Blindfold Test #128 Discussion Thread

Noj

Good Morning,

Download links have been messaged. Please let me know asap if there is any trouble with the download, as this is my first time using that service.

I hope no one is put out by the length of the test. It's 29 tracks total. Some are short, some are long, but I had a tough time paring it down and just decided to include them all!

I will be in Seattle this coming Monday through Thursday, and will likely be busy for the rest of the weekend so I won't be around for the first week of the guessing and discussion. Enjoy!

Jon

Track 1 - Uh, no clue. It’s not my bag, baby.

Track 2 - I know the tune, but hell if I know the name. Sound is a struggle… thought it was a violin at first. I like this but it’s not a genre I’m particularly versed in. Easier for me to say who it’s not than who it is.
Track 3 - I like this. It doesn’t strike me as Jazzy (actually reminds me of the rock band I worked with until recently), but it’s a pleasurable feel. No idea… sensing a trend in that regard.
Track 4 - Those brushes are the perfect follow-up to the last track — nice programming. Ah, the dreaded clarinet. ;) This works… works in every way. Can’t hazard a guess, but I like this a lot.
Track 5 - A little Red Clay for the pottery collection. I’m so pathetic that I’ve never learned the head, but I always love it when a rhythm section breaks into this vamp — it’s a fun ride. Has the CTI studio sound, but the drums are a little too real; seems like someone newer doing an homage to that style (and doing it well). Yeah, this is a keeper. Funny, if I heard this in the 80s, the Coryell-ish guitar would have driven me buggy, but given the way everybody wants to sound like Ben Monder now, I find this refreshing. Is this Larry?
Track 6 - I like the arrangement, but it’s not really swinging. Harmonies are nice, but I like a big band to swing a bit more than this — seems a tad disconnected. Somebody has spent his time studying the hell out of Coltrane or this is the real deal. Ah! No, I know what this is. It’s track 8 from this. The band doesn’t really swing, though, in spite of the personnel, and Blakey is too controlled in this setting.
Track 7 - Sounds like a tune B.B. King did with the Jazz Crusaders (Hold On). A bit quiet storm, but I’m digging it. Could this be a Joe Sample project with the same tune?
Track 8 - I have this… but can I identify it? My original thought was Andrew Hill with Joe Henderson, but it’s not him. Could be Farrell, could even be Tyrone Washington. Given the uneven mix, I’m almost thinking it’s the trumpeter’s gig. I’ve got to say Woody Shaw. I’m sticking with Andrew Hill, though. It’s got to be one of the unreleased tracks that made the Mosaic Box. I’ll stick with Woody and Andrew and say Joe Farrell on tenor. Either Freddie Waits or Lenny White on drums. I can’t hear the bass all that well. Sounds like Grant Green on guitar to me, but later Grant. I would check this, but my desktop (with the iTunes drive) is out for repair at the moment. I’m dying inside a little.
Track 9 - Love from the get go. Terrific arrangement! Almost sounds like George Russel’s work to me. but more melodic. Could be Oliver Nelson on alto. Unsure on the keys… a bit like early Cecil, but not him. Man, what a beautiful arrangement. I like this a lot. Need this badly.
Track 10 - Ah, the old major-2nd chord change… I’m all over this. This is basically every song I’ve ever written. :) Very aggressive, ballsy tenor. Influenced by those Turrentine CTI dates, but this is less commercial. Sounds more like Tyrone Washington’s record to me. This is bad ass! Man, I’m sporting a full-on music boner. This is my bag, right here. Goes a little Chicago at about 2:15, but… man… who’s the guy this reminds me of… I can see the album cover… redish/pink, late sixties. Love the vocalizing. MUST have this. Wish I could remember who it is I’m thinking of… dude played a lot of flute, too.
Track 11 - Got a little Charade feel to it. I’m in. Great tune — been hooked on it since I heard the Sonny Clark version with ‘Trane. Could this be Chris Connor? Sounded a shade like Rouse on tenor, but that’s not right.
Track 12 - Cookin’ 70s style. Got my Caddie with the windows down, 8-track blaring with some bad ass platform shoes. Not Freddie, but close. Sounds like either Perty Purdie or Grady Tate on drums. Certified ass-shaker. No idea on the guitar. Not sure of the tenor, but he’s filthy. I recognize that sound and those machine gun riffs in there, but I can’t put a name to him. Again, up my alley. Not the most technically proficient stuff, but cooks and makes my innards happy; can’t ask for more than that. Love me some Rhodes, too. Man, that drummer is pretty filthy — don’t think it’s either of the guys I mentioned; too snappy. That snare is relentless. Gotta have THIS! Almost has that Roy Haynes thing going on with the snare. Absolutely bitchin’.
Track 13 - Filthy pianist. Sick chops. I want to say Oscar Peterson, but it seems like somebody perhaps even filthier than that! Pretty sure I have all of the Phineas stuff, but it’s on that level. This cat is OUT! Man, this is great. I’d love to see this live — have a guy so baaaaaaaad he gets the audience eating out of his hand and then nails them with a pocket full of soul while he’s at it. Johnny Griffin was like that the one time I saw him.
Track 14 - Cheesy 80s compressed drums aside, I liked the intro. Meh, not crazy about this. Too late 70s cheese for my taste. Somebody out of the Joe Henderson school with a heavy Grover Washington influence. Egad, at 3:03, please shoot that bassist. Gotta pass on this.
Track 15 - I like this. Quirky, kind of like the Booker Ervin stuff with Han Bennink; it’s different, but has that feel. I assume this is a live recording. I’m to throw an off-the-wall guess and say early Joe McPhee. Tenor is all soul, not much on the technique (and I mean that as a compliment). Drums aren’t getting carried away with drumming, just playing the music (the way Luther Gray does it! Man! I wish there were more like him!). Has the sound of one of those India Navigation recordings. Nothing flashy here, just playing the music. MORE, please!!!!!
This is a long-ass BFT! Going to take two runs to get this all in. Done for tonight (wife has been patient).

