A Great Day in Albany

So, as I think I've mentioned before, I've been doing some freelance writing lately. Last week, the Albany, NY "Times Union", for whom I've written many feature articles in the last seven months or so, asked me to write a cover story on the current "state of the local jazz scene". They ALSO asked me to arrange a photoshoot. My suggestion was to recreate the "Great Day in Harlem" photo using local musicians (and, perhaps, others involved in the scene: DJs, club owners, journalists, fans, etc). My editor thought that it seemed ambitious, but encouraged me to go for it. We put out a call (via Faceboook and albanyjazz.com) late last week and currently have at least 50 people interested in attending (the Art Kane photo featured some 57 musicians), so I think that we're well on our way!

Just wanted to put this out there. This is going to be a blast!

As much as I would have loved to write more, I had a word limit and really had to confine myself to what's happening in the area today. I included the Nick B. stuff because I was able to integrate it into the story without too much digression. This really has been I highlight of my (still burgeoning) career as a writer!