Ok, I'll See Your Goofy Wife/Record Blog & Raise You...

JSngry

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually was reading this blog last week. I find her pretty creepy actually, but she does look nice in brown boots. But this obsession of putting herself into the covers so to speak. . . creepy.

She's kinda cute, and not cute at the same time.

Odd.

You nailed it!

I never perceived Andy Kaufman's wrestling persona to be creepy. Just a spot-on heel character.

Except when he started challenging women, then it got...out there.

Then again, I think that Andy Kaufman at that point was doing, like, the Interstellar Space of comedy.

But I'm pretty sure he started that character as the inter-gender champion. Then his friend Jerry Lawler got involved and the rest was wrasslin' history. He didn't start with Lawler then switch to women. So he was creepy and then not so much?

Ok, I'm misremembering my chornologicals, then. But still...The whole inter-gender thing was just...out there, got even more out when Lawler got involved, and the Letterman thing was just...some kind of pinnacle, of everything comedic. Andy Kaufman was fearless, truly fearless. Most "fearless" comedians, they'll break at some point. Lenny Bruce broke, or at least got beaten down. Dice Clay got broken by the fundamental indecency of his whole premise, had to retreat for his own sanity (or something).

The only thing that broke Andy Kaufman was death, and there's still some question about that! :g

Let me stipulate that for me, "creepy" is not always a negative. It's just something that generates an initial feeling of some kind of unease/discomfort. How that resolves itself, that could go anywhere. Andy Kaufman, resolved to heroic awe. 600 pound guy in shorts and a t-shirt standing in the park giving out balloons to kids, resolved to...hope the cops are keeping an eye on this.

I actually was reading this blog last week. I find her pretty creepy actually, but she does look nice in brown boots. But this obsession of putting herself into the covers so to speak. . . creepy.

Odd.

You nailed it!

Fucking bizarre, isn't it?!

I will say she has the cutest little smile. Too bad she seems to rarely flash it.

I suppose if she went back to her natural hair color, and laid off of that hideous lipstick, she could possibly shed the not cute part.

Maybe...

Though, based on her delivery in those vids Jim posted, she seems boring as all hell.

Then again, I think that Andy Kaufman at that point was doing, like, the Interstellar Space of comedy.

Seems to me he started out there.

While I STILL don't get Interstellar Space (even being one of the biggest Coltrane fans on the planet), I certainly get Andy Kaufman's humor.

And the thought of the report of his death potentially being greatly exaggerated is far more intriguing to me than that of Elvis.

Edited by Scott Dolan

Odd.

You nailed it!

Fucking bizarre, isn't it?!

I will say she has the cutest little smile. Too bad she seems to rarely flash it.

I suppose if she went back to her natural hair color, and laid off of that hideous lipstick, she could possibly shed the not cute part.

Maybe...

Though, based on her delivery in those vids Jim posted, she seems boring as all hell.

Seems to me he started out there.

While I STILL don't get Interstellar Space (even being one of the biggest Coltrane fans on the planet), I certainly get Andy Kaufman's humor.

And the thought of the report of his death potentially being greatly exaggerated is far more intriguing to me than that of Elvis.

I get Interstellar Space but NOT Andy K...so, what?

An exhibitionist, in love with herself. Just what we need.

That pretty is pretty much a defining characteristic of any entertainer.

I don't know what "we need", but what I like is an entertainer who actually entertains me.

On that count, winning, her is!

I'm not sure I completely agree. Yes, you have to be outgoing and all that but she's going beyond the line where every entertainer has confidence in him/herself to just showing off. I didn't find her blog particularly appealing.

I've learned - the hard way - that comedic tastes are every bit as personalized, perhaps even as primal, as sexual tastes. Nobody's going to "get" anything unless they feel it inside. Argument is futile, argument for the purpose of conversion potentially volatile, if not outright dangerous. Some of the strongest arguments I've observed and/or been involved in have been generated from the that's funny/no it's not dichotomy between individuals.

Ultimately, comedy is an instinct/reflex first, an idea (if even that!) second.

I think so, pretty much...the laugh reflex seems to bypass even more "appropriateness filters" than the sexual stimulation ones.

Of course, that's not to say that there's not room for appreciating the things that make for a good laugh, namely context, references, and timing, but all things being equal, two people can see/hear the same thing and one will do a pit-take, OMG THAT'S FUNNY, and the other one will jsut say BFD. And then when it gets into "what do you mean that's not funny, what kind of a pilkikrank are YOU?" and "oh, I see, you find gishicans acting like a foopledart funny, I never (or even worse, ALWAYS) figured to be a creepylesserhuman, and then, look out, no walking back from that shit, it gets real in a BIG hurry.

It's an interesting point. Babies instinctually laugh when they see or hear something funny, so it would seem that it isn't a learned response. And if someone doesn't find something humorous, they can't be taught to find it humorous.

I'm not certain that's quite right, Scott. I don't know how it was in the US, but the history of comedy in Britain since the fifties seems to show that society learned to like things in the sixties that they would have fund merely strange in the fifties. For example, Monty Python would have been completely unacceptable in an era dominated by people like Ted Ray, Tommy Trinder and Norman Wisdom (sorry if those names mean little over the other side of the Atlantic). It took a chain of small changes by a number of different people in the interim to get the public's sense of humour educated enough to get Monty Python, which it did in a big way. But it took The Goon Show (radio), Private Eye (a magazine) Beyond the fringe (theatre), The Frost report (TV), At last the 1948 show (TV) and I'm sorry I'll read that again (radio) to get the public into a frame of mind in which Monty Python could be possible.

Now that's not quite the same as educating an individual's sense of humour, but not that different, because it's a whole public-full of individuals.

MG