4 – This is beautiful and I’m sure I own it, but can’t place it.. Whoever did it has heard the Dolphy/bassist duets.

5 – “Red Clay”, nice guitar.

6 – Tenor is unmistakably 50’s Coltrane, so I was able to ID. “The Outer World” from ‘The Art Blakey Big Band’ on Bethlehem.

9 - Really like this

10 – Good tenor player, but don’t like the vocal asides.

12 – This kicks! 70’s! Feels like I own this. Reminds me of the 70’s Prestige Blakey albums with Shaw, Walton, Jefferson, and Bass.

15 – Totally up my alley, Coltranish modalish wonderfulness! Must acquire if I don’t already own it! Feel like I know the tenor player.

17 – “Mode for Joe” from the Eastern Rebellion album with George Coleman. Classic!

19 – “Bumpin’ on Sunset” by Wes Montgomery. Must be a single edit. Love what Brian Auger did with this one in the 70’s.

24 – like the tenor player, even in this context. Sorto bizarre vocals.

29 – “Michelle” of course.

Edited by felser

Well, I knew I’d likely suck at this, but it’s proving harder than I even thought it would be. Taking on the first third of this challenge, there’s only one I’m pretty sure I’ve got. Most, I can’t even hazard a meaningful guess. ‘Fun giving these a listen, though, and giving it a whirl. Anyway, as for 1-9, here are a few listening notes:

Track 1 Guitar/mandolin duet. It’s an old bluegrass standard, but I can’t recall the name of tune. ‘Sounds like an old recording. Guitar player sounds a lot like Doc Watson, but the recording sounds older than that. ‘Don’t’ know who this is, but I dig this kind of stuff.

Track 2 Minnie The Moocher? Trumpet lead, muted. Larger band comes in. Sounds like the ‘30’s. 2nd solo has some Louis-like humor in it. No clue who this is, but I like it.

Track 3 Cool head! Reverby, Morricone-influenced Africana. Recording sounds more modern but could be as old as late ‘60’s. Something about the percussion makes me think this may actually be Caribbean. Again, no clue, but I really dig it!

Track 4 Opens – bass, brushes, what is that instrument? Some kind of low reed, like a flute of some sort, possibly a clarinet? African? Bass and brushes sound like jazz players. Yusef Lateef?

Track 5 Backbeat/fusion. ‘Recognize the tune. Red Clay. ‘Gotta be from the ‘70’s (possibly the early ‘80’s?). It’s the guitarist’s date, but none of the really big names fit. Coryell, perhaps, but I don’t think so. (Note: with a little detective work, I’m pretty sure I’ve nailed this one, but it wasn’t purely “blindfolded.” Since I’m not sure if that’s kosher here, I won’t name my guess, other than to say it was released in the '70's on Mainstream).

Track 6 Big Band . . . not familiar . . . first solo, sax . . . sounds really familiar. I’ll probably kick myself on this one. Someone that came up in the ‘60’s, I think. 2nd solo, trumpet. Maybe someone who came up in the 50’s, with a slightly older-school sound. ‘Wish I recognized the tune. I wanna say Thad Jones/Mel Lewis, maybe late ‘60’s-era?

Track 7 Soul vibe. Guitar, synth or elec. piano, drums, bass. Another guitarist’s date. Undeniably ‘70’s. Horns enter. Not thinking this is a jazz player, strictly speaking. ‘Sort of “smooth jazz” before “smooth jazz” became a thing . . . and better than most that came after. I don’t normally go in for this kind of stuff, but I actually dug it. No guesses, though.

Track 8 Horns, guitar, soul jazz, very bluesy. ‘60’s sounding, maybe ‘early ‘70’s. Tune sounds “Bobby Timmons-ish.” Guitar is very bluesy, soulful, almost Burrell-ish, but funkier. Grant Green? Sax player has an old-school, R&B sound, but I’m guessing he wasn’t an older cat when this was recorded. Trumpet player sounds almost “Nat Adderley-ish,” but I’m not sure. ‘Close to something Cannonball Adderley’s quintet might have recorded, with Grant Green as a guest sideman. No solid guesses, but I dig it.

Track 9 Trumpet, piano, bass. Some older players here, particularly the pianist, probably the bassist, too, but arrangement sounds post-1960. Weird sound on the sax, but kind of familiar. Tune has an almost “film noir” kind of feel, like a film score from the ‘50’s, but I’m guessing this was later. No guesses, but I enjoyed it.

Taking a stab at 10-18:

Track 10 Groooovy . . . I’m thinking 1973-5 or so. Sax player has chops but ends too many phrases the same way, with that rapid-fire, vibrato-bravado thing. He sounds almost “bag-pipey” at times when he goes there in the mid-upper register. ‘Maybe trying to put some extra muscle into this two-chord vamp? The vocal shout-outs are kind of weird, also. This is definitely a time-and-place kind of record – a good example of early ‘70’s, urban, jazz/soul/funk. ‘Not my favorite tune, but it’d be a fun one to pull out at a party and crank loud . . .

Track 11 I think I may have this one: Lena Horne, singing “Speak Low?” Herbie Mann on flute?

