Blindfold Test #128: The Reveal

Noj

063298.jpg

1. Asa Martin "Wild Cat Rag" The Stuff That Dreams Are Made Of: Super Rarities

Guitar - Asa Martin

Mandolin - Roy Hobbs

Recorded in Richmond, IN. Wednesday, 10/19/1932

I often listen to my collection on random, and I like the jarring changes between genres. The more jarring the better. I love the happy sound of this tune. Music for a funny cartoon.

Smithsonian_Swing_That_Music.jpg

2. Cootie Williams With Duke Ellington & His Orchestra "Echoes Of Harlem" Swing That Music, Vol. 3

Duke Ellington, piano, arranger, directing:

Arthur Whetsol, Cootie Williams, trumpets

Rex Stewart, cornet

Joe Nanton, Lawrence Brown

trombones

Juan Tizol

valve trombone

Barney Bigard, clarinet

Johnny Hodges, reeds

Harry Carney, reeds

Ben Webster, tenor sax

Fred Guy, guitar

Hayes Alvis, string bass

Sonny Greer, drums

Recorded in New York

February 27th, 1936

The simplicity of the theme appeals to me. I immediately stopped what I was doing and went to the computer to see who this was. A perfect little song, recorded on what would be my birthday much, much later on.

61rnuBlRItL.jpg

3. Los Mirlos "Lamento En La Selva" Cumbia Beat Vol. 1

Jorge Rodríguez (voz principal y Director) Carlos Vásquez (tumbadoras) Hugo Jáuregui (timbales) Gilberto Reátegui † (guitarra) Danny Fardy Johnston López (guitarra) Segundo Gustavo Rodríguez (tumbas) Tony Wagner Grández Aguilar (bongó).

Recorded 1973

Another total change of pace like I enjoy. A dirty, funky, latin-twinged surf guitar. Sign me up. Anywhere Los Mirlos appear on a compilation, it's special.

51VINTGSUcL._SS280.jpg

4. Aldo Romano, Louis Sclavis, & Henri Texier "Harvest" African Flashback

Clarinet, Soprano Saxophone - Louis Sclavis

Double Bass - Henri Texier

Drums, Guitar - Aldo Romano

Beautiful little tune I grabbed on a whim.

51JSuiKI-EL._SS280.jpg

5. Jack Wilkins "Red Clay" Windows

I love this version. I searched for this for a loooong time after A Tribe Called Quest sampled it.

51DRC29SCAL.jpg

6. Art Blakey Big Band "The Outer World" Ain't Life Grand

Recorded 1958

So I have this on the pictured John Coltrane compilation The Bethlehem Years. I was trying to sneak a 'Trane through the room!

51O3tyFIXGL.jpg

7. Joe Sample "In All My Wildest Dreams" Rainbow Seeker

MI0000094697.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

8. Andrew Hill "Soul Special" V/A Blue Note Rare Grooves

Woody Shaw - trumpet ;

Frank Mitchell - tenor saxophone ;

Andrew Hill - piano ;

Jimmy Ponder - guitar ;

Reggie Workman - bass ;

Idris Muhammad - drums.

from "Grass Roots" (2000), Blue Note.

Recorded on April 19, 1968.

I have a bunch of Andrew Hill's Blue Note albums, and he's usually much more introspective and complex than this funky number, so I thought maybe he'd be unrecognizable in this context. Awesome to hear he could bring the greeeeaazzze too.

53452fd61387fbd30cac4bf267f1dd93.jpg

9. Onzy Matthews "Midnight Lament" Mosaic Select Disc 1

Trumpet: Dupree Bolton

Alto Sax: Earl Anderza

Tenor Sax: Hadley Caliman

Piano: Roosevelt Wardell

Bass: Clarence Jones

Drums: Chuck Carter

Recorded June 30, 1963

Previously Unissued

I lucked into this set as I have a friend who worked at Capitol for a while who got free Mosaic Selects all the time. Compiling this BFT, it occurred to me that many others might not have found a place in their budget to pick up the Onzy Matthews set. This track stands apart from much of the compilation, and I dig the mood it creates. Standards were so high back then this didn't even make it onto an album!

