BFT #129 Discussion Thread

felser

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I think I stand no chance on this one. Thanks for putting it together, felser. I think I'll just sit back and quietly read the thread. :)

Well, I think I stand no chance on this one. Thanks for putting it together, felser. I think I'll just sit back and quietly read the thread. :)

Just enjoy! Hope you discover some new music you like.

Edited by felser

Post-Milestone Bartz?

Milestone Bartz.

Ah! "Perihelion And Aphelion" from Another Earth. I keep forgetting that that record has a Side 2...reminder both needed and appreciated.

Glad to be of service :) . Now , if we could just get someone to issue 'Home' on CD...

Edited by felser

#7 is the title track from Azar Lawrence's"Bridge Into the New Age", which was in the first wave of jazz albums I ever bought. I really liked McCoy Tyner's "Enlightenment" album, on which Azar is the featured horn player, so when I saw "Bridge..." I bought it and also liked it. To my knowledge it has never been reissued on CD. Thanks for the memories!

#7 is the title track from Azar Lawrence's"Bridge Into the New Age", which was in the first wave of jazz albums I ever bought. I really liked McCoy Tyner's "Enlightenment" album, on which Azar is the featured horn player, so when I saw "Bridge..." I bought it and also liked it. To my knowledge it has never been reissued on CD. Thanks for the memories!

I came to that album through the same path. It came out last year on Japanese CD. Got mine for about $20 on ebay - it's much more expensive on Amazon.

I came to that album through the same path. It came out last year on Japanese CD. Got mine for about $20 on ebay - it's much more expensive on Amazon.

Darn, it is about $40 on ebay now (in CD format). But thanks for that information, that it was ever reissued on CD. I will keep a lookout for it. By the way, this is a really enjoyable BFT!

Track 1 - Aw yeah! My man Gary Bartz! This is such a powerhouse band. It’s the closing track from this.

Track 2 - This is pleasingly 70s. That electric bass doesn’t really bother me, which would ordinarily suggest Jymmie Merritt, but it’s not him. I’m pretty much a sucker for vibes in this setting. No! This is a Strata-east record. The poem gives it away. Track 4 from this. Not the most technically proficient musicianship, but MAN! This cooks!
Track 3 - Freddie’s Arietis. Such a bitchin’ tune. Love the original with Elvin (Ready For Freddie). This is Freddie’s own remake from this. It’s incorrectly titled as “Aries”.
Track 4 - Huh, this one I don’t have. A little far over the line of this for what I typically listen to, but I like it in the mix. Flirts with George Adams, but it’s not him. Not sure.
Track 5 - Man, this has that feel of the period I love. Drums are not that well recorded, but has the feel of Gary Bartz’ I’ve Known Rivers. Loving that bass. There’s a little Azar Lawrence, a little Billy Harper, a touch of Ron Bridgewater… I’m not sure who it is, but I like it. It could be the latter. I know there were two Denon dates, only one of which I own. Doesn’t sound like Cecil, though. Bitchin'!
Track 6 - Now, *this* electric bass bugs me. That’s Carlos Garnett on tenor. OH! I know this. It’s track 1 from this.
Track 7 - Sure sounds like Dee Dee to me. That 70s, post-Coltrane tenor sound, but this guy is working it well. It sounds a lot like Woody Shaw to me. Because I’m not getting the actual album, I’m thinking it’s one of his Japanese counterparts. Another bitchin’ track.
Track 8 - This one rings no bells, but I like her voice.
Track 9 - I am TOTALLY in on this. I have this. Sounds like a Horace Silver influenced tune, but I can’t place it. This one is going to trouble me. I *know* I have this.
Track 10 - Very lovely track. Very reminiscent of Hum-Allah, Hum-Allah, Hum-Allah. Oh… well, that explains that. :) Not Dwight Trible, but someone in that vein. The tenor has a late-Harold Land influence to my ears. I’m changing my mind, that’s Dwight Trible. This troubles me because I thought I had ALL the Dwight Trible recordings. I’ll be adding this one.
Track 11 - At first, I was thinking Gene McDaniels, but the voice is not deep enough. Definitely in the vein of the stuff he was doing in the early 70s. I like this a lot. Looking forward to the review on these last two. I guess this could be Mark Murphy, but I’m only slightly familiar with him. There’s that McD thing again just after 7 minutes. Saw McD do that live once… such an amazing performer when you saw him live.
Thanks for what I think might rank as the best BFT of 2014. Well done!

[Edited to fix my hyperlinks]
Edited by Thom Keith

Track 11 - At first, I was thinking Gene McDaniels, but the voice is not deep enough. Definitely in the vein of the stuff he was doing in the early 70s. I like this a lot. Looking forward to the review on these last two. I guess this could be Mark Murphy, but I’m only slightly familiar with him. There’s that McD thing again just after 7 minutes. Saw McD do that live once… such an amazing performer when you saw him live.

Now this intrigues me. You've compared one of my favourite ever singers to someone I don't know, Gene McDaniels. What early 70s Gene McDaniels should I try and hear? thanks

Now this intrigues me. You've compared one of my favourite ever singers to someone I don't know, Gene McDaniels. What early 70s Gene McDaniels should I try and hear? thanks

Start with Boby Hutcherson's "Now" album, for the great "Slow Change" and "Hello To The Wind".

Also, McDaniels had a huge pop hit in the early 60's with "A Hundred Pounds of Clay", though that has nothing to do with his subsequent work. He wrote some hits for Roberta Flack if I remember correctly.