Track 12 Early fusion, ’72 to ’74. Long head - still has one foot in hard bop. Tune sounds familiar but can’t name it. It reminds me a lot of early ‘70’s Joe Henderson, but I don’t think that’s Joe . . . but there are some definite Joe-like moments . . . could it be Joe? Long drum solo for a studio date, and recording is pretty rough . . . a live bootleg? Maybe something off the unauthorized “Jazz Patterns” LP?

Track 13 Piano . . . walking bass . . . a blues . . . drummer hitting brushes . . . man, this could be from any era . . . sound is decent but not great – thinking ‘60’s or ‘70’s maybe? Did I hear audience noise? Live? At one point, he starts sounding like Gene Harris . . . could it be early-mid Gene Harris? Defintiely a bluesman like Gene. Gene was a local legend here in Boise . . .

Track 14 Funkadelic (the adjective, not the group :) ). . . with orchestration. First solo – guitar hero stuff, very rockish. Sax player dives in . . . sounds like a jazzer, not sure who, though. This track sounds like the essence of 1976, almost disco-ey in spots. I could personally do without the orchestral flourishes, but they definitely give it that ‘70’s, tv soundtrack kind of vibe. Not really my thing, but a pretty amusing romp . . .

Track 15 Live, with a deep bass intro . . . sax enters . . . snakelike . . . big sound, like someone I should know . . . not much vibrato at first – like Dexter Gordon. . . also sounds like it could be a bootleg. Piano. Wait, damn . . . now THIS is starting to sound like Joe Henderson, once he gets going. I went through a big Henderson stage, so I would think I'd know it if it were him. Pianist sounds McCoy Tyner-ish, but I can’t think of any live dates with the two together. 1967? Really curious to know what this is . . .

Track 16 Stanley Clarke bass intro? More funk/fusion. Is that a real piano with a guitarist playing effects? Or something electric playing both parts? Overdubbed? ‘Can’t figure out what all’s going on here. Keyboardist plays some dissonant parts, like an outside ‘60’s jazz cat trying his hand at ‘70’s fusion, but also bluesy. Man, this is a true sonic trip – ‘never heard anything quite like it. I don’t have the first clue, but it was definitely not boring!

Track 17 “Mode For Joe,” but whose version? Pianist has a lighter touch, I think, than on the original Henderson version. ‘Thinking someone who came up in the ‘60’s, playing modal stuff. Saxophonist plays less “muscularly” than Joe, also. Bassist is buried a bit in the mix, but I don’t think I’d know him anyway just by listening to this track. Band is tight . . . a solid take on this tune. I’m guessing it was recorded around 1970.

Track 18 I suck at remembering song names, even standards like this one (obviously, I’m not a musician). Sax player plays well, but I don’t like that dated-sounding production that gives his horn that “echo chamber” vibe (compounded by the electric piano/synth). I’m thinking late ‘70’s, early ‘80’s. Could it be Michael Brecker?

Thanks for doing this BFT, Noj. : ) I skipped all the stuff that didn't sound like my kind of thing (I admittedly have a narrow taste when it comes to jazz), so I only have a few guesses:

1) "Wild Cat Rag", Asa Martin, 1932. I mean, I would never have recognized this if I hadn't listened to this recently:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E6UK9Q/

It sounds "earlier" to me--it's very old-timey. It's not actually the kind of thing I listen much to. I can see crazy Joe Bussard stomping his foot along to this in his basement! I had to listen to it three times to identify it, and that's a bit much in a row...

2) "Echoes of Harlem", Duke Ellington, the 1936 recording. This was written for Cootie Williams, and you can hear him throughout. He makes that muted trumpet sound almost like a string instrument in the opening. Beautiful.

11) Is that Carmen McRae...?

25) Mr and Mrs Swing playing and singing "Smoke Dreams" in the late 30's. If the voice wouldn't give it away, the xylophone would. There are Norvo/Bailey tracks I like better, but this *is* a very nice one. I think this is an Eddie Sauter arrangement (flashback to BFT 94, where I needed to ID Sauter to actually get to McKinley--this time it was easier).

Edited by alex.

So far...

1. alex. got it! Asa Martin, "Wild Cat Rag."

I included this little ditty since it was so much earlier than the vast majority of my collection and I really enjoyed both volumes of The Stuff That Dreams Are Made Of. Outstanding compilations. I'm a bit of a compilation nut, I have hundreds. They're a great way to get a sampling of wide ranges of albums, or in this case to hear something so old and rare you'd probably never come across it elsewhere.

2. alex. nailed another one! Cootie Williams with Duke Ellington & His Orchestra, "Echoes Of Harlem"

This one joined the fray because I wanted to see if I could sneak a Duke Ellington track past anyone here. This was an instant favorite from the moment I heard it.

3. Not yet identified.

4. Not yet identified.

5. "Red Clay" Artist not yet identified.

6. Thom Keith & felser were all over this one! Art Blakey Big Band with John Coltrane, "The Outer World"

Thought maybe I could sneak some 'Trane past folks by concealing him in Blakey's outfit on the perhaps lesser-explored Bethlehem label. No dice!

7. Thom Keith has the artist correct! Joe Sample. I can't stomach smooth jazz much smoother than this. An old favorite of mine.

8. Thom Keith ID'd Andrew Hill and Woody Shaw. What an ear you have, Thom! I was counting on folks not catching Andrew Hill in this context.

9. Not yet identified (but very well received!).

10. Not yet identified.

11. alex. again! Carmen McRae "Speak Low"

Young and tastefully singing, I thought perhaps Carmen might be tough for some to ID. Vocal jazz really hasn't been my bag, but I like it more and more as the years go by.

