Wayne Shorter - Opinions sought

GA Russell

Of those three BNs, Moto Grosso Feio will always be comfortably third. Between the other two,depends on what kind of place you want to go to when you press the play button. I generally prefer Iska, but that's an evolutionary progression. Can't go wrong with Etc., though, it's a lot more of a "jazz" records.

I'd not rest until I got a copy of the original LT LP, though, just for the cover.

shorte_wayn_etcetera~_102b.jpg

I got Native Dancer in the Complete Columbia Albums box, and it's fine there. If you have even half an interest in the others contained in that set, that's the way to go to get that one, I think.

I'd go with Iska if you have other Shorter BN's, because it's a unique date. Etcetera is a superior example of the standard BN recordings of the time. All three are worth hving, even Feio - it just doesn't measure up to Iska. I have always really liked Native Dancer (Nascimento is great on it), but the original CD does have horrid sound, and I have no interest in his other Columbia recordings, so I have never found a price-effective solution to that conundrum.

I'm with Felser. Iska is the one if you've already got other Shorter BNs. It has a very strong identity of its own that sets it apart from what went before and points to where WS was headed. I just wish I could track down a good clean vinyl without a wrecked cover. Etc is a fine date but nothing ground breaking to these ears

I'm with JSngry on that Etc cover though....the hunt is on!

Etcetera is a good record - I've never been blown away by it, but it's strong.

I have a clean Iska cover but the LP, though it looks nice, sounds terrible. Must've been a bad pressing. Neat album, as is Moto Grosso Feio.

My Iska's pretty clean apart from a pressing bubble that explodes like a bomb for three revs on each side. Certainly wrecks the atmosphere

I simply think the Shorter blue notes with Joe Chambers have a great groove and that Etcetera, Adam's Apple and The All Seeing Eye have a special vibe even beyond fine recordings like Juju or Night Dreamer.

I've heard the later blue notes being discussed years ago and it confirmed to me (rightly or wrongly) that the early to mid 60's Shorter would never be approached again.

Still balking at trying Without a Net - I didn't like any of the earlier recent quartet records and I don't like his sound on soprano saxophone.

BUT upon relistening to the classic blue notes, they rate for me above almost anything released on the great label at that time - their (and his) legendary reputation are very well deserved

Would love to see a corrected 'Native Dancer' out as a common or garden download. Music is lovely but the pitch variations on the version I have make it unlistenable. Wish they wouldn't lock these things away in multi-boxes and premium formats.

I believe that the new Blu-Spec 2 cd from Japan, which isn't that expensive, has the corrected version (believe I read that elsewhere). The Complete Columbia Album set is at least not that expensive and if one didn't have a few of the other albums a good deal.

Can't share your wish for downloads personally, I'm not a computer audio fan, but yes it would be nice to have it out and easily accessible.

Regarding Wayne's soprano sound, I think it's the very best ever. In modern times, Tim Garland has a wonderful sound on soprano ( and tenor) also.

In fact, regarding the recording mentioned in the title of the post, I would buy any of them just for his soprano sound and let the other chips fall were they may.

Which Wayne soprano sound are we talking about? The one he had when he was just starting to deal with the instrument, the one that he had when started feeling really comfortable with it, or the later one where he could/can make it make any sound it needed to make any time he wanted to?

Same thing with Sonny Rollins' post=comeback sound, people say they don't like it, I have to ask, again, which one? Because there are several, neither him nor Wayne are people who just got "a sound" and stayed there no matter what. They kept working with it and over time it would become something else altogether. Some of it age, some of is clarity, some of it is a greater command, all of that.