Mosaic plans Beehive box

brownie

If you're going to get it at all, now's the time, remember?

That Dizzy Reece side is killer, more like a Strata-East session. I think that's a "must-have" no matter what the format.

Me myself, I'll not be getting it. I have most of the LPs (all of the one's I want), and would not be without them. If I didn't have those LPs, I'd seriously consider this Mosaic.. But I do, and the music is not of Jordan/Strata-East musical/historical import.

But geez, it does have an abundance of outstanding tenor players and tenor playing!

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was listening to the Dizzy Reece session earlier today and was noticing some similarities stylistically with his Tempo sessions back in the UK in the 1950s. For sure, an individual vision and this is quite searching music. A lot of unease in it as well - at least to my ears.

I have quite a number of the sessions on Beehive LPs but even so, great to have the box.

Edited by sidewinder

Reece did another album, for Futura (with John Gilmore!) that I think is in line with his Bee Hive date. I like that one a lot too.

Now, here's one of his I've never heard, on Honey Dew. Never heard it, but it sure looks interesting. Looks to be Reece + the Lookout Farm rhythm section + Steve Grossman. Anybody heard it?

https://www.discogs.com/Dizzy-Reece-Possession-Exorcism-Peace/release/3385090

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

Reece did another album, for Futura (with John Gilmore!) that I think is in line with his Bee Hive date. I like that one a lot too.

Now, here's one of his I've never heard, on Honey Dew. Never heard it, but it sure looks interesting. Looks to be Reece + the Lookout Farm rhythm section + Steve Grossman. Anybody heard it?

https://www.discogs.com/Dizzy-Reece-Possession-Exorcism-Peace/release/3385090

Looks to be available for listening out on Youtube.

I am really glad that I have this set. It is consistently good and enjoyable, and in the case of the Ronnie Mathews albums, I think it is great. Ronnie's "Roots, Branches and Dances" album is one of my favorite jazz albums by anyone, anytime. This is the first time it has been issued on CD, to my knowledge.

Yeah, the only reason I can stand pat with my LPs is because Dusty Groove has more or less consistently had old sealed or NM copies of, not the entire catalog, but a significant portion of it, for sale over the years. Diem carped. If not for that, I'd be in, just for the tenor players.

3 hours ago, felser said:

Looks to be available for listening out on Youtube.

Hell's Tubular Bells, some of it is!

Anybody know the province of Honey Dew? That label seemed kinda shady, what with all the Elvin live stuff and all. Don't misunderstand me, I bought some of it out of the cuttout bins, just sayin'...

15 hours ago, JSngry said:

Yeah, the only reason I can stand pat with my LPs is because Dusty Groove has more or less consistently had old sealed or NM copies of, not the entire catalog, but a significant portion of it, for sale over the years. Diem carped. If not for that, I'd be in, just for the tenor players.

Jim, if my memory serves me still, you are a bit more forgiving than I when it comes down to the sound quality on some dates, so this might not matter much... I bought this Mosaic box even though I had most (all?) of the LPs because I wasn't that happy with the sound on these LPs. I think Malcolm Addey did a great job with the master tapes here. Mosaic even mentioned his work on their sales pages:

SOUND QUALITY

For this project, we flew to Chicago to uncover all of the original analog tapes for these albums as well as session reels that yielded a number of alternate takes of interest. The tapes were shipped back to Malcom Addey’s studio in New York where he transferred them at 24 bit into the digital domain. Addey’s mastering seamlessly wove Bee Hive’s 16 albums, recorded in various studios in New York and Chicago over eight years, into a coherent audio tapestry.

As an added bonus, I now can play this music anywhere I have a disc player, which is important since my turntables are still packed up from my move - last November! On top of that, I finally have "Starfingers" without a huge pop in the first track. :)

Hey, my first 5-6 Bird records were airshots. "Sound quality" is never a primary concern to me because no record or CD sounds 100% real to me. At best, it's been a band sound in the room where I can't tell where the speakers are. But live, I know exactly where the drummer is, especially if they're like, right behind me, in my ear...

So there are alternates on this BeeHive thing? Of what?

• 1 year later...
16 hours ago, mikeweil said:

JazzMessengers has the BeeHive box set back in stock! No idea how many copies, though ...

https://www.jazzmessengers.com/en/70151/various-artists/the-complete-bee-hive-sessions

FWIW, I thought about 75% of the set was really great.  Not all equally really great -- but there's really only about 3 of the 12 discs that I've spun considerably less than all the others.

I wouldn't call it quite 'essential' -- but I'm really glad to took the plunge (which I'll admit having done in good measure because I'd bought so much from Mosaic over the years, and I wanted to show them some support.

That said, there's probably a full half-dozen albums from this set that are just spectacular, and probably half of the rest are really nice too.  FWIW, and YMMV.