12. Not yet identified.

13. Not OP, Phineas, or Gene Harris. Not yet identified.

14. Not yet identified. I knew this one would be polarizing! A bit cheesy, but I love the bassline (which made me laugh out loud when Thom Keith requested his execution).

15. Not yet identified. Not Booker Ervin or Joe McPhee. Hint: I only have this on a compilation culled by a famous compiler.

16. His Boy Elroy ID'd Stanley Clarke right away! Not far from being identified.

17. felser hit this one out of the park without hesitation. Cedar Walton with George Coleman, "Mode For Joe" from Eastern Rebellion. A classic indeed!

18. Not yet identified.

19. Not yet identified. felser is close, this is an homage to Wes Montgomery.

20. Not yet identified.

21. Not yet identified.

...perhaps too long of a departure through here from actual jazz...

22. Not yet identified.

23. Not yet identified.

24. Not yet identified.

25. alex., I can't sneak any of these older songs by you! There were more skips than listens for you, my apologies. Mildred Bailey With Red Norvo & His Orchestra "Smoke Dreams"

Obviously, I recently bought the Swing That Music box set, and it's been more than worth every penny. An education.

26. Not yet identified.

27. Not yet identified.

28. Not yet identified.

29. felser knows the Beatles tune, but where did this come from? A bit of a parting cheap shot from me, admittedly. :D

Thanks for all the responses thus far!

So far...

6. Thom Keith & felser were all over this one! Art Blakey Big Band with John Coltrane, "The Outer World"

Thought maybe I could sneak some 'Trane past folks by concealing him in Blakey's outfit on the perhaps lesser-explored Bethlehem label. No dice!

8. Thom Keith ID'd Andrew Hill and Woody Shaw. What an ear you have, Thom! I was counting on folks not catching Andrew Hill in this context.

11. alex. again! Carmen McRae "Speak Low"

Young and tastefully singing, I thought perhaps Carmen might be tough for some to ID. Vocal jazz really hasn't been my bag, but I like it more and more as the years go by.

16. His Boy Elroy ID'd Stanley Clarke right away! Not far from being identified.

Damn . . . I knew I would kick myself @ #6. How could I miss Coltrane? Funny, how context and our preconceptions can betray our own ears (or, at least for those of us without good ears :) ). Re: #8 - I never would have guessed Andrew Hill . . . and I'm a fan! I really thought I had Lena Horne on "Speak Low" . . . although I do think she sounded a lot like a young Carmen McRae -- something that might otherwise never have occurred to me. 'Lucky guess on the Stanley Clarke bass intro, although I'm glad I got something right . . . might that make the keyboardist George Duke?

A few last thoughts on 19-29:

Track 19 Man, no guesses (again!). Sounds to me like maybe a crossover guy, like a Mark Whitfield, or someone like that, but I don’t think that’s him. Pianist is a jazz cat, though, I think. 'Nice take on Wes . . .

Track 20 Reverby West African music. Malian? ‘Sounds old and new at the same time. No clue, but pretty cool stuff . . . ‘especially like the guitar effects . . .

Track 21 I feel like I should know that alto . . . man, I really do suck at this . . . I can’t even name the tune, even though I’ve heard it many times. 'Don’t recognize the trumpet, either. 'Wish they didn’t cut out the guitarist at the end . . . I liked his/her sound.

Track 22 Jazz/soul/funk. Nice groove. ‘Don’t think that’s a jazz guitarist. More of a soul/funk player, but I have no idea who. Plays funky as hell, though! Mid ‘70’s?

Track 23 Stanley Turrentine?

Track 24 Sax player plays like Joe Henderson. No idea who this is. Vocals are indeed different, but do add some texture and interest to the groove.

Track 25 Alex already nailed this one. I like how Bailey sounded kind of jazz and kind of country at the same time . . .

Track 26 Bluesy tune - sounds almost Ellingtonian. Pianist can play the blues, but has light touch – a woman, perhaps? Longshot stab in the dark: Marian McPartland?

Track 27 Orchestral intro – flutes, strings. Sounds old at first, then breaks into a kind of modern groove with a late ‘70’s, early ‘80’s vibe. No obvious leader here . . . a bit “soundtrackish” to my mind. Again, at a loss . . .

Track 28 Big bass intro – laid back reggae beat, trombone lead . . . ‘not the faintest, but definitely up my alley!

Track 29 Cool version of "Michelle". . . Lenny Breau, maybe?

Thanks for putting this together. It was both fun and challenging, and it gave my ears a good stretching. 'Look forward to reading the results :)

Edited by His Boy Elroy

Thanks Hot Ptah, glad you're enjoying it!

Not much time to respond in detail this week, but enjoying this one very much.

Is #20 perhaps a King Sunny Ade remix?

Track 20 is indeed King Sunny Ade, Spontooneous! "Ja Fun Mi (Instrumental)" from Nigeria '70, Vol.1.

His Boy Elroy,

Track 16 is not George Duke teaming up with Stan Clarke.

Track 23 is not Stanley Turrentine, although I've also thought this sax player's sound is similarly warm and kindly.

Track 24 is not Joe Henderson, although there's a mighty heavy lineup on this particular album. Hint: this is an abridged version of the full album track.

Track 26 is not Marian McPartland, but this pianist does have a lighter, perhaps optimistic sound.

Track 29 is not Lenny Breau. It is a guitarist whose career took a smooth route.

Edited by Noj

Oh, this is a long one!

1 Very country! Perhaps not as old as it seems and I think it’s based on something familiar in another context. Not my field, but fine musicianship and enjoyable.