1016734.jpg

10. John Klemmer "Free Soul" Magic Moments

Recorded February, 1969

Originally released as Blowin' Gold (Cadet/Concept 231)

Another famously sampled song, it's been a favorite of mine for a long while. It seems to straddle jazz, funk, and rock simultaneously. I was really stoked at how many of the participants seemed to love this one as much as I do!

More to come later!
Edited by Noj

11. Carmen McRae "Speak Low" American Popular Song Disc 4

Jack Plies Orchestra, Personnel Unknown

Recorded 12/16/55

Another box set I picked up in order to explore the swing era and music prior to my usual focus (small instrumental ensembles, early 60s to early 70s). Carmen I had heard on some of her 60s dates, so I was intrigued to hear her in this context, doing one of my favorite standards.

12. Idris Muhammad "Wander" Black Rhythm Revolution

Bummed this wouldn't play for Hardbopjazz. It's an outstanding song. Here's a youtube link so you can hear it if you haven't yet, HBJ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uuIiKVwd-8

This epitomizes what I love best in jazz. The theme is infectious. The solos are compelling. The rhythm is complex and driving. It's masterful.

13. The Mitchell-Ruff Trio "The Catbird Seat" The Catbird Seat

Piano: Dwike Mitchell

Bass: Willie Ruff

Drums: Charlie Smith

Recorded 1961

One I've enjoyed on a 32 Jazz compilation for some time, but haven't gotten around to exploring the actual album. Joel Dorn was really providing a service with that reissue label. I loved the low prices for high quality music, even if the graphic design and presentation left a lot to be desired. Anyway, hip little track by musicians I thought folks might confuse for others or be confounded by.

14. David Matthews "Sandworms" Dune

I got a bunch of laughs at the reactions to this hunk of cheese. I love about the first 15-20 seconds of this, and then I skip it. That opening bass line is killer to me. But yeah, it's corny. If only someone could work the theme of this like Idris Muhammad did "Wander…"

15. DB Shrier Quartet "East" Emerges

Recorded April 1967

Enjoyed the hell out of this on a Gilles Peterson compilation and thought it might really stump listeners as to who it might be.

16. Stanley Cowell, Stanley Clarke, Jimmy Hopps "Miss Viki" Illusion Suite

Piano: Stanley Cowell

Bass: Stanley Clarke

Drums: Jimmy Hopps

Recorded 1973

I like Stanley Cowell, but I have to agree with the overall impression that this feels…incomplete or not fully realized. I still like the mood it conveys. Perhaps hastily recorded or under-rehearsed?

17. Cedar Walton "Mode For Joe" Eastern Rebellion

Most nailed this classic. Phenomenal. Although I am squarely in the camp that loves Joe's original best. Hey, c'mon. It's Joe.

18. The Heath Brothers + Brass Choir "Voice Of The Saxophone" In Motion

Trombone: Wayne Andre

Drums: Keith Copeland

French Horn: Joseph DeAngelis

Bass Trombone: Paul Faulise

Bass: Percy Heath

Flute, Alto Sax: Jimmy Heath

Tuba: Howard Johnson

Trumpet: Irvin "Marky" Markovitz

Guitar: Tony Purrone

Recorded 1979

Another that really toes the line for how smooth I'll actually go, so I thought it might rankle some feathers but still endear itself to others. Also intriguing for me as it was sampled to great effect on the DJ Shadow album Endtroducing.

19. Moses Dillard & His Tex-Town Display "Tribute To Wes" NOW!

I love Wes. And I love this tribute. I'll shop there. My bag. Funky as all get out.

20. Sunny Ade & His African Beats "Ja Fun Mi (Instrumental)" Nigeria 70 Vol. 1

Truth be told, I had no idea this was a remix. I thought it just was what it was.

21. Maceo & All The King's Men "I Remember Mr. Banks" Doing Their Own Thing

I can always go back to James Brown, Parliament/Funkadelic, and in this case Maceo doing his own thing. This album is so funking good. Maceo in peak form, and striking a rare melancholy vibe on this one. I love this with all my being.

