Pharoah Sanders, Thembi

Guy Berger

The 1981 live album with John Hicks is really great.

Another live album from that period : "Heart is a Melody", with a rare version of Tadd Damerons "On a Misty Night".

You mentioned "Love is Everywhere". I also like that very much. The title melody got that peaceful mood that I first found in "Healing Song" from "At The East".

I like that album, it´s really a nice thing. I also like the percussion stuff on it very very much.

But I think it´s not as great as Karma or "Live at the East", the latter one was the first Pharoah Sanders album I got, shortly after it was in the stores, and anyway one of my first albums, when I was still a kid....

I still have it, and thought I´d like Mr. Sanders to sign it for me, but I was a bit afraid so I didn´t ask him, especially after I heard that he is not pleased with the stuff he did earlier. ...

He signed my copy of Tauhid when he played London about a decade ago. He was very sweet about it (possibly helped that my girlfriend gave him a kiss on the cheek).

Franklin Kiermyer/Pharoah-Sanders - Solomon's Daughter

Believe it.

:tup

:tup

When I was in college in the mid-70's, Lonnie Liston Smith was very popular; truly a crossover artist.

When I did a weekly jazz radio show at college in the mid-70's, I named it "Expansions" and used Smith's "Expansions" and Charles Earland's "Leaving This Planet" as my theme songs.

• 2 months later...