The Tuba players

mjazzg

OK, so we've had the bass and baritone players....let's hear it for the real low end

Inspired to start the thread by Howard Johnson's monster performance on 'Balance' from Pharoah Sanders' Izipho Zam

let's hear your favourite tuba performances

Edited by mjazzg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Live recently at two shows this year Bob Stewart laying down some monster grooves with wonderous improvisatory twists with the sometimes wild Lucien Ban/Mat Maneri Quintet.

The second show this past Summer had the band firing on all cylinders and Bob Stewart is a main reason why. This band needs to be recorded.

Dan Peck is a fine NY musician while Per Ake Holmlander (sp?) is a big favorite with the Barry Guy New Orchestra.

Marcus Rojas

Saw him Summer 2013 with Michael Moore's "American" Available Jelly

Check out the band, Mark

Michael Moore: alto saxophone & clarinet

Ellery Eskelin: tenor saxophone

Tony Malaby: tenor & soprano saxophones

Ray Anderson: trombone

Marcus Rojas: tuba

Gerry Hemingway: drums

Plus the one 70 minute set was even better than my very high expectations. Never played together before or since - and the music is not easily translated as the original version(s) of the band have been playing variations of this music for maybe 25 years.

I saw Joseph Daley with the Bill Cole Untempered Ensemble earlier this year in DC (it's somewhere in the Live Performance thread) and he really knocked me out playing tuba and euphonium. The guy is phenomenal. Really. Daley has played with a lot of fine ensembles, including Sam Rivers with whom he had a close association. Here's his bio data:

http://www.jazz.com/encyclopedia/daley-joseph-peter

Edited by Leeway

William Roper. He's recorded several recitals of solo tuba, but my favorite of the work I've heard from him is to be found on a cooperative release, DOUBLE YELLOW. Rob Blakeslee, Michael Vlatkovich, Brad Dutz.

http://www.thankyourecords.com/catalog-2.html

Giancarlo Schiaffini's TUBA LIBRE on Random Acoustics is highly recommended.

Finally, Don Butterfield...

MI0000664128.jpg

MI0000588541.jpg

As far as live goes, Howard Johnson (with George Gruntz' Concert Jazz Band) was the best I ever saw - amazing!

Don Butterfield is on "The Blues and the Abstract Truth" as well - wonderful playing!

Not sure about Draper, his phrasing was off so often, as if his technique couldn't quite keep up with his ideas ... but I love his tuba on Dr. John's "The Sun Moon and Herbs"!

I saw Joseph Daley with the Bill Cole Untempered Ensemble earlier this year in DC (it's somewhere in the Live Performance thread) and he really knocked me out playing tuba and euphonium. The guy is phenomenal. Really. Daley has played with a lot of fine ensembles, including Sam Rivers with whom he had a close association. Here's his bio data:

http://www.jazz.com/encyclopedia/daley-joseph-peter

Joe Daley is fantastic. With Rivers, he gets the fullest exposure on the Horo trio dates (he also plays baritone horn) plus the Circle label recordings where he tries to drown out an univited guest. He was also with Howard Johnson's tuba-powered Gravity. A good place to check Daley, Johnson and a whole lot of other tubas is Taj Mahal's The Real Thing (check out the banjo plus tuba on "Tom and Sally Drake").

Julius Watkins on........

1399826049_front.jpg

French horn, maybe?

Don Butterfield is on "The Blues and the Abstract Truth" as well - wonderful playing!

Not sure about Draper, his phrasing was off so often, as if his technique couldn't quite keep up with his ideas ... but I love his tuba on Dr. John's "The Sun Moon and Herbs"!

Black Saint & The Sinner Lady, maybe?

Can't leave Bill Barber unmentioned as an ensemble player. You'll be hard-pressed, still, to find that type of thing done better.

Put me down with the Johnson, Daley, Stewart, and anybody who's with Threadgill crowd. Coming of age as I did in the era when funk/R&B was bringing the bass so far into the forefront, the viscerality of these guys' playing was difficult to ignore, and damn near impossible to be attracted to.

Respect & appreciate Draper more than I really like him...a rough life, apparently, lots of "distractions".

Are we including Sousaphone in this discussion as well? I suppose we are, what with Cyrus St. Clair and all.

I also saw Joe Daley years back with Eskelin-Parkins-Black with Eric Freidlander also added to the trio. They have a recording of the trio + 2 on hatology. I remember being very impressed with the show although it must have been almost 15 years ago so it is bit foggy.

I think I'm going to dig up the CD for listening this weekend

Who was the dude who tubed with Taj years ago, went by some funny nickname?

You talking about Howard Johnson's 4 tuba band...Substructure, right? Probably not...

Stumbled across this...that's a lot of bass to be hardly heard!

As well as this, which leads to how do we not recall Red Callender?!?!?! http://www.wirz.de/music/tubafrm.htm

I've been avoiding these kinds of threads, because they turn into a list of every .... player who has ever recorded. But this is a case in which my favorite tuba is unlikely to be mentioned by anyone else.

Matt Perrine, the busiest tuba player in New Orleans (for good reason), is more associated with the city's traditional jazz movement and with brass band funk than "mainstream" jazz, but he's excellent at everything he plays. (He's a very good string bassist, as well). His best album is probably Sunflower City - his website describes it as blending traditional jazz and calypso, but there's a lot more than that there. And the cover photo is touching, but only if you look carefully.

81036ANuGKL._SX466_.jpg

I tried to find a YouTube clip that shows off what he can do. This is ten minutes of the Tin Men, one of the many bands of which he's a member. Matt plays one of his amazing solos at 4:45. (By the way, genial cover songs sung by Washboard Chaz are only part of what the band does, although that's the only part of their repertoire represented here.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqB88W7cXpw

Edited by jeffcrom

While looking for some examples of tubaist Jim Self's work, I stumbled across this (Self was on the band) message from another world and time:

Roger Bobo did the Ellis band too.

Funny how it used to be perceived as hip to wear all white. Now it's all black. One painful, the other boring. Whatever happened to palates?

Jim Self (a Hollywood studio mainstay for many years) was the voice of the mothership in “Close Encounters of the Third Kind”:

and made at least one very tasty album:

http://www.amazon.com/InnerPlay-Jim-Self/dp/B000A5F5EQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1414725213&sr=1-1&keywords=jim+self

The man can play and improvise.

http://www.bassethoundmusic.com/bio.htm