22. Eddy Senay "Cameo" Step By Step

Recorded 1972

Sounds like an Isaac Hayes or Curtis Mayfield instrumental soundtrack number that somehow supersedes everything expected of that scenario (much like those guys often did). I love this groove and the refrain grabs me every time. Just an odd something I wanted to share.

23. Johnny Lytle "Blues To Be There" Fast Hands

Drums: Greg Bandy

Organ: David Braham

Congas, Percussion: Lawrence Killian

Guitar: Melvin Sparks

Bass: Peter Martin Weiss

Vibes: Johnny Lytle

Tenor Sax: Houston Person

Recorded 1980

Threw this mellow ditty on there since I thought it might be tough to spot, but I didn't count on you guys being able to spot Houston Person without hardly batting an eye! Anyway, another I owe my exposure to the 32 Jazz label.

24. Harry Whitaker "Black Renaissance" Black Renaissance

Recorded January 15, 1976

I thought this one would be a little better received. I really dig it.

25. Mildred Bailey With Red Norvo & His Orchestra "Smoke Dreams" Swing That Music Disc 1

26. Elmo & Bertha Hope "Blues Left & Right" Hope-Full

Elmo and his wife tickling the ivories together. I was scouring my shelves, came across this, and did a wicked villain laugh thinking I'd confuse the hell out everybody with this unusual pairing. Not even really all that familiar with the song, or fond of it, and it didn't fool everybody!

27. Carlos Nino & Miguel Atwood-Ferguson "Find A Way"

What's interesting here is that this is a jazzy (jazz-ish? jazz attempt?) at a hip hop song. So this was a melody and song that was the result of a sample, which was then nearly transformed back into a jazzy instrumental. Though I have to agree that they dropped the ball and didn't really do anything with it. And that's really all that's happened with any of this sort of thing. C'est la vie.

28. Vin Gordon "The Message" Dubstrumentals

OK, so I love this trombone. And it can just do that simple thing it's doing here. It feels *tough* to me, similar to what I get from surf guitar songs or funk 45s. It's like 'here's this bad ass feeling, and we're not going to let it quit, we're just going to milk it a little and see who else is feeling it.'

29. Yusef Lateef "Michelle" Suite 16

Guitar: Earl Klugh

Arrangement: Yusef Lateef

Now this was a cheapie. When you upload it to your PC it's a Yusef Lateef track, on which he doesn't play, a silly little outro on an obscure 1970s Lateef album. Muwahahaha.

Edited by Noj

Good grief, seems like you’ve raided my collection and found stuff I don’t play all that much. I’ve been really embarrassed several times!

2 Oh, Duke Ellington’s big bands are one of my many weak points in jazz. Geniuses aren’t really very interesting to me; I find the ordinary working chap more interesting. Well, there we are.

3 Never heard any Cumbia before. Is this from Colombia? Is it typical of cumbias, or an oddity?

5 “Red clay” – a tune I ALWAYS fail to recognise even though I have loads of versions of it. Not this one, though.

7 Sample is a guy whose own records I haven’t explored at all. My mistake. Thanks for this.

9 This is one I’ve got. Oops! “I definitely know that I don’t know who or what this is.”

10 I don’t have this one – I don’t have any Klemmer albums. On this showing, another mistake.

13 Oh, never heard the Mitchell-Ruff trio before. Must correct that.

14 So who WAS the sax player? – you didn’t list him in the personnel.

15 Never heard of this tenor player before. Another nice intro, thanks.

17 I kept wanting to buy this LP – it was in the Cardiff 2nd hand shop for years – but I always thought, well, I’d like it but it’s probably like a jazz album…

20 Another I’ve got, but the original, which isn’t anything like this. Sorry, but when I listened again, after finding out what it was I thought, ‘Colonial mentality’.

