Bobby Hutcherson's health status

Hardbopjazz

I have a ticket to this concert at JALC, but Bobby Hutcherson has canceled and will not be playing due to his emphysema.

While jazz is an art form with a rich and profound history, it is also a living and breathing medium of expression which continues to be galvanized by its legacy. In this spirit, Jazz at Lincoln Center honors legends who have left a significant footprint in history while continuing to both nurture the now and inspire the future. In the first installment of this series, JALC honored “jazz impresario” George Wein. This year’s honoree is master vibraphonist and veteran bandleader Bobby Hutcherson. Hutcherson, originally scheduled to appear on this concert, is not able to participate as planned. “I’m thankful to be honored by Jazz at Lincoln Center,” he said. “I’ve been looking forward to this event and being reunited with some old (and new) friends for close to a year. Unfortunately, my emphysema has progressed to the point where I can no longer fly long distances. I know the show will be great, and I will be watching the webcast.” Known for his originative four-mallet approach to the vibes, Hutcherson is one of the pioneers of his instrument along with greats Lionel Hampton and Milt Jackson. The concert will span his noteworthy ensembles, which throughout the last five decades included Eric Dolphy, Andrew Hill, Herbie Hancock and Harold Land. Likewise, performances from Renee Rosnes, Ray Drummond and veterans of Hutcherson’s prolific 1960s era, Stanley Cowell and Joe Chambers will represent the various incarnations of Hutcherson’s line-ups, along with handpicked protégés Steve Nelson and Warren Wolf. A special video interview with Hutcherson will augment the perform

Those that smoke, it will kill you one day or make your life hell.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

One could easily (and accurately) say the same thing about getting married, having kids,and/or getting a corporate job. If it doesn't kill you, it makes you wish you were dead.

All decisions have consequences.

Really sorry/sad to hear this about Bobby, and no, I don't advocate laxity towards smoking, anything but, so glad I quit when I did. Nevertheless, if, god forbid, he drops dead right now, he made his life count in a way that a bajillion non-smokers haven't. So I'll choose to note that over the route by which he is exiting.

I wonder if he could take a train instead of flying. Seriously.

You can't take an oxygen tank on a plane, so someone with COPD can't risk being without O2. Can you take a O2 tank on a train or bus? I don't know that answer.

I wasn't trying to make this discussion on not smoking. I was just pointing out that Bobby is now limited to his performances. I did see him two years ago at JALC. HE played with Renee Rosnes. He did have a oxygen tank on stage and had to sit out on two numbers.

You can't take an oxygen tank on a plane, so someone with COPD can't risk being without O2. Can you take a O2 tank on a train or bus? I don't know that answer.

I wasn't trying to make this discussion on not smoking. I was just pointing out that Bobby is now limited to his performances. I did see him two years ago at JALC. HE played with Renee Rosnes. He did have a oxygen tank on stage and had to sit out on two numbers.

You can (in Australia) - the problem is that portable oxygen cylinders are small & don't last long

One of my sons was a 25 weeker premmie & was on oxygen, at home, for 6 months after spending 5 months in neonatal intensive care post partum

I used to take him on public transport without any issues, but that was back in 1992

Maybe with new terrorism issues since 9/11, an oxygen cylinder could be considered a weapon (not the case here AFAIK)

I have a friend who is on oxygen 24/7 and flies many times a year on major airlines so I don't know where Hardbopjazz gets that information. if a person is frail, travel itself is exhausting. Bobby has always been a favorite and I'm sure he's doing what's best for him. and I'm certain he's more than disappointed not to be able to make it.

There are a lot of buffoons that work at JALC. Here's one minor example:

Known for his originative four-mallet approach to the vibes, Hutcherson is one of the pioneers of his instrument along with greats Lionel Hampton and Milt Jackson.

Bobby is a master and a innovator, but he hasn't used the four mallet style in decades. I'm sure some minion plagiarized this from somewhere.

As far as the vibraphonist that are playing the tribute, Nelson and Wolf are fine musicians, but the real direct line heir to Bobby H. is Joe Locke.

I may be wrong. I got this information from a neighbor a few years back who was on oxygen and was told by an airlines that they couldn't accommodate him on flight from NY to Hawaii.

I have a friend who is on oxygen 24/7 and flies many times a year on major airlines so I don't know where Hardbopjazz gets that information. if a person is frail, travel itself is exhausting. Bobby has always been a favorite and I'm sure he's doing what's best for him. and I'm certain he's more than disappointed not to be able to make it.

There are a lot of buffoons that work at JALC. Here's one minor example:

Known for his originative four-mallet approach to the vibes, Hutcherson is one of the pioneers of his instrument along with greats Lionel Hampton and Milt Jackson.

Bobby is a master and a innovator, but he hasn't used the four mallet style in decades. I'm sure some minion plagiarized this from somewhere.

As far as the vibraphonist that are playing the tribute, Nelson and Wolf are fine musicians, but the real direct line heir to Bobby H. is Joe Locke.

I saw Bobby Hutcherson sit in with the McCoy Tyner Trio around '98 or so, he did use 4 mallets on a couple songs that evening.