Hum Dono

sambrasa

Neither can I...I guess the thing is I've been enjoying a lot of these recent Japanese SHM blue note CDs and they sound incredible...really analog sounding. So when I played this CD I wasn't as impressed...

Ah............. compared to a Japanese SHM CD. Well, it was never going to sound as good as that!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

It's available now: details.

I think this was not mentioned for the CD version: "Cut direct from analogue stereo tapes by renowned mastering engineer Noel Summerville and pressed on 180g virgin vinyl, “Hum Dono” has never sounded better. "

Of course the key word "original" is missing... So, since most probably the original master tapes are still missing, perhaps they refer to a fully analogue transfer from a pristine original LP to an "analogue stereo tape" and then cut to vinyl (without converting it first to a hi-rez digital file), perhaps?

Edited by Alexandros

There's some interesting comments on the VG+ Forums stating that all of the tapes for the Lansdowne series were held by Lansdowne records engineer (and formerly studio owner) Adrian Kerridge and that master copies were held by Universal, who were provided with them by Denis Preston back in the 1970s. Hence the great sounding issue on CD of Mike Taylor 'Pendulum' put out by Sunbeam, subsequently withdrawn (Universal not involved and apparently very unhelpful - quelle surpris). So, it looks as if the 'Hum Dono' master does exist - but what is the provenance of the Vocalion CD and this 180g vinyl reissue?

I plan on buying a copy and doing some comparisons..

Edited by sidewinder

not to beat a dead Hum Dono, but the recent CD sounds like a needle-drop, or at least made from a tape copy of a virginal LP. I'm fine with keeping the CD at this point, really. It's an excellent record that sounds good, and there are many others more deserving of a re-buy/upgrade/whatever.

And then there's music made by living people...

Edited by clifford_thornton

Dutton Vocalion have just released this as a vinyl LP cut from the analogue stereo tape - so that source is rather unequivocal

I'm going to order this - quite reasonably priced too: http://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=VOCLP3303

Permit me to note that this writing by Dutton is not clear enough. It would have indeed been if they had wrote that the LP was "cut from the original analogue master stereo tape". Unless Dutton has INDEED access to the original tape (I refer to Sidewinder's message earlier in this thread - thanks!) but they do not want to get in trouble with the original/legitimate owner (Universal?) of the original master tape by mentioning it.

Edited by Alexandros

Dutton Vocalion have just released this as a vinyl LP cut from the analogue stereo tape - so that source is rather unequivocal

I'm going to order this - quite reasonably priced too: http://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=VOCLP3303

Permit me to note that this writing by Dutton is not clear enough. It would have indeed been if they had wrote that the LP was "cut from the original analogue master stereo tape". Unless Dutton has INDEED access to the original tape (I refer to Sidewinder's message earlier in this thread - thanks!) but they do not want to get in trouble with the original/legitimate owner (Universal?) of the original master tape by mentioning it.

Point taken, but I think the only way to determine this is by buying it in vinyl (I already have the CD) and seeing whether it is indeed taken from the original analogue master tape or bizarrely, a tape of the CD of the LP of the tape (if you see what I mean). Comparing the price of this LP to other newly-pressed ones, this is relatively cheap so I'm definitely ordering this one.

Tubbs news update! A very authoritative source has just revealed that Universal Music Group has now unearthed full master tapes for all of Tubby's Fontana records. Also found is the "lost" quartet session with Louis Stewart from 1969, alongside some tapes that have yet to be identified. Apparently some of this material was stored in Germany and has only latterly been brought back to the UK, hence the "lost" rumours. Additionally, some Tempo master tapes too, notably for Tubby's Groove have been located too. All the previously issued Japanese and Universal UK CDs of Tubby were dubbed from vinyl. In some cases (Return Visit and 100% Proof) from knackered vinyl!

Tubbs news update! A very authoritative source has just revealed that Universal Music Group has now unearthed full master tapes for all of Tubby's Fontana records. Also found is the "lost" quartet session with Louis Stewart from 1969, alongside some tapes that have yet to be identified. Apparently some of this material was stored in Germany and has only latterly been brought back to the UK, hence the "lost" rumours. Additionally, some Tempo master tapes too, notably for Tubby's Groove have been located too. All the previously issued Japanese and Universal UK CDs of Tubby were dubbed from vinyl. In some cases (Return Visit and 100% Proof) from knackered vinyl!

Hmmm. I seem to remember some quite pricey Fontana Tubbs set that DG was pushing. Now presumably all that will be reissued in much better sound, and some folks here will gnash their teeth -- but eventually buy it. I actually didn't buy it last time around, though I might now, depending on final price.

Dead-Sea Scrolls stuff, fantastic news if that is the case. Hopefully we will get to now hear the full '100% Proof' sessions with extra tracks and alternative takes as detailed in Simon's book.

I have the Japanese Fontana issues for some of them and the two Ronnie Scotts live sessions do sound pretty good, if it is the case that they were actually dubbed from vinyl. The 'Redial' versions weren't bad either.

For the others, if they had asked me nicely I could have done them a nice LP transfer (e.g. a good stereo '100% Proof' and 'Return Visit'). :) It will be great to get to hear some of these 'unearthed' Tempos from the master tapes as well, although the Sawano vinyls were excellent I thought.

Edited by sidewinder

Thanks for the info, Roger. Does the "authoritive source" say whether/when these unearthed master tapes will be reissued?

Thanks for the info, Roger. Does the "authoritive source" say whether/when these unearthed master tapes will be reissued?

Not as yet, but the fact they have been found is significant. I was beginning to despair of this ever happening.

My LP has arrived in the mail from Vocalion, so should be some interesting listening over the weekend.

Shame it isn't an exact replica sleeve as per the Sawanos, however the price then would probably be at least twice as much.

Edited by sidewinder

Just had an initial spin through and the sonics sound excellent ! The LP benefitted from a wash in the record cleaning machine beforehand, not unusual for these new 180g pressings. A big thumbs up.

Norma Winstone's voice - lovely.

I wonder how many copies they have pressed - I can see this one selling out quick.

Edited by sidewinder