21 Got this one, too, and REALLY should have picked up that it was Maceo. Bloomin’ ‘eck, Tucker!

23 Well, I’ve got this, too. I never picked up that ‘Blues to be there’ was the same tune as ‘After supper’ so, when I got the tune, I didn’t look or listen any farther.

24 This is interesting. I looked this up on the web just now. Apparently this track is 23:40. I guess you faded it out after five and a bit. Is the rest kinda boring?
Discogs have this to say about it.

The tapes for this LP were sent to Japan in 1976 from the artist to have private pressed. They took the audio tape and pressed it without the knowledge of the original artist, unfortunately he (Harry Whitaker) never got any compensation of the 1976 Japan record.
Recorded June 15, 1976 at Sound Ideas, New York City.

So, does the bit that you included feature Azar or David?

28 And ANOTHER I’ve got! This is actually from the album ‘Musical bones’ by Lee Perry and the Upsetters on DIP. It was reissued as part of the 3 LP set ‘Dubstrumentals’ on Trojan, which is where we both got it :)

My excuse for not getting this is simply because I really didn’t expect it.

29 If I’m not much mistaken, ‘Suite 16’ was a Joel Dorn production. A good guy, Dorn, but he did occasionally have daft ideas.

Well, that was pretty interesting and has pointed me in the direction of several people I ought to know more about.

Thanks Jon.

MG

MG, it was Grover Washington, Jr. on #14.

Sorry, I had a bear of a time getting the board software to cooperate with me last night. I had images for the whole second half, but some image extension wasn't allowed on ONE image so the board software refused the WHOLE post, and wouldn't tell me WHICH image was bad.

Thanks for your thoughtful responses! It's funny how context can really throw you off on a BFT. I've had the experience many times of not being able to identify tracks which are already part of my collection.

Not sure who might have been left off #24 due to the edit. I cut and paste all the info from discography sites. I think it's intriguing enough to want to hear the whole thing!

For shame — I should have nailed Grass Roots, perhaps my favorite Andrew Hill record. Likewise, how could I miss Illusion Suite? Shameful. I was going to say Houston Person on track 23, but it didn’t seem quite bold enough. Likewise, Billy Hart crossed my mind on the next track, but I chickened out.

Quite a mix in there, lots to make my ears smile. Thanks!

I am going to comment on groups of these songs. This was a really excellent Blindfold Test.

063298.jpg

1. Asa Martin "Wild Cat Rag" The Stuff That Dreams Are Made Of: Super Rarities

Guitar - Asa Martin

Mandolin - Roy Hobbs

Recorded in Richmond, IN. Wednesday, 10/19/1932

I often listen to my collection on random, and I like the jarring changes between genres. The more jarring the better. I love the happy sound of this tune. Music for a funny cartoon.

I purchased this box set this summer because I loved the cover art, and trust R. Crumb's taste. But I have not played it yet! Now I realize that I should have. I really enjoyed this.

Smithsonian_Swing_That_Music.jpg

2. Cootie Williams With Duke Ellington & His Orchestra "Echoes Of Harlem" Swing That Music, Vol. 3

Duke Ellington, piano, arranger, directing:
Arthur Whetsol, Cootie Williams, trumpets
Rex Stewart, cornet
Joe Nanton, Lawrence Brown
trombones
Juan Tizol
valve trombone

Barney Bigard, clarinet
Johnny Hodges, reeds
Harry Carney, reeds
Ben Webster, tenor sax
Fred Guy, guitar
Hayes Alvis, string bass
Sonny Greer, drums

Recorded in New York
February 27th, 1936

The simplicity of the theme appeals to me. I immediately stopped what I was doing and went to the computer to see who this was. A perfect little song, recorded on what would be my birthday much, much later on.

I have always loved this recording. I have this box set and think it is excellent. I included a song from this box set on my last Blindfold Test, the Artie Shaw "St. James Infirmary" featuring Hot Lips Page.

61rnuBlRItL.jpg

3. Los Mirlos "Lamento En La Selva" Cumbia Beat Vol. 1

Jorge Rodríguez (voz principal y Director) Carlos Vásquez (tumbadoras) Hugo Jáuregui (timbales) Gilberto Reátegui † (guitarra) Danny Fardy Johnston López (guitarra) Segundo Gustavo Rodríguez (tumbas) Tony Wagner Grández Aguilar (bongó).