2 Ooo, nice! Now this one does seem to be pretty old. Great trumpet player – can’t hazard a guess at who, though. The rhythm section is quite well recorded, perhaps this is more recent than it seems. I like this a lot.

3 Definite sixties flavour to this with a sound like The String-alongs. Not them, though, it swings. Actually, I’m not sure who would make a record like this except either as a gimmick or if they’re from Indonesia or somewhere.

4 Sounds like one of those strange flutes Herbie Mann plays, or makes himself, sometimes. Not Herbie I think. Nice.

5 Crikey, I can’t think of the name of the tune! An Eddie Harris line, I’m thinking. Anyway, I THINK the guitarist may be Orhan Demir, by the way his left hand fingers attack the fretboard. But I can’t find where he’s done any familiar tunes. So maybe it’s someone else. Well, tried again a few days later but still can’t recall the title.

6 Oh, this is a hard one! A big band with soloists who don’t seem to be on my regular listening list. And not one of my regular favourite big bands, either, though with a sixties sound.

7 Something very familiar about this, but I can’t make it out. I’ll take a guess and say Ramsey Lewis, maybe with Phil Upchurch; from one of his Columbia albums, perhaps.

8 A guitarist I feel I know well, but can’t identify. Nor the alto player. Trumpet player, too. All good but I can’t call them up in my mind. The groove is like ‘One cylinder’. Must listen to this again tomorrow. Still no clues a few days later, except I’m thinking of Sonny Red. But I know it’s not him.

9 It’s not Blue Mitchell, but reminds me of him a lot. And the alto player, something of Sonny Red in his lines. His sound is a lot clearer and more definite. The tune sounds like it was written for a film score. Something familiar about it, but… A few days later and I definitely know that I don’t know who or what this is.

10 Good Lord, a lot of this BFT is so nearly right for me, I don’t know why I’ve never heard any of it before! That was bleedin’ fantastic, but I’ve NO IDEA! Well, a few days later and it’s still fantastic and I still haven’t any ideas about it.

11 ‘Speak low’ by a lady singer with flute. And orchestra. I don’t think I’ve ever heard the words of this song before. Nice words. Really nice voice, nice phrasing.

Quitting for a while.

12 AH!! Idris! I haven’t played this album for getting on for three years. OK, it’s ‘Wander’ from ‘Black rhythm revolution’, with Virgil Jones, Clarence Thomas (ts and a total GEEZER!), Harold Mabern, Mel Sparks, Jimmy Lewis and Buddy Caldwell. Great!

13 Oh, dem blues! I wish I knew who this was… Phew, he has some really nice ideas! And some chops underlying them. Live! Real! I keep thinking of Junior Mance but he’s got more chops and harder ideas than Mance. Maybe it’s Harold Mabern, though Mabern usually has a softer touch than this guy.

14 Interesting this. It seems like a library band making music for people to listen to while they’re waiting on the phone but, if I were listening on the blower, I wouldn’t want them to answer, even if the sax player does sound like David Sanborn.

15 I keep waiting for the tenor player to come back in and blast me into Tonypandy. Ah here he is. I don’t know him. But that’s OK, he doesn’t know me, either. He’s worth waiting for, though. The rest are there just to warm me up for him, although the piano player’s pretty nice.

16 This is kinda interesting but doesn’t feel completely realised. It’s as if they’ve got these good ideas but haven’t quite got them sorted out in their heads so there doesn’t appear to be any direction.

17 A tune I know. But I can’t remember the title. Fascinating drum solo. Sure I know this tenor player but can’t think… I think it may be Pharoah Sanders. And I think that’s where I know the tune from – one of his albums. But this isn’t one I’ve got. And it seems a bit professional for Pharoah, you know? I think the tune’s called ‘Origin’. No it isn’t – just checked. Well, I dunno, guv.

18 Nice tenor player. Very nice tenor player. Don’t know the tune, either. But this sometimes makes me think of Pharoah, too. Must be the mood I’m in. A few days later, it still sounds like Pharoah.

19 This sounds like the pianist in #13. Doing a boogaloo that reminds me of ‘One cylinder’.

20 This cut seems to be taking rather too long to get off the ground and makes me suspect, after 2 minutes, that it won’t. No, I don’t think it will; it’s as if there’s these guys waiting for Larry Mizell to come into the studio with the ‘leader’ and they’re laying down the backing track.

21 Hank Crawford! But one I’ve never heard before. Where the hell did this one come from? Oh, I must have it tucked away somewhere. No, I don’t think I’ve ever heard this trumpet solo. Sure I haven’t; it’s blindingly lyrical!

Don’t for god’s sake tell me it’s David Sanborn!

22 I keep thinking (hoping) the drummer’s going to turn into Bernard Purdie and inject a bit of swing into this. But of course, it doesn’t happen. This one’s not happening with me, either. I half recognise the tune, though; bits of it sound like a Kool & the Gang number. The guitarist’s quite good, without having any real feeling for what he’s doing.

23 Ho Ho Houston Person! And another one I’ve never heard before! Where are you GETTING this stuff from? Oh, I think it’s a cut from one of Johnny Lytle’s Muse albums. Yeah, ‘After supper’. But it’s a different recording from the one on ‘Good vibes’. That one has Mel Sparks on guitar, and there’s no guitar on this.

Oh, I see I never finished this. Phew, there’s a lot if it! Well, a few more tracks now.

24 Well, I certainly don’t know this one. Vintage mid seventies, I’d guess. The tenor player has quite some stuff to say and I’d be interested in hearing more of him, but hope the rest of the album hasn’t got all this ‘atmosphere’.

