2014-2015 Hot Stove League

JSngry

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andrew Friedman left the Rays to be GM of the Dodgers.

Joe Maddon is expected to leave the Rays to manage the Cubs.

Locally, highly successful interim manger Tim Bogar did not make the final cut for the permanent gig. Instead, it went to Jeff Bannister, a Clint Hurdle protege. It's a choice that has local fans sort of excited, as the expectations are for a more Saber-sensitive in-game management, the one thing that really irked all but the most die-hard Ron Washington fans, although Bannister has been quoted as saying that ultimately, he trusts his gut too.

What happened?

Nationals are not offering contracts to Adam LaRoche or Raphael Soriano. They DID make an offer to Denard Span.

I know you're an NL guy but ... the Rays GM went to L.A., and the Rays manager opted out of the last year of his contract, and according to reports, is likely to become the next manager of the Cubs.

Count me as pleased that the Red Sox inked Koji for two more years, though 18 million seems a bit high for a 40 year old. But even with his hiccup last August, his stats from the last two years are remarkable. I'm just surprised he accepted an offer without waiting for free agency to actually begin.

Koji...I liked that guy, but he was quirky. His first half-season here, he was always whining on Twitter abut how hot it was here and how lonely he was in his hotel room. It kinda died down once the Tweets started getting translated to English and posted on Lone Star Ball. And then next year, when Yu got here, it always seemd that he wasn't cool with the Japanese media circus surorunding Darvish.

Helluva pitcher, though, plenty of heartonce on the mound. But he sure seemed quirky when off it.

Hmmm ... never heard anything like that after he got to Boston. I just liked the way he used to run off the mound and high-five everyone when he finished a successful 7th or 8th inning, and of course after he became the closer, seeing Papi flip him over his shoulder after he nailed down the win.

Here's a nice profile of him:

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/red-sox/content/20130927-language-barrier-can-t-contain-personality-of-uehara.ece

Maybe he's happier in Boston because Tazawa is on the roster with him?

I think he didn't like being in Texas, period. Many people don't!

Being traded by the Orioles, also, I think...he kinda felt betrayed or something.

Dude can pitch, though, and I never heard anything about him not being a "good teammate" in the clubhouse. It jut seemed that he didn't like being here, that it was not his preference.

• 3 weeks later...

Crazy.

I'm still digesting it all but as long as this doesn't send Xander Boegarts out of town in exchange for pitching, I guess I am alright with this. Assuming that Ramirez can handle LF without killing us. Ramirez is certainly an impact bat and I like him more than Sandoval, who just doesn't project to be a very good player by the last couple of years of his deal.

Cherington has certainly transformed the lineup, now I'm waiting to see what happens with the pitching staff before I pop any corks.

Dick Allen should be in. What a great player he was.

You know who had 624 more hits, 270 more RBI's , also hit .300 or better 7 times? And oh yeah, caught most of his career? Ted Simmons.

No one ever talks about him being HOF worthy (well a few big names like Gammons, Obermann, and Tim Kurkjian. According to Tim...

“Over the past 50 years, of catchers who caught at least 1,500 games, only Mike Piazza and Rodriguez have a higher career batting average than Simmons (.294), and only four have a higher OPS -- Piazza, Jorge Posada, Bench and Fisk. What separates Simmons from so many other catchers in baseball history is that he hit in the middle of the order for most of his career. He hit fourth in 56 percent of his starts, and fifth in 30 percent. You can bet that all catchers who hit in the middle of the order as often as Simmons (1,600 of 2,067 starts) are in the Hall of Fame. That's where Simmons belongs because, by most any statistical measure, Piazza, Bench and Simmons are the best offensive catchers of the past 50 years."

Not sure if he doesn't mention Rodriguez in the last sentence because of the possible steroid issue, or that he had so many more AB's

I saw on MLBTV a panel hosted by Bobby Costas (Who started off, or at least became famous in St. Louis) and they had a segment on possible HOF players, Bernie Williams, perhaps Dick Allen...many players were discussed, Ted Simmons was not one of them :(

Thus concludes my semi annual Ted Simmons is a HOF'er rant.

Edited by BERIGAN

I lied ;)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/444199-ted-simmons-why-the-cardinals-greatest-catcher-is-cooperstown-worthy

Simmons's best stretch came from 1971-80, when he was simply unstoppable at the plate.

In 1970, Simmons backed up Joe Torre, but took over in '71 when Torre moved to third base. Simmons immediately produced, posting a line of .304/.347/.424, good for the second-highest batting average among catchers. His 32 doubles were tied for sixth in the league.

For the next nine years, however, Simmons improved to become one of the greatest hitting catchers around. From 1971-80, Simmons caught over 130 games seven times, accounting for nearly 92% of his games played, leading the league in games caught three times. Simmons was clearly not only the best hitting catcher in baseball, but one of the most durable.

Here's the real kicker, though. In his first ten full years in the bigs, Simmons had an OPS+ of 131, and his single-season mark never fell below 114, the number he posted in his first full season, 1971. To put that into perspective, Hall of Famer Ryne Sandberg has a career OPS+ of 114, while Robin Yount and catcher Gary Carter have career marks of 115. Remember, that's the lowest Simmons went for an entire decade.

Players with a career OPS+ of 131 or lower include Rod Carew (131), Roberto Clemente (130), Carl Yastrzemski, and Eddie Murray (129).

Among Hall of Fame catchers, none can match that mark. Only Mike Piazza, generally regarded as one of the greatest catchers ever, and Gene Tenace, who played just under 60% of his game behind the plate, have a higher OPS+.

It really is true you can't go home again. Lester to the Cubs. Well I guess the silver lining is that he's not in the Bronx (anyone have a clue why the Yankees were never in on him? Did Lester tell them he wouldn't sign so don't try? Are they saving their dollars for Scherzer? He'll cost much more, he's a year younger but still ... Lester in pinstripes has been my nightmare scenario since the Red Sox screwed up the negotiation last spring.)

And, the Cubs are my second team and this makes them much closer to being contenders. If the Cubs win it all in the next six years I'll have a different view of this turn of events.

• 2 weeks later...

Not much happening in the Giants clubhouse this off season.

They lost Pablo Sandoval because he wanted a new challenge...? So, he was tired of winning the World Series, or what? Congratulations, Dan!

Missed out on the Lester Young sweepstakes. He chose the Cubbies over the WS Champion Giants? M'kay.

And Michael Morse flew the coup for big bucks in Miami.

But they did pick up Casey McGehee. A strong hitter and a local guy, but no Panda that's for sure.

Signed Sergio Romo, a good pick, but Jake Peavy? Ugh. They desperately need another bona fide starter. The MadBum can't pitch every night.

So we wait and see what this will bring for the Giants in 2015.

BTW...three rings in five years is pretty darn good, wouldn't you say? :tup:D

Edited by TimMcG