Recorded 1973

Another total change of pace like I enjoy. A dirty, funky, latin-twinged surf guitar. Sign me up. Anywhere Los Mirlos appear on a compilation, it's special.

I have never heard 1973 cumbia, and now that I have, I really like it. . I have heard cumbia of today in some quantity recently and what I have heard does not sound much like this.

51VINTGSUcL._SS280.jpg

4. Aldo Romano, Louis Sclavis, & Henri Texier "Harvest" African Flashback

Clarinet, Soprano Saxophone - Louis Sclavis

Double Bass - Henri Texier

Drums, Guitar - Aldo Romano

Beautiful little tune I grabbed on a whim.

I have some Sclavis but not this album. Thanks for this, as it is quite beautiful.

51JSuiKI-EL._SS280.jpg

5. Jack Wilkins "Red Clay" Windows

I love this version. I searched for this for a loooong time after A Tribe Called Quest sampled it.

Is Jack Wilkins the guy who always got 42 votes in the Down Beat readers poll, year after year? I have never heard his playing before, but if he is that guy, I remember those votes. I imagined that he had that many relatives voting every year. I liked this a great deal. The bass playing by Mike Moore is outstanding.

51DRC29SCAL.jpg

6. Art Blakey Big Band "The Outer World" Ain't Life Grand

Recorded 1958

So I have this on the pictured John Coltrane compilation The Bethlehem Years. I was trying to sneak a 'Trane through the room!

I had this album in the mid-1970s on a Bethlehem reissue LP, without this cover art. I always liked it. It was fun to hear it again.

51O3tyFIXGL.jpg

7. Joe Sample "In All My Wildest Dreams" Rainbow Seeker

I have seen this album so many times in the used bins, but never bought it. I like this, more than I would have expected. I was so deeply into the acoustic jazz of that era that I did not investigate Joe Sample. This is enjoyable.

I own a half dozen of these cuts that I didn't ID (Cowell. Muhammad which I reakky liked, Hill, Mitchell-Ruff, Lytle. Whitaker, Klemmer), plus the Blakey I ID'd, but primarily come away wondering "who in the world is D.B. Shrier and how do I get that album"?

Felser, the compilation with D.B. Shrier "East" is called Gilles Peterson Digs America which I believe is fairly easy to obtain. Not sure about the original album (I'd love to hear it too!).

I'm loving your BFT#129, by the way. I think I've heard maybe two songs but I couldn't think of names. Incredibly consistent mood across it! It flows like an album.

I'm loving your BFT#129, by the way. I think I've heard maybe two songs but I couldn't think of names. Incredibly consistent mood across it! It flows like an album.

Thanks, so glad you're enjoying it! I did give some thought to flow, nice that it was recognized.

My next round of responses:

MI0000094697.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

8. Andrew Hill "Soul Special" V/A Blue Note Rare Grooves

Woody Shaw - trumpet ;

Frank Mitchell - tenor saxophone ;

Andrew Hill - piano ;

Jimmy Ponder - guitar ;

Reggie Workman - bass ;

Idris Muhammad - drums.

from "Grass Roots" (2000), Blue Note.

Recorded on April 19, 1968.

I have a bunch of Andrew Hill's Blue Note albums, and he's usually much more introspective and complex than this funky number, so I thought maybe he'd be unrecognizable in this context. Awesome to hear he could bring the greeeeaazzze too.

This is one of the very few Andrew Hill albums which I do not own. I was very much fooled by how conventionally soulful this is. I enjoyed it a lot, and thought that everyone played their butts off here.

I have read an anecdote told by Richard Davis, that when he was growing up in Chicago, he played a gig with Andrew Hill at a club there in the 1940s. The gig seemed to go on and on and on. Richard asked Andrew when they could stop. Andrew said that as there were Mafia members in the club enjoying the music, that they just had to keep playing. As the early morning hours arrived, Richard snuck out of the club with his bass, and the bass cover--he did not stop to put the cover on the bass, and hoped that he could tiptoe out to his car and drive away without getting caught.

