Le Déjeuner Sur L'Herbe!

RogerF

At long last the brilliant Le Déjeuner Sur L'Herbe recorded in 1968 by the New Jazz Orchestra under the leadership of the late Neil Ardley is being re-issued for the first time on CD. This classic recording features Ian Carr, Henry Lowther, Dave Gelly, Harry Beckett, Mike Gibbs, Derek Watkins, Dick Heckstall-Smith, Barbara Thompson, Frank Ricotti, Jack Bruce (on double bass!) and Jon Hiseman, amongst others. The Dusk Fire release (DUSKCD110) is superbly packaged in digipak format with a booklet of photographs and extensive sleeve notes by Dave Gelly and others. It has been described in an extended article on the recording as “One of the finest jazz recordings ever made and arguably the best big band recording by British musicians …” (Jazz Journal February 2012)(*). It has a 1,000 CD limited run, so get your order in now! It's released on 6 January 2015.

Neil-Ardley-Le-Djeuner-Sur-LH-559887.jpg

Track listing:
Le Déjeuner sur l'Herbe
Naïma
Angle
Ballad
Dusk Fire
Nardis
Study
Rebirth

(*) ok, declaration of interest here...I was the author of that article!

Edited by RogerF

Good record - I have a fairly basic CD-r copy Neil Ardley put out himself. Be nice to have a fully restored version.

Same here too but - this deserved to be officially re-issued years ago. Now thankfully it is. No vinyl, but some original used vinyl copies do re-emerge from time to time commanding ridiculous prices.

Good record - I have a fairly basic CD-r copy Neil Ardley put out himself. Be nice to have a fully restored version.

Same here too but - this deserved to be officially re-issued years ago. Now thankfully it is. No vinyl, but some original used vinyl copies do re-emerge from time to time commanding ridiculous prices.

Yes I understand originals are expensive; what I was asking is if there will be a reissue on vinyl in addition to the CD reissue?

Dealing with the points above in order. I am not aware of an impending vinyl release for this, but it isn't impossible as I seem to remember this did happen with Rendell Carr Live at the Union but sadly this was not a Dusk Fire release. It may well happen, but there is no mention of this in the press release I've seen. Also, with regard to the release and availability, again the press release states the date as 6 January but on Amazon it says 5 January. So some ambiguity there, but rest assured this is going to happen definitely, at the very start of January. No mention on the Dusk Fire website yet but again, I'm sure that will be amended quite shortly. It will be worth the wait.

6th might be US date?

In the UK new releases come out on Mon; I get the impression Tuesday is the US date.

So far no US release date (not in the Amazon.com system). Given shipping prices it might actually be cheaper to get it up here in Canada from the UK site than the US! Anyway, this looks like one that I will be springing for. Thanks for the update.