Mosaic plans Beehive box

brownie

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just the kind of set for Mosaic. Often Mosaic sets include things that have already been reissued on CD. But the Bee Hive material has not, to my knowledge, shown up on CD anywhere.

Another similar concept would be for Mosaic to put together a set of the many Xanadu sessions that have not made it to CD.

Some Xanadu things were reissued on CD, but a large number have not.

I believe you will see some action in the future from the Xanadu catalogue, but not from Mosaic.

This is just the kind of set for Mosaic. Often Mosaic sets include things that have already been reissued on CD. But the Bee Hive material has not, to my knowledge, shown up on CD anywhere.

Another similar concept would be for Mosaic to put together a set of the many Xanadu sessions that have not made it to CD.

Some Xanadu things were reissued on CD, but a large number have not.

I believe you will see some action in the future from the Xanadu catalogue, but not from Mosaic.

Oh.... do tell!

Checking through , I find i have these ones, listed in rough order I'd place them. All of them are worthy , the top 3 are special. 4-9 are v good but a notch behind and the Mance is the only one I recall being al little disappointed in. I will of course need to relisten. I think this is a great idea for a Mosaic.

1. Manhattan Project, Dizzy Reece Sextet, 1978, Bee Hive BH 7001

2. In High Profile, Dick Katz, 1984, Bee Hive BH 7016

3. Neo/Nistico, Sal Nistico, 1978, Bee Hive BH 7006

4. Roots, Branches And Dances, Ronnie Mathews, 1979, Bee Hive BH 7008

5. The Burn Brigade, Nick Brignola, 1980, Bee Hive BH 7010

6. Baritone Madness, Nick Brignola Sextet featuring Pepper Adams, 1978, Bee Hive BH 7000

7. Keep On Pushin', Arnett Cobb, 1984, Bee Hive BH 7017

8. Starfingers, Sal Salvador Sextet, 1978, Bee Hive BH 7002

9. Juicy Lucy, Sal Salvador All-Star Quartet, 1979, Bee Hive BH 7009

10. Truckin' And Trackin', Junior Mance, 1984, Bee Hive BH 7015

Michael Cuscuna told me it would be 2 6-cd box sets.

So it will be 2 separate mosaic sets?

Yes, I was told by Michael Cuscuna that it would be 2 seperate 6-cd Box sets. Although, I guess things can always change. I'm really excited about this set as I've heard very little of this music! It will be a must buy for me. As much as I really love the older music Box sets that Mosaic puts out (Armstrong, Ellington, etc.), I'm glad that Mosaic is putting out these modern jazz sets too! (Not sure if the word "modern" is the right word to use but I think you all know what I mean).

Definitely exciting news though looking over that discography link I realize that in the past 15 years or so I've acquired used copies or burns of all the discs that stand out as 'must haves'. But there are enough unheard, intriguing ones that I will definitely go for this when they come out. (Also not a bad idea to give Mosaic a little love, as it's been quite a while since I bought, or caused to be purchased, any new releases.)

Wondering if there are alternates or unissued tunes to be included - that would make this a no-brainer. Since they never came out on disc, there was never an opportunity to re-examine session tapes.

:tup:party:

Edited by Dan Gould

This is exciting news for me. Some of my favorite Mosaics have been these anthology type sets - HRS, Capitol, the Clifford Jordan Strata East set.

I have zero of this Beehive material - so it will be a no-brainer for me. Will have to get in line behind the Dial set though.

This is fantastic news. I have Burn Brigade, Dr. Chicago and a Ronnie Matthews recording and they are fantastic. I was always hoping that Beehive would come out in disc so I can't wait for this to come out. Thanks to all who made this possible, which I assume includes Mark.

I count 17 lps on my shelf - I think that is the full issued catalog:

BH 7000: Nick Brignola -Baritone Madness

7001: Dizzy Reece - Manhattan Project

7002: Sal Salvador - Starfingers

7006: Sal Nistico Neo/Nistico

7007: Curtis Fuller - Fire & Filigree

7008: Ronnie Mathews - Roots, Branches & Dances

7009: Sal Salvador - Juicy Lucy

7010: Nick Brignola - Burn Brigade

7011: Ronnie Mathews - Legacy

7012: Johnny Hartman - One in Every Life

7013: Roland Hanna - The New York Jazz Quartet in Chicago

7014: various - Hyde Park After Dark

7015: Junior Mance - Truckin' and Trakin'

7016: Dick Katz - In High Profile

7017: Arnette Cobb - Keep on Pushin'

7018: Clifford Jordan - Dr. Chicago

BH 01: The Bee Hive Session Unissued Tunes Vol One

Don't know the story on BH 7003-5 but to my knowledge they were not issued. Wonder if they'll be in the set? Altogether a fine body of workl

Pete