Happy Birthday Rudy Van Gelder

Hardbopjazz

Happy Birthday RVG.

At one time, Rudy was a god. People (self included) on the old BNBB frothed over each new RVG or JRVG. :excited:

Now with the multitude of remaster/reissue gurus, each advancing their own agenda(and brands), we find out that Rudy was only a statue with massive clay feet, and that his work is hardly worth listening to. I don't feel that way, and I still think that Rudy created a sound that has defined jazz for generations.

Happy Birthday RVG.

At one time, Rudy was a god. People (self included) on the old BNBB frothed over each new RVG or JRVG. :excited:

Now with the multitude of remaster/reissue gurus, each advancing their own agenda(and brands), we find out that Rudy was only a statue with massive clay feet, and that his work is hardly worth listening to. I don't feel that way, and I still think that Rudy created a sound that has defined jazz for generations.

If Mr. Van Gelder hadn't done the original recordings, most of the "remaster/reissue gurus" wouldn't have much to remaster and their disciples wouldn't have much to listen to, given that both seem to be addicted to Blue Note recordings.

Happy Birthday RVG.

If Mr. Van Gelder hadn't done the original recordings, most of the "remaster/reissue gurus" wouldn't have much to remaster and their disciples wouldn't have much to listen to, given that both seem to be addicted to Blue Note recordings.

A shame the topic of digital reissues had to immediately be reanimated, but if Mr. Van Gelder hadn't bungled and butchered so many of these CD reissues his reputation would not be tarnished in the eyes of a younger generation. It would simply be based on the amazing recordings, vinyl era, and the gushing mythologising of glossy coffee table books and greying music critics.

------

Happy birthday, Rudy Van Gelder!

Happy birthday RVG! Regardless of what some people think, we should be thankful for all he has done. I am grateful for the hundreds of RVG's BN put out (tho I have replaced a few) because it allowed me to get previously very hard to find music, and a lot of great music I hadn't gotten to yet, cheaply.

Wow, RVG made the big 90 yesterday! Happy belated birthday Mr. Van Gelder.

Sadly, I hear he is not doing well and isn't receiving visitors. I just hope he is not in a lot of pain.

He did attend the calibration at JALC for his 90th Birthday.

That is great news! The last I heard, he wasn't even receiving visitors at his home so I was expecting the worst.

Back many many decades ago when I began my jazz collection of LPs, the name Rudy van Gelder was like the "Good House Keeping seal of approval".

He is an extremely important person in the history of recorded jazz. I greatly respect his highly significant contributions to the music I love. Happy Birthday!

Back in the late '70s I wanted to use him for some projects but he was wary and asked for an "audition interview". I agreed, flew East and attended a Willis Jackson date for Muse. During the date he seemed to spend attention equally between Willis and me.

He had recently lost the CTI account 'cause they were failing and Muse was the primary customer. His first wife was loosing her battle with cancer and he really didn't want new customers and new worries.

Rudy and I "jousted" throughout the Willis date and Rudy let me know he wasn't too keen on the "outside" dates he'd done, but at the end of the Jackson session he reached into a drawer and pulled out his appointment book and asked when I wanted to record.

My first session there was Roscoe Mitchell's "L-R-G" with Leo Smith and George Lewis. During the first take, Rudy looked over at me and said "This is beautiful, just like classical music" with a big smile.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

Played a prestige w 50th modern jazz q/milt Jackson 5tet on my daughters new turntable while explaining rudys techniques and although her turntable was not top shelf ( she digs records and all that is involved!) his recording popped like a motherfucker nearly 60 years later n she said dad when was this recorded? Happy bday rvg, because of your engineering n progress in capturing sound my daughter knows who you are. Stay healthy n hopefully more years to come.