Goodbye Acker

BillF

Arguably Acker's most significant album was a meeting of the mouldy fygges and the dirty boppers in the middle ground of mainstream inspired by Ellington. 'Blue Acker' (With the Stan Tracey Big Brass) from 1968 was an album recorded with the cream of British jazz at that time (1968). A memorable album, it was thankfully reissued on CD by Lake a few years back. Ian Carr, who played on the album, also wrote the sleeve notes which are made available in full on Stan's web site:

http://www.stantracey.com/LinerNotes/BlueAcker.htm R.I.P. Acker

Acker-Bilk-Blue-Acker-291119.jpg

Edited by RogerF

Arguably Acker's most significant album was a meeting of the mouldy fygges and the dirty boppers in the middle ground of mainstream inspired by Ellington. 'Blue Acker' (With the Stan Tracey Big Brass) from 1968 was an album recorded with the cream of British jazz at that time (1968). A memorable album, it was thankfully reissued on CD by Lake a few years back. Ian Carr, who played on the album, also wrote the sleeve notes which are made available in full on Stan's web site:

Any idea where I might be able to pick up a copy of this on CD at a reasonable price, Roger?

Any idea where I might be able to pick up a copy of this on CD at a reasonable price, Roger?

Amazon has some second hand CD copies but at quite a price. It is an excellent album though.

Amazon has some second hand CD copies but at quite a price. It is an excellent album though.

Too rich for me, I'm afraid.

I contacted Fellside Records about the possibilty of them re-issuing it, but the cost of relicensing it from Unversal make this uneconomical. (How many times have I heard that!)

Edited by Head Man

Too rich for me, I'm afraid.

I contacted Fellside Records about the possibilty of them re-issuing it, but the cost of relicensing it from Unversal make this uneconomical. (How many times have I heard that!)

LPs cheap here http://www.discogs.com/sell/release/3282966?ev=rb

Edited by mjazzg

About 1962 I went for my clarinet lesson And asked the teacher if he would help me learn a tune I heard on the radio.

He said, "I hope it's not 'Stranger On The Shore'". It was :-)

I'm still not too proud to turn down occasional gigs from a retired school teacher, who should probably be arrested each time he plays a woodwind instrument in public.

As soon as he reaches for his clarinet, I know he's about to inflict SOTS on the poor, unsuspecting audience.

It's pretty difficult to screw that one up, but this 'artiste' makes it sound like Albert Ayler! :rofl:

Remember him as a light music entertainer in the 60s/70s. Always had a soft spot for 'Stranger on the Shore'.

RIP

Same here. I spend a lot of time driving and just this last summer while surfing SiriusXM channels I stopped on the 60s while "Stranger on the Shore" was playing. It hit the mood and scenery just right.

RIP, Mr. Acker Bilk.

About 1962 I went for my clarinet lesson And asked the teacher if he would help me learn a tune I heard on the radio.

He said, "I hope it's not 'Stranger On The Shore'". It was :-)

I'm still not too proud to turn down occasional gigs from a retired school teacher, who should probably be arrested each time he plays a woodwind instrument in public.

As soon as he reaches for his clarinet, I know he's about to inflict SOTS on the poor, unsuspecting audience.

It's pretty difficult to screw that one up, but this 'artiste' makes it sound like Albert Ayler! :rofl:

Mezz Mezzrow and, above all, Ted Lewis come to mind when this sort of quip is being heard. :g

(Though no doubt you have googled all this by now)

Bent Fabricius Bjerre.

Notable among Danish studio and band musicians and jack-of-all-trades in jazz and other circles since the early postwar years.

I found his "Alley Cat" (of his Bent Fabric period) rather inane, though. Like a lot of other stuff from that period where somebody who had been around for some time suddely came up with a marketable pop hit after trying all sorts of musical directions.

As for the name, Bent is a common first name in Denmark (not unlike English Bernard/Bernie or whatever), so not any stranger than the names of gazillions of American acts overall before, during and after that period.

BTW, looking at Atco/Atlantic inner sleeves during that period, have you never wondered about other odd names such as HUTCH DAVIE?