So I imagine that back then, Andrew was playing what a drinking crowd wanted to hear, and that he had not developed the concepts which he unveiled on his 1960s Blue Note albums. So I have no doubt that Andrew could play the blues and get all soulful. I had just never heard him do it on a recording, until now. I have to get this album!

53452fd61387fbd30cac4bf267f1dd93.jpg

9. Onzy Matthews "Midnight Lament" Mosaic Select Disc 1

Trumpet: Dupree Bolton

Alto Sax: Earl Anderza

Tenor Sax: Hadley Caliman

Piano: Roosevelt Wardell

Bass: Clarence Jones

Drums: Chuck Carter

Recorded June 30, 1963

Previously Unissued

I lucked into this set as I have a friend who worked at Capitol for a while who got free Mosaic Selects all the time. Compiling this BFT, it occurred to me that many others might not have found a place in their budget to pick up the Onzy Matthews set. This track stands apart from much of the compilation, and I dig the mood it creates. Standards were so high back then this didn't even make it onto an album!

I have this Mosaic Select. I have to admit that I played it about five times and thought it was one of the less compelling Selects. But one song taken out of context here, sounds really good. I totally enjoyed this when I heard it without knowing where it came from. The soloists are unknown to me, but they are very powerful here. Thanks for causing me to reevaluate this set!

1016734.jpg

10. John Klemmer "Free Soul" Magic Moments

Recorded February, 1969

Originally released as Blowin' Gold (Cadet/Concept 231)

Another famously sampled song, it's been a favorite of mine for a long while. It seems to straddle jazz, funk, and rock simultaneously. I was really stoked at how many of the participants seemed to love this one as much as I do!

This one is a real surprise. It is fascinating to me how you Noj, with your knowledge of hip hop and sampling of older recordings, come to various pieces of music with a perspective which I lack. I just don't think at all about how a jazz recording has been sampled.

I knew that John Klemmer had recorded some things which were more substantial than his later smoother stuff, but I did not know that he had ever recorded something like this. And to think that this is Pete Cosey on guitar, about five years before his sound explosions with Miles Davis. Phil Upchurch has been excellent in every musical context I have ever heard him in, so it does not surprise me that his bass playing is so good here.

I saw John Klemmer live in 1977. He opened for VSOP (Freddie Hubbard, Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, Tony Williams). He wore loose fitting martial arts clothing onstage and struck martial arts poses in between his solos. The music was dreamy and slow and atmospheric. I imagined at the time that it would be good for relaxation or sleep therapy. This BFT cut is a universe away from all of that! I need to get this album and check the rest of it out!

More to come later!

Cool Andrew Hill story, Bill!

I think you have related your Klemmer remembrance at another time. Martial arts poses, what a dork.

I saw Klemmer open for Weather Report ca. 1975-1976. He wasn't bad, not goofy like in Bill's story. But he seemed to really be going somewhere with those Chess and Impulse recordings, then really went off the rails. I love the track "Touch" and like that album and 'Barefoot Ballet' OK, but their success seems to have ruined him. 'Course, he has always seemed to march to a different drummer, so it may have been inevitable.

Here is my next set of comments:

11. Carmen McRae "Speak Low" American Popular Song Disc 4

Jack Plies Orchestra, Personnel Unknown

Recorded 12/16/55

Another box set I picked up in order to explore the swing era and music prior to my usual focus (small instrumental ensembles, early 60s to early 70s). Carmen I had heard on some of her 60s dates, so I was intrigued to hear her in this context, doing one of my favorite standards.

I have been listening to later Carmen McRae, and it is surprising to me how she sounded so much lighter and more fun in this earlier period. I like this recording very much!

12. Idris Muhammad "Wander" Black Rhythm Revolution

Bummed this wouldn't play for Hardbopjazz. It's an outstanding song. Here's a youtube link so you can hear it if you haven't yet, HBJ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uuIiKