Pharoah Sanders, Thembi

Guy Berger

Hey guys,

I was finally going to get around to picking up the reissue of Pharoah Sanders's Thembi and realized the late 90s reissue has gone OOP. Amazon instead offers this import: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000024Y5J?pc_redir=1413733105&robot_redir=1

Is there any reason I should avoid this? It's not a CD-R, right?

There's some good and some not so good on it, but it is a relic of a fascinating musical era. Worth it if you are into that era. I am, big-time.

This.

Definitely a "product of its time", as they say, but those 70s Pharoah impulse! albums are all messy in some form or fashion.

I'd rather have it than not have it.

Hey guys,

I was finally going to get around to picking up the reissue of Pharoah Sanders's Thembi and realized the late 90s reissue has gone OOP. Amazon instead offers this import: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000024Y5J?pc_redir=1413733105&robot_redir=1

The link Lon provided is simply the EU pressing of the disc Guy said is OOP in the US. None of these EU pressings are CD-rs. There's simply some old stock left.

What I said previously basically stands, I ordered two of these Impulse Master Sessions digipaks earlier this year and they were old stock.

I just noticed one disc that does have a CD-R warning on amazon.de. Alice Coltrane's A Monastic Trio which is listed with a January 2013 release date (unlike the Pharoah Sanders disc).

Hey guys,

The link Lon provided is simply the EU pressing of the disc Guy said is OOP in the US. None of these EU pressings are CD-rs. There's simply some old stock left.

What I said previously basically stands, I ordered two of these Impulse Master Sessions digipaks earlier this year and they were old stock.

I just noticed one disc that does have a CD-R warning on amazon.de. Alice Coltrane's A Monastic Trio which is listed with a January 2013 release date (unlike the Pharoah Sanders disc).

Buying from an Amazon Marketplace seller should eliminate the CD-R fears. There are a lot of reputable sellers listed for that 'Thembi' listing. Better prices than Amazon direct also.

I like that album, it´s really a nice thing. I also like the percussion stuff on it very very much.

But I think it´s not as great as Karma or "Live at the East", the latter one was the first Pharoah Sanders album I got, shortly after it was in the stores, and anyway one of my first albums, when I was still a kid....

I still have it, and thought I´d like Mr. Sanders to sign it for me, but I was a bit afraid so I didn´t ask him, especially after I heard that he is not pleased with the stuff he did earlier. ...

i recall this as the ultimate schizo Pharoah--

pharoah_sanders_love_in_us_all.jpg

a side forgettably pleasant, b side perhaps his single greatest blowout, back when such meant a lot. and the context...

Yeah, I like that one a lot!

Live at the East is very good as well. Black Unity is wonderful too. And Jewels of Thought gets into some pretty bonkers stuff. Tauhid is beautiful but oddly not my go-to Pharoah (which, if anyone cares, is the Strata-East).

Do like Black Unity, Karma, Thembi (as mentioned, THE bass solo) and Live at the East from the Impulse days

His later efforts didnt do a lot for me, omitting this release from 1981 on Theresa

7859ba0a4a.jpg

one track (former vinyl A-side) titled "You've Got To Have Freedom" out of nowhere burns like in the "good old days", to a vast extent also due to the propelling rhythm section John Hicks+Walter Booker+Idris Muhammad...wish this track would go on and on and on.....

Edited by soulpope

Do like Black Unity, Karma, Thembi (as mentioned, THE bass solo) and Live at the East from the Impulse days

His later efforts didnt do a lot for me, omitting this release from 1981 on Theresa

7859ba0a4a.jpg

one track (former vinyl A-side) titled "You've Got To Have Freedom" out of nowhere burns like in the "good old days", to a vast extent also due to the propelling rhythm section John Hicks+Walter Booker+Idris Muhammad...wish this track would go on and on and on.....

Yeah, that's my favorite Pharoah cut ever. The adavantage of his later playing is that he no longer felt the need to insert the formulaic, often gratuitous "freak out" section into every solo. I think I could make a great 2 CDR set out of the prime cuts from his Impulse sides, should do that. "The Creator Has a Master Plan" and "Black Unity" would fill one disk. The other one would have "Upper Egypt", "Hum-Allah", "Elevation", and some of the other mid-70's stuff, including the first side from 'Village of The Pharoahs'.

The gems on 'Thembi' for me have always been the title cut and "Morning Prayer", which is largely a Lonnie Liston Smith feature.

Edited by felser