Stan Kenton -

Aftab

and with Ralph Carmichael, you know there's going to be a god song!

There should have been a syndicated variety show TV special with Stan Kenton playing Hair and welcoming special guests Stanley Myron Handleman and The Free Design. Something for the kids, as if Kenton playing Hair wouldn't be enough.

You know, there was a copy of this floating around my high school, it was already there when I came in. The star of the show for us kids on this record was Bud Brisbois. We were adrenalized by "screech trumpet" and, mixed down as he might be sometimes, he's screeching all over this record. It was at least a few decades later that I came back to the record and heard all the flutes and shit.

nice of Kenton to pay one last tribute to Les Baxter btw!

The context(s) of this record runs soooo many different directions at once, you don't even have to listen to it if you don't want to, just look at everything that was happening before it, during it, and after it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 18.2.2004 at 2:39 AM, Aftab said:

I dig a lot of the west coast/pacific jazz guys he employed over the years - any recs?

Correct.   Shorty Rogers, Bud Shank, Bob Cooper,Art Pepper,Shelly Manne, Curtis Counce, Conte Candoli, Lee Konitz,Frank Rosdolino, Maynard Ferguson, you name them and they all did succeed in in way or the other with their own groups and orchestras (Sh. Rogers / M. Ferguson). Most of these artist´s are in my collection.

On 18.2.2004 at 1:05 PM, king ubu said:

What I'd like to know is: can the recordings of the Holman/Russo Mosaic be bought on single CDs? Some of the 53-54 CDs available do have Holman/Russo charts, however, is there a way of acquiring all that was in that Mosaic set?

Could anyone maybe name the respective albums?

A good source is this one By Terry Vosbein with all tracks listed (not the albums however)

http://allthingskenton.com/table_of_contents/recordings/mosaic/holman_russo/

Now that we are digging out ancient threads again (this is just one of several in-depth ones on Kenton IIRC), the other day I added a handful more to my Kenton collection at the annual clearout sale at a local used records store: a very early US Capitol pressing of City of Glass/This Modern World, the "Kenton's Christmas" album on Creative World plus four of those "One Night Stand" LPs on Joyce. I remember JSngry mentioned the Kenton Wagner album in another Kenton thread some years ago - last year I bought that one at that clearout sale and on listening I agree with him - it works surprisingly well and is not nearly as pompous as one might have feared.
The low price (that encourages taking chances) aside, the "Kenton Christmas" album of course looked like a fitting buy at that time of the year and I might give it a spin on the 24th. A first listening has me a bit puzzled (but not put off). Any opinions by others on that album?

57 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Kenton Christmas is kinda like his National Anthems Of The World project  - totally straight (and straightforward) readings, no intention of putting "jazz" into it at all. I don't care for it/them, but that's me, not it/them.

I had it, couldn't even finish listening to it.  And I like Kenton.   

3 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

the "Kenton Christmas" album of course looked like a fitting buy at that time of the year and I might give it a spin on the 24th. A first listening has me a bit puzzled (but not put off). Any opinions by others on that album?

I love the Kenton Christmas album (it's the mellophonium band, one of my favorite Kenton bands) and listen to it at least once each December.  I also have this CD, which you might enjoy:

099402464923.jpg?v=10

Ouch!
Thanks, but no thanks!

I have a LOT of those Creative World LPs (a handful bought new at full price at the time and quite a lot more nice-to-have ones bought later at low secondhand prices) and my wants lilst has about 7 more (in case I come across them cheaply, as was the cas with the Wagner and Christmas LPs), but ST1060 will certainly NOT figure on that list.

My, my--I did listen to all three of the tunes Jim posted from the Kenton/Ritter album. Those are nine minutes I'll never get back! Was the National Anthems album ever issued by Capitol, or was that strictly a Creative World release? Don't plan to put that one on my list either!

It did occur to me that having only Kenton doing some country songs (without Tex moaning away through them!) might have been at least interesting!

gregmo

2 minutes ago, gmonahan said:

It did occur to me that having only Kenton doing some country songs (without Tex moaning away through them!) might have been at least interesting!

Agreed. But since Tex Ritter (or any of his breed) never were my cuppa in country music that pairing would never have made it to my wants lists either. :D

FWIW, even within the "trade" some seem to have felt the same way about Tex Ritter. Listen closely here from 02:25: ;)