YOU GOT TEN MINUTES LEFT TO LIVE!!!

JSngry

Never mind the desert island, which may or may not happen to you in your lifetime. This is something that will happen to you in your lifetime, it will end.

But here's the hypothetical - let's say you get a courtesy call from Death, hey babe, it's time, ten minutes. No exceptions, dig?

So of course you go through all the stages and goodbyes, but, you know, music matters, so you got to hear one thing before you leave this phase and take it to the next (whatever that is or isn't). So what's it gonna be, what will death come into the room to?

Spiritual as well as Secular selections allowed, because, again, not a desert island. Death, final curtain, point of no return. Ten minutes, baby, ten minutes. A guaranteed eventuality with a 100% predictable outcome. Make it real, because it will be.

Inspired by for some reason remembering Albert Lion playing Am I Blue to his wife while she slowly checked out. That is one of the most profound non-performing musical acts I've ever heard about.

I'd have to go full-bore retrospective and put this on (LP version, the folks' Glenn Miller Story soundtrack LP on decca) because it's the only thing I can think of that I've heard for literally as long as I can remember, had the record for even before I could remember, and about the only thing that meets those criteria that I can still run into with full embraces, always have always will.

Besides, by the time that thing's over and I've done danced it out, hey, fuck it, we're good for anything now, let's go.

4e31c330a3895_144166n.jpg

Born/Adopted into a Glenn Miller world, surreptitiously & permanently abducted by that funny little man in the white coat, onward through the fog into the light, often looking back but never moving back, always home/never home, what becomes of the broken-headed?

How 'bout Billy Kyle and that 9th chord at the very end, how's that for ending by taking the next step up?

Maybe this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCepSR4pUMY

Or this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3vpiTgG59A

Or this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvxURJb1jBg

Or...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrqb0373cVs

Or...

Hell, it would be nerve-wracking.

Edited by Noj

My choice :

Sam Cooke "A Change Is Gonna Come"

everything is in there - like a 3.11 movie of someone`s life - rather by chance one of the final scenes in Spike Lee`s (in)famous Malcolm X movie (aka Denzel Washington`s face during his cabdrive to Malcom`s final destination) deepened this view, as these pictures come to my mind regurarly....

Edited by soulpope

Well ten minutes is time for two songs, if you pick carefully, so I'm going with

Gene Harris, "Blues for Ste Chapelle," one of my favorites of Gene's "happy" blues originals.

To be followed by

Maria Muldaur, He Don't Have The Blues Anymore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwLDp8cPjm4

It will run a bit past ten minutes, so Death can come back and hear that I'm ready to go as Maria takes me out:

He's not worried about his rent
You know his money's all been spent
He don't care if they repossess his car
He no longer is afraid
You know his debts have all been paid
No, he don't have the blues anymore

He's got a smile on his face
that cannot be erased
No, he don't have to worry like before.
Lord, he's finally settled down
Stopped all that running 'round

One by one he's said goodbye
to the trouble and all the strife
Now he's headed where he's never been before
He no longer feels alone
He's finally found a happy home
Oh, he don't have the blues anymore

All his friends were glad to see
that he's finally been set free
And they took him and they laid him in the ground
He's finally got it made
He's just resting in the shade

Now he's gone beyond the sky
with the angels up on high
and he's headed right for Heaven's open door
He's been pardoned and released
Finally filled with a heavenly peace

My choice :

everything is in there - like a 3.11 movie of someone`s life - rather by chance one of the final scenes in Spike Lee`s (in)famous Malcolm X movie (aka Denzel Washington`s face during his cabdrive to Malcom`s final destination) deepened this view, as these pictures come to me mind regurarly....

The single version or the later album version with the restored verse?

Maria Muldaur, He Don't Have The Blues Anymore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwLDp8cPjm4

He's not worried about his rent

You know his money's all been spent

He don't care if they repossess his car

He no longer is afraid

You know his debts have all been paid

He's got a smile on his face

that cannot be erased

No, he don't have to worry like before.

Lord, he's finally settled down

Stopped all that running 'round

One by one he's said goodbye

to the trouble and all the strife

Now he's headed where he's never been before

He no longer feels alone

He's finally found a happy home

All his friends were glad to see

that he's finally been set free

And they took him and they laid him in the ground

He's finally got it made

He's just resting in the shade

Now he's gone beyond the sky

with the angels up on high

and he's headed right for Heaven's open door

He's been pardoned and released

Finally filled with a heavenly peace

Wow - that is perfect!

My choice :

everything is in there - like a 3.11 movie of someone`s life - rather by chance one of the final scenes in Spike Lee`s (in)famous Malcolm X movie (aka Denzel Washington`s face during his cabdrive to Malcom`s final destination) deepened this view, as these pictures come to me mind regurarly....

The single version or the later album version with the restored verse?

Paul,

as it`s being the voice of Sam Cooke providing this intense feeling of consolation, freedom and light......it would not make a difference...

I would want to get my money's worth, so I checked my iTunes library for every track I have that clocks out exactly at 10:00. The list...

Light And Lovely - Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis, Buddy Tate, Coleman Hawkins, Arnett Cobb - Very Saxy - Prestige

Soul People - Sonny Stitt - Soul People - Prestige

Lady Be Good - Kenny Burrell - At The Five Spot Cafe - Blue Note

Willow Weep For Me - Stanley Turrentine & The Three Sounds - Blue Hour - Blue Note

Medley: I Have Dreamed / The Puzzlement / Something Wonderful - The Mastersounds - The King And I - World Pacific

Those Were The Days - Dexter Gordon - Those Were The Days - Moon

The Shadow Of Your Smile - Dexter Gordon - The Shadow Of Your Smile - Steeplechase (Winner, although my first instinct was to choose something more upbeat, like "Okie Dokie Stomp")

Totem Pole (Alternate Take) (WTF? I'm not settling for an alternate take in a situation like this!) - Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder - Blue Note

On Green Dolphin Street - Miles Davis - Jazz Track - Columbia

Blue N' Boogie - Curtis Fuller - Jazz Conference Abroad - Smash

Lucka Duce - Frank Strozier - Fantastic Frank Strozier - Vee Jay

Night And Day - Pete Jolly - Strike Up the Band - Pete Jolly & His West Coast Friends - Atlas

I'd probably pull a piece of 17th century harpsichord music - Johann Jacob Froberger's "Méditation sur ma mort future" which he wrote after having survived an attack by a group of robbers on his way to London.

But Lester Young's 1940's recording of I Can't Get Started would be nice, too....

There are no wrong answers, this is not an examination, there are only personal choices, although Steve, you don't get twenty minutes, Death said ten, Death means ten. A lot of us might in fact be living on borrowed time, but in this scenario, time's up, debt due, Doug E. Fresh got six minutes, we get ten, count your blessings.