Mosaic plans Beehive box

brownie

To me it`s generally good news that Mosaic is again dealing with "more recent" (as far as late 70`s/early 80`s qualify reg that matter) recordings......for sure interesting, to which extent (if at all) unissued material will be available.....

Edited by soulpope

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I may value the material more than you and think it's a good choice as far as material. . . . But beside that, these sessions have NOT been on cd before and that makes me thing this is a smart choice for Mosaic.

I think this is a great choice, as noted. The sessions I've listened to are superb, IMHO of course ;)

This is just the kind of set for Mosaic. Often Mosaic sets include things that have already been reissued on CD. But the Bee Hive material has not, to my knowledge, shown up on CD anywhere.

Another similar concept would be for Mosaic to put together a set of the many Xanadu sessions that have not made it to CD.

Some Xanadu things were reissued on CD, but a large number have not.

I believe you will see some action in the future from the Xanadu catalogue, but not from Mosaic.

Oh.... do tell!

Zev Feldman is going to be reissuing several Xanadu titles next year on the Elemental Music label,

Edited by marcello

Not really feeling the need for the Sal Salvador "fusion" dates, but other than that...not sure if I have the entire catalog on vainly, but do have most of, but it's used vinyl, in some cases well-used vinyl, so this will be an upgrade.

And it's a fine, fine catalog.

Not sure I get your reference to the Salvador "fusion" dates, Jim. They're pretty straight ahead IIRC.

Not really feeling the need for the Sal Salvador "fusion" dates, but other than that...not sure if I have the entire catalog on vainly, but do have most of, but it's used vinyl, in some cases well-used vinyl, so this will be an upgrade.

And it's a fine, fine catalog.

Not sure I get your reference to the Salvador "fusion" dates, Jim. They're pretty straight ahead IIRC.

Might be a faulty memory at play...for some reason I recall them being "contemporary" or some such.

I have the Sal Salvador dates and they don't sound like fusion to me. I actually bought "Starfingers" twice. The first one I bought skipped a few seconds into the first track on side 1. The second one skipped in the exact same place (on two different turntables). I figured that it was a pressing defect so I looked at the second one under a microscope and found a piece of sludge molded into the groove. I picked that chunk of plastic out and now there's a pop but no skip.

is Zev Feldman French? I know that Schlitten, who I like but who is a pain, has complained about prior French Xanadu reissues.

Can't speak to the personal side of things, but he did the recent 1965 Jimmy Giuffre thing, which was very well done on all counts.

He's also doing a Red Garland release with Leroy Vinnegar and Philly Joe Jones that is set to come out next month. :Nod:

• 5 months later...

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your interest in the Complete Bee Hive on Mosaic. I had the great honor of writing the liner notes to the set, so I can shed a bit of light on this topic and clear up some of the misconceptions that have been posted on this thread.

The 12-CD set will include everything that Bee Hive recorded, including the Johnny Hartman album. And since Mosaic is always exacting with its audio fidelity, the Hartman LP has been restored to its original great sound (On the "Bridges of Madison County" soundtrack some fool set those tracks at the wrong speed). Also, as you can expect, the set will include tracks that have been previously unreleased and very lively photos from the sessions (Bee Hive producers Jim Neumann and especially his wife Susan Neumann were great about saving slides from the dates). The liner notes also include new interviews with about half a dozen musicians who recorded for Bee Hive, including Curtis Fuller and Norman Simmons. No fusion dates were recorded for Bee Hive, and you'll be able to read about the Neumanns' advocacy for original music within the acoustic bebop tradition in the notes. :D

Michael Cuscuna and the folks at the Mosaic office have a better sense of the release date. All I can say to that is, hopefully soon!

Best,

---Aaron