Jackie McLean's 1950's Prestige Recordings

Late

I have that album, but due to lack of time or for the purpose I just listened to "These Foolish Things" from the ballad session on Side 2. 
The reason was I´m gonna play a gig with a great alto saxophonist who´s sound is also "sugar free" so I wanted to get a bit inside it, though of course I know the ballad anyway. 

Nice how Jackie plays it, but Mal Waldrons piano in the intro and solo seems to be a bit too .....how do you say "dry" for what I want to add to the tune. I want to get the piano intro and solo a bit more "heart-felt", fitting to the lyrics of the song. 

I remember long time ago I spinned that album (I had a batch of japanese mini lp covered CD´s ) and this one was one of them. 
Well, for one time listening was enough: A long jam blues where Jackie also plays a second solo on tenor (with a bit of "hollow" sound, some fine Curtis Fuller, quite that´s it. 

I think I have another one that´s titled "4,5 +6" which is not very inspired, a quite indifferent interpretation of "Sentimental Journey" or some kind of this....., 

They are "nice" , but I like the BN´s better.....

Herunterladen (11).jpg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4/2/2022 at 7:18 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

I wear and have worn a tie practically every single day I’ve been at work (at the Museum I’ve worked for since 2013, and also in a desk IT-related job I had from 1994-2003).  Here in DC, I used to be the assistant to the executive director of a major DC museum for ~7 years (immediately pre-pandemic) — and now I work in the Museum Shop (where I deal with the public 90% of my day, every day, same museum).

As many of you might remember, I have this huge collection of 100+ vintage narrow square-bottom ties from the 60’s — mostly Rooster brand (plus a few others).

I’m not “Rooster_Ties” here just for nothin’ — and also on the Steve Hoffman Forums, on Reddit, and a few other places. Hell, I think that was my userid on the old BNBB, come to think of it.

And let me tell you, it’s 100x easier and simpler for me to not otherwise look like a schlub, simply by wearing a tie every day. When I was upstairs (in Administration), it was always with slacks. Now it’s with jeans (incl. a few “non-blue” jeans, i.e black jeans, grey, brown, etc). It’s (the ties)… well, they’re my thing.

My work wardrobe is infinitely easier to not have to think about (not at all, really), with that big collection of interesting vintage neckties to choose from. Without them, I would have zero sense of style. And while I’m still not always the most stylish person in the Shop, at least I always look a million times less generic (and more importantly, less like a schlub).

Note: I’m NOT saying people who don’t wear ties look like schlubs. Just that *I* do.

Interesting posting. 

Music related: I´m glad that even in clubs the performers dress better than in the 70´s. I also combine black jeans or grey jeans with a nice shirt and sometimes a nice tie if I wear a sakko. The only thing I don´t do is being "over-dressed". I mean I like 3 piece suits too, but not in a cellar club. 
The only thing is, indifferent what we wear it must look "hip" and handsome. If I wear a dark three piece suit with tie, I´d combine it on street with cool shades and a pilote style carry luggage (don´t know how you say it exactly in English).
But sometimes I feel like wearing let´s say blue jeans, a dark but hip styled dressed sakko but no tie. Fashion is an important aspect for me and as long as I can I do what is possible for not lookin like my grandpa. Well, at 63 you don´t have the fresh face of a 30 year old, but at least I use day and night creams and cover the signs of aged face with cool air.pilote styled shades as much as I can......

I´ve noticed that most young guys also are good dressed on the gig. I know a good bass player who always wears a tie. 

About Jackie McLean: When I saw him live he wear a light yellow-brown summer suit, and the other musicians (all of them stars ! (Bobby Hutcherson, Herbie Lewis, Billy Higgins) wore dark suits, white shirts and ties, very very good lookin.