The Tuba players

mjazzg

42 minutes ago, Niko said:

btw, regarding your points on Draper and the role of the tuba within a jazz band: I haven't played the Roach albums in ages but iirc there is already some development from Draper's first recordings with McLean and Coltrane (age 16/17), where the tuba is used like a trombone, to those with Max Roach (age 18/19), if only because of the different lineup (tp ts tuba b dr)

It seems odd, doesn't it? If you have a tuba, why not use it? It's not like there was no history of tuba in jazz. 

I wonder whether part of it was imaginative / aesthetic resistance to the New Orleans revival, which I suppose was still going at that time and might have been something with which a younger player in the '50s might not have wanted to be associated. 

Edited by Rabshakeh

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not an intrinsically "fluid" instrument to play fluent bebop lines on (or wasn't, until enough people showed that it could be done, but that came later), and considering the lifestyle of the time, are you going to carry a tuba around all day and night looking for the next jam session?

On 2/8/2021 at 3:49 AM, JSngry said:

It's not an intrinsically "fluid" instrument to play fluent bebop lines on (or wasn't, until enough people showed that it could be done, but that came later) ...

Not sure that I can think of anybody who could do that fluently. Who would you recommend?