Bobby Hutcherson's health status

Hardbopjazz

• 2 weeks later...

I came late to an appreciation of Bobby Hutcherson, thanks largely to the encouragement of hutchfan over on the defunct - or at least comotose - AAJ forum. I really like several of his albums...

Hey Buddha!!! Just joined up here at organissimo.

...Sad to hear the news of Bobby's increasing frailty. :(

• 1 month later...

Here's some good news for any one in the SF Bay aRea looking for a New Year's Eve to remember:

Bring in the new year with the Bobby Hutcherson Quintet,

in a rare coastside performance.

http://sanjose.jazznearyou.com/event_detail.php?id=553743

Great news that his heath seems to be better, every show I've seen him do has been nothing but outstanding. I know it sounds strange, but he strikes me as very "musical," by that I mean he has an innate sense of what he wants to play. I know I'm not describing it too well, but it's like the feeling I get listening to Thad Jones, it's the sound of an artist that has the sixth sense about music. Anyway, $75.00 is out of my league, I'd love to see him play again, but I rejoice that he's out and about.

Hope he improves. I saw him once, early 90s at a long gone club in Islington, London. I spoke to him and he was very humble, gave time to talk, just a nice man in general. I have stacks of his Lps, Less known but worth picking up his Japanese Blue notes - Oblique and Inner Glow.

• 1 month later...