25 I think this is much more modern than it’s supposed to sound. ‘Smoke dreams’. I used to have a recording of this by Jo Stafford. Don’t know this singer.

26 I think this is ‘Black coffee’ by a solo pianist. It’s kind of disorienting with his left hand coming out of the left channel and the right out of the right – feels like I’m between his legs! I don’t think it’s anyone I know.

27 Starts off sounding like telephone waiting music, but somewhat more interesting than what you actually get from your dentist’s surgery. I keep wanting it to DO something, like have a roaring tenor player come in and piss all over the band. But it ain’t gonna happen, is it? No, it didn’t.

28 I do like the trombonist’s sound on this, and his lazy solo. No idea who it is – modernish, though, to judge by the background.

29 ‘Michelle’ played by a solo guitarist. I don’t quite recognise his sound. I’m sure there are others here who’ll pick it up instantly.

Well, I was just going to review this, to see if I got any more ideas, and saw that for some reason I hadn’t ever heard the last three tracks!!!! So I had to listen to them and I’m going to post what I’ve got so far. Few answers.

A lot of interesting stuff in here, Jon, though a lot of the rhythm sections seem to have, or are trying to imitate, drum machines. Not quite sure why.

Good BFT, thanks.

I was waiting for you to come in and identify the soul jazz tracks, TMG!

Great call on King Sunny Ade, on Track #20, Spontooneous! I was thinking it sounded somewhat like the backing musicians, the time I saw Dee Dee Bridgewater live with musicians from Mali, but no, that was not correct at all. Not Mali.

My responses are interspersed in bold italics, underlined:

Oh, this is a long one!

5 Crikey, I can’t think of the name of the tune! An Eddie Harris line, I’m thinking. Anyway, I THINK the guitarist may be Orhan Demir, by the way his left hand fingers attack the fretboard. But I can’t find where he’s done any familiar tunes. So maybe it’s someone else. Well, tried again a few days later but still can’t recall the title.

It's not Orhan Demir, but if he sounds like this I'll have to check him out!

9 It’s not Blue Mitchell, but reminds me of him a lot. And the alto player, something of Sonny Red in his lines. His sound is a lot clearer and more definite. The tune sounds like it was written for a film score. Something familiar about it, but… A few days later and I definitely know that I don’t know who or what this is.

This one has been very well received practically all the way around, but not identified as of yet!

10 Good Lord, a lot of this BFT is so nearly right for me, I don’t know why I’ve never heard any of it before! That was bleedin’ fantastic, but I’ve NO IDEA! Well, a few days later and it’s still fantastic and I still haven’t any ideas about it.

Everybody's loving this one too, but no one has put a name to it!

12 AH!! Idris! I haven’t played this album for getting on for three years. OK, it’s ‘Wander’ from ‘Black rhythm revolution’, with Virgil Jones, Clarence Thomas (ts and a total GEEZER!), Harold Mabern, Mel Sparks, Jimmy Lewis and Buddy Caldwell. Great!

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner!

13 Oh, dem blues! I wish I knew who this was… Phew, he has some really nice ideas! And some chops underlying them. Live! Real! I keep thinking of Junior Mance but he’s got more chops and harder ideas than Mance. Maybe it’s Harold Mabern, though Mabern usually has a softer touch than this guy.

Another one that everybody has really dug, but yet to finger! Not Mabern or Mance.

14 Interesting this. It seems like a library band making music for people to listen to while they’re waiting on the phone but, if I were listening on the blower, I wouldn’t want them to answer, even if the sax player does sound like David Sanborn. :lol:

18 Nice tenor player. Very nice tenor player. Don’t know the tune, either. But this sometimes makes me think of Pharoah, too. Must be the mood I’m in. A few days later, it still sounds like Pharoah.

Not Pharoah!

19 This sounds like the pianist in #13. Doing a boogaloo that reminds me of ‘One cylinder’.

Cool that you've mentioned "One Cylinder" a few times. I love that song! I don't think the pianist from #13 is a member of this particular outfit.

20 This cut seems to be taking rather too long to get off the ground and makes me suspect, after 2 minutes, that it won’t. No, I don’t think it will; it’s as if there’s these guys waiting for Larry Mizell to come into the studio with the ‘leader’ and they’re laying down the backing track.

Dang, I thought you'd like this one. Then again, I'm certain your tastes in West African music are much more refined than my own!

21 Hank Crawford! But one I’ve never heard before. Where the hell did this one come from? Oh, I must have it tucked away somewhere.

No, I don’t think I’ve ever heard this trumpet solo. Sure I haven’t; it’s blindingly lyrical!

Don’t for god’s sake tell me it’s David Sanborn! :rofl:

Hahahaha, not Hank Crawford or David Sanborn. This player is usually much funkier and less reflective than this--but he's always very lyrical!

22 I keep thinking (hoping) the drummer’s going to turn into Bernard Purdie and inject a bit of swing into this. But of course, it doesn’t happen. This one’s not happening with me, either. I half recognise the tune, though; bits of it sound like a Kool & the Gang number. The guitarist’s quite good, without having any real feeling for what he’s doing.

Yes, definitely just a funk number. Not as much depth as the jazzers bring. Not surprisingly, I love Kool & The Gang--but this isn't them. Great observations!

23 Ho Ho Houston Person! And another one I’ve never heard before! Where are you GETTING this stuff from? Oh, I think it’s a cut from one of Johnny Lytle’s Muse albums. Yeah, ‘After supper’. But it’s a different recording from the one on ‘Good vibes’. That one has Mel Sparks on guitar, and there’s no guitar on this.

