Two Great Tastes That Taste Better Together

Dan Gould

Louis Prima & Keely Smith. Mr. Prima had a long and successful recording career before he met Ms. Smith, and he continued to record after their partnership/marriage ended. Ms. Smith recorded a number of albums as a solo artist, both during her time with Mr. Prima's band and subsequently. But the two of them together made music that surpassed what each did individually

Billy Higgins with Ornette. Never more inventive. Obviously he cut a purple patch in Englewood Cliffs with Butch Warren but I think his hard bop stuff barely hints at the ingenuity he was capable of.

Though I suppose that only works for Higgins. Obviously Ornette did even better with Blackwell and just as well with Moffett and Denardo.

Edited by colinmce

Greg Osby & Jason Moran.

IMHO, nothing Obsy's done since Moran left his group around 2001 has quite rivaled what they recorded before (together).

And Moran's own leader output was never better than during the time he was with Osby.

I hope they record together again someday.

Anybody know if they had a falling out?