baritone sax

Milestones

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I was just goofin' about Lars Gullin - BUT - I can't say that I've ever heard anything by him that strikes me as too much more than a really fine improvisor, but more or less strictly of his time and place, kinda like Gerry Mulligan minus the unattractive American-ness..and kinda like Lee Konitz minus the attractive American-ness.

Gullin advocates, give me something musical to think about, please, but not too much, please.

Who was the guy who played bari with Ozzie Nelson?

Tate Houston! Not with Ozzie Nelson, but still, bari palyer! And Trevor Koehler! Sad story, but also, still, bari player!

But who was the guy with Ozzie Nelson? He was no Jack Washington, that's for sure, so let's hear some love for Jack Washington?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvdpVq86uYk

Back in the late 90s, I was, as usual for that time in my life, at the Montreal Jazz Festival. I spent a lot of time wandering around from stage to stage when I stumbled upon a performance that was right out in the street. If memory serves, it was outside on the street around where the old Spectrum was, for those who know the site. At any rate, the crowd was huge, and they were groovin'. The band that was playing was an organ trio. B3, drums and Baritone Sax. Holy crap - one of the most memorable shows I ever saw there. Totally greasy, totally honking and totally fun.

The baritone sax player was actually the leader of the group. His name is Charles Papasoff. The group was apparently one of his side projects called Organ Donor Clinic. Just to hear that baritone honking and echoing around the streets of Montreal with the B3 along for the ride was a really cool experience. It was actually the first time I had ever hear the baritone sax live.

I bought their CD, but was disappointed to find out it was recorded a few years earlier with Papaoff on tenor. Good, but not the same. So the performance lives only in my memory.

Love John Surman who's album 'The Trio' is a masterpiece, and Ronnie Ross, the album with Bill le Sage pictured above was one of the first in my collection. I would also endorse Alan Barnes who handles the tenor and the alto like a master but I am always most pleased when he picks up the baritone.

A young(ish) guy that I've seen a few times around the Essex scene recently is Mick Foster who's album 'Four Views' is very much worth a listen.

• 3 weeks later...