Nailed it! Houston Person with Johnny Lytle on Muse.

Oh, I see I never finished this. Phew, there’s a lot if it! Well, a few more tracks now. :winky:

24 Well, I certainly don’t know this one. Vintage mid seventies, I’d guess. The tenor player has quite some stuff to say and I’d be interested in hearing more of him, but hope the rest of the album hasn’t got all this ‘atmosphere’.

I haven't explored this particular player much either, but this is definitely intriguing. As I mentioned before, there's actually more of this song on the actual album as opposed to this abridged version from a compilation.

26 I think this is ‘Black coffee’ by a solo pianist. It’s kind of disorienting with his left hand coming out of the left channel and the right out of the right – feels like I’m between his legs! I don’t think it’s anyone I know.

When identified or revealed, this bizarre observation will make perfect sense!

27 Starts off sounding like telephone waiting music, but somewhat more interesting than what you actually get from your dentist’s surgery. I keep wanting it to DO something, like have a roaring tenor player come in and piss all over the band. But it ain’t gonna happen, is it? No, it didn’t.

Hahahahaha, so on the money. This is a weirdo track on here, for sure. I included it for what it attempted. Not much to chew here. A musical rice cake.

A lot of interesting stuff in here, Jon, though a lot of the rhythm sections seem to have, or are trying to imitate, drum machines. Not quite sure why.

Good BFT, thanks.

Thanks for all the very insightful responses, MG! I wanted the BFT to keep changing and show odd corners of my collection.

Edited by Noj

I'm late to the party and probably won't find the time to give everything a proper listen so I'm not going to ask for a download but I think number 26 must be "Aunt Hagar's Blues" by Art Tatum off a "Zenph Re-Performance" CD that I've heard about. It would make sense since I recall reading that they recorded in a strange stereo configuration where you hear the music as if you were sitting on the piano stool itself. Also Black Coffee is very similar to Aun't Hagar's Blues.

26) I have no idea who this is, but I was intrigued by the comments so far, so I had another (more careful) listen. I suspect, especially given your hint, that it's quatre mains. Oui? (But only deux are actually playing...)

Edited by alex.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is what I have so far. I haven't read the other comments yet.

01. No idea. Two guitars or one guitar and mandolin.

02. Is this Duke? Sounds like Cootie Williams mute playing. Not sure of the piece the band is playing.

03. No idea.

04. No idea

05. Red Clay. Nice guitar playing. I don't know who this is.

06. Not sure, but I say it led by the drummer. The drums stand out.

07. Not my cup of tea. I don't know.

08. A blues. I've heard this but can't figure out who this is.

09. Wow. I really like the chord inversions the pianist is playing. No idea but I want to hear more from this.

10. I like this one. I don't know who it is.

11. One I know I have. It is Speak Low sung by Carmen McRae.

12. This one wouldn't play for me.

13. Don't know who this is.

14. Don't know. Too much like smooth jazz and not my cup of tea.

15. So much music I don't know. Including this one0

16. Don't know this.

17. This one is Cedar Walton and George Coleman. Mode for Joe. The album is Eastern Rebellion Vol 1. I'm a huge fan of Big George and Cedar. I have just about all of their recordings.

18. I like the tenor. I don't know.

19. Someone that is a fan of Wes. No idea who this is though.

20. Don't know.

I will respond to the rest shortly.

21 Not bad. Too bad I don't know anyone on this.

22. Don't this either

23. Houston Person on sax? Sounds a lot like him.

24. This also doesn't play for me.

25. Don't know.

26. Another one I have no clue

27. Don't know.

28. Another one I don't know.

29. Joe Pass doing Michelle? Most likely not Joe Pass.

Good music throughout.

Very sorry some of the tracks wouldn't play for you, Hardbopjazz. I have no idea why that would happen.

You were correct on a number of guesses with tracks which were previously identified. I hope you enjoyed it for the most part!

Edited by Noj

Track 16 - Fat bass line makes me happy. Keys are a bit abstract for what it seems to be trying to be. I like it, but it also feels like it’s trying a bit hard. Could be Don Pullen, but I don’t think it quite has his all-in soul. D.D. Jackson? Seems too old to be him. Not sure… just not completely sold on this.