Track 1 - Aw yeah! My man Gary Bartz! This is such a powerhouse band. It’s the closing track from this [http://www.discogs.com/Gary-Bartz-Another-Earth/master/533636].

Yes, monster track!

Track 2 - This is pleasingly 70s. That electric bass doesn’t really bother me, which would ordinarily suggest Jymmie Merritt, but it’s not him. I’m pretty much a sucker for vibes in this setting. No! This is a Strata-east record. The poem gives it away. Track 4 from this: [http://www.discogs.com/JuJu-Chapter-Two-Nia/master/194775]. Not the most technically proficient musicianship, but MAN! This cooks!
Love this one, always have.
Track 3 - Freddie’s Arietis. Such a bitchin’ tune. Love the original with Elvin (Ready For Freddie). This is Freddie’s own remake from this [http://www.allmusic.com/album/the-body-the-soul-mw0000612194]. It’s incorrectly titled as “Aries”.
Magic to me.
Track 4 - Huh, this one I don’t have. A little far over the line of this for what I typically listen to, but I like it in the mix. Flirts with George Adams, but it’s not him. Not sure.
You'll find this reveal interesting...
Track 5 - Man, this has that feel of the period I love. Drums are not that well recorded, but has the feel of Gary Bartz’ I’ve Known Rivers. Loving that bass. There’s a little Azar Lawrence, a little Billy Harper, a touch of Ron Bridgewater… I’m not sure who it is, but I like it. It could be the latter. I know there were two Denon dates, only one of which I own. Doesn’t sound like Cecil, though. Bitchin'!
None of the players you suggested, but well enogh known guys. Great energy on this.
Track 6 - Now, *this* electric bass bugs me. That’s Carlos Garnett on tenor. OH! I know this. It’s track 1 from this [http://www.allmusic.com/album/slewfoot-mw0000666339].
I LOVE the electric bass on this! Surprised at your response to it !
Track 7 - Sure sounds like Dee Dee to me. That 70s, post-Coltrane tenor sound, but this guy is working it well. It sounds a lot like Woody Shaw to me. Because I’m not getting the actual album, I’m thinking it’s one of his Japanese counterparts. Another bitchin’ track.
Not Dee Dee, it's the other one (I always confuse two singers from this period) . Correct on Woody Shaw.
Track 8 - This one rings no bells, but I like her voice.
Should be a fairly mind blowing reveal. Possibly the only BFT track that's ever been awarded a gold record by the RIAA.
Track 9 - I am TOTALLY in on this. I have this. Sounds like a Horace Silver influenced tune, but I can’t place it. This one is going to trouble me. I *know* I have this.
Actually will be surpirsed if anyone has this, but cool!
Track 10 - Very lovely track. Very reminiscent of Hum-Allah, Hum-Allah, Hum-Allah. Oh… well, that explains that. :) Not Dwight Trible, but someone in that vein. The tenor has a late-Harold Land influence to my ears. I’m changing my mind, that’s Dwight Trible. This troubles me because I thought I had ALL the Dwight Trible recordings. I’ll be adding this one.
It's Dwighyt Trible. You'll find tenor and pianist interesting.
Not McDaniels or Murphy.
Thanks for your kind words and great insights. Wonderful job on ID'ing so many. And thanks for loading/ hosting the tracks for me!

Start with Boby Hutcherson's "Now" album, for the great "Slow Change" and "Hello To The Wind".

Also, McDaniels had a huge pop hit in the early 60's with "A Hundred Pounds of Clay", though that has nothing to do with his subsequent work. He wrote some hits for Roberta Flack if I remember correctly.

What he said. Gene wasn't only a huge talent, he was a quality human. If you want to hear the progressive, non-Jazz side of Gene, check out Headless Heroes of the Apocalypse and Universal Jones. I agree that the Hutcherson records is the place to start, though. That's in my desert island collection. Even Gene's early pop stuff is worth the listen.

Thanks for your kind words and great insights. Wonderful job on ID'ing so many. And thanks for loading/ hosting the tracks for me!

De nada.

What he said. Gene wasn't only a huge talent, he was a quality human. If you want to hear the progressive, non-Jazz side of Gene, check out Headless Heroes of the Apocalypse and Universal Jones. I agree that the Hutcherson records is the place to start, though. That's in my desert island collection. Even Gene's early pop stuff is worth the listen.

De nada.

Thanks gents. I know 'Now' but didn't make the connection with McDaniels. I'll check him out further after this

I'll second the praise for this BFT. Really hit the spot and opened up some new avenues for me

Still trying to get a grip on who #4 might be...I keep wanting it to be Harold Vick, but it's not.

It's an interesting guy, one I like a lot.

I went back to lay an ear on this again after reading my comments. It was REALLY familiar. I was thinking Sleep Walker, so I went to the iTunes drive and started mining. Suddenly, as I was scrolling and listening, it hit me. It's this. Love his work on Andrew Hill's Lift Every Voice.

Still trying to get a grip on who #4 might be...I keep wanting it to be Harold Vick, but it's not.

It's an interesting guy, one I like a lot.

I went back to lay an ear on this again after reading my comments. It was REALLY familiar. I was thinking Sleep Walker, so I went to the iTunes drive and started mining. Suddenly, as I was scrolling and listening, it hit me. It's this. Love his work on Andrew Hill's Lift Every Voice.

Correct. Very very interesting guy.