Track 17 - Aw yeah, baby! Big George! First guy I ever saw in a club (w/James Williams, John Lockwood and Terry Lynne Carrington). This is THE version of Cedar’s Mode For Joe (sorry Joe Henderson) from this. In my opinion, this is THE album by ER; the others just do no measure up.
Track 18 - Ouch… those keys do NOT make me happy. I like the tenor sound, but the rest of it just does not fit my tastes — too commercial. Tenor sounds familiar but could be a disciple of what I’m recognizing.
Track 19 - I feel like shopping, but man, this is one cool-ass store! If it’s not late Wes, that’s got to be Benson. I’m in, though… for all my bitching about commercialized Jazz, this type of soul Jazz just FIRES for me. This is the feel the modern bands are going for, but THIS is IT.
Track 20 - I’m liking this reggae feel. It’s not Jazzy, but more of a soundtrack meets Tower of Power feel. UGH! Why would you kill this with a drum machine?!?!?! Damned shame. It’s dead to me, now. I’m being unfair — if this came on in a coffee shop or a bar, I’d be into it, but in a listening setting, I’m quite put off by the synth drums.
Track 21 - Aaaaaand, total redemption in 3 seconds. Well done, sir. I need to go pour a Courvoisier, be right back. It’s either Maceo being really controlled, or somebody who desperately wants to be Maceo nearly as much as I do.
Track 22 - This is 70s cool. I wouldn’t like it if it were more modern, but something about the stuff from that era resonates for me (I’m quite confident this is not something of a throwback nature. Again, I wouldn’t sit down to listen to this, but this would be ultra cool if it came on in a record store or bar. There was a radio station around here playing more modern takes on this sort of thing but operating on sponsorship. They’ve been replaced by an all funk/soul station (which, let’s face it, is not going to last long in New Hampshire). They don’t play anything quite like this, but stuff just over the commercial fence from this.
Track 23 - I like this, but I’m not sure it would hold up. Sounds sort of like the Concord dates in the 80s, in terms of feel. Maybe Plas? Not sure. Has that very 70s lounge feel, but from *that* side of town.
Track 24 - I’m not made of wood, you’ve got me. Seems like a PG, less invective filled take on a Smiley Winters album I have. I like this plenty. Huh… not sure why they felt the need to abandon the feel at the end… I’m assuming there’s a next section that is truncated (perhaps a good decision).
Track 25 - No idea, predates my listening.
Track 26 - I like it, but I’m not sure how much I would go back to it. Wait, that’s two pianists. I was hearing it as busy at first. No, this works. I would definitely revisit this. Not sure quite who we’re dealing with. Could be Tommy Flanagan on the right, which would lead me to a guess of Barry Harris on the left, but I’ve got no real inclination towards either.
Track 27 - Eh… back to what was bothering me about 18. I mean, there is something cool about this, but the smooth factor is worthy of an insulin injection. Not feeling this. This sounds like an electronic production, full miss.
Track 28 - I like the reggae idea, but again, this seems to be the product of overdubs. Doesn’t offend, but doesn’t really hit, either.
Track 29 - Pleasant, but doesn’t really speak to me. Is that a Beatles tune?

Track 16 - Fat bass line makes me happy. Keys are a bit abstract for what it seems to be trying to be. I like it, but it also feels like it’s trying a bit hard. Could be Don Pullen, but I don’t think it quite has his all-in soul. D.D. Jackson? Seems too old to be him. Not sure… just not completely sold on this.

Track 17 - Aw yeah, baby! Big George! First guy I ever saw in a club (w/James Williams, John Lockwood and Terry Lynne Carrington). This is THE version of Cedar’s Mode For Joe (sorry Joe Henderson) from this. In my opinion, this is THE album by ER; the others just do no measure up.
Track 18 - Ouch… those keys do NOT make me happy. I like the tenor sound, but the rest of it just does not fit my tastes — too commercial. Tenor sounds familiar but could be a disciple of what I’m recognizing.
Track 19 - I feel like shopping, but man, this is one cool-ass store! If it’s not late Wes, that’s got to be Benson. I’m in, though… for all my bitching about commercialized Jazz, this type of soul Jazz just FIRES for me. This is the feel the modern bands are going for, but THIS is IT.
Track 20 - I’m liking this reggae feel. It’s not Jazzy, but more of a soundtrack meets Tower of Power feel. UGH! Why would you kill this with a drum machine?!?!?! Damned shame. It’s dead to me, now. I’m being unfair — if this came on in a coffee shop or a bar, I’d be into it, but in a listening setting, I’m quite put off by the synth drums.
Track 21 - Aaaaaand, total redemption in 3 seconds. Well done, sir. I need to go pour a Courvoisier, be right back. It’s either Maceo being really controlled, or somebody who desperately wants to be Maceo nearly as much as I do.
Track 22 - This is 70s cool. I wouldn’t like it if it were more modern, but something about the stuff from that era resonates for me (I’m quite confident this is not something of a throwback nature. Again, I wouldn’t sit down to listen to this, but this would be ultra cool if it came on in a record store or bar. There was a radio station around here playing more modern takes on this sort of thing but operating on sponsorship. They’ve been replaced by an all funk/soul station (which, let’s face it, is not going to last long in New Hampshire). They don’t play anything quite like this, but stuff just over the commercial fence from this.
Track 23 - I like this, but I’m not sure it would hold up. Sounds sort of like the Concord dates in the 80s, in terms of feel. Maybe Plas? Not sure. Has that very 70s lounge feel, but from *that* side of town.
Track 24 - I’m not made of wood, you’ve got me. Seems like a PG, less invective filled take on a Smiley Winters album I have. I like this plenty. Huh… not sure why they felt the need to abandon the feel at the end… I’m assuming there’s a next section that is truncated (perhaps a good decision).
Track 25 - No idea, predates my listening.
Track 26 - I like it, but I’m not sure how much I would go back to it. Wait, that’s two pianists. I was hearing it as busy at first. No, this works. I would definitely revisit this. Not sure quite who we’re dealing with. Could be Tommy Flanagan on the right, which would lead me to a guess of Barry Harris on the left, but I’ve got no real inclination towards either.
Track 27 - Eh… back to what was bothering me about 18. I mean, there is something cool about this, but the smooth factor is worthy of an insulin injection. Not feeling this. This sounds like an electronic production, full miss.
Track 28 - I like the reggae idea, but again, this seems to be the product of overdubs. Doesn’t offend, but doesn’t really hit, either.
Track 29 - Pleasant, but doesn’t really speak to me. Is that a Beatles tune?

Nailed #21! Maceo Parker. And you've identified that #24 is a truncated version, plus you noticed that there are two pianists on #26. Bravo, Mr. Keith!

Man, the more I've had to go over this, the more I wish I'd traded a number of these out for better stuff. What's the audio equivalent of hindsight is 20/20?

Reveal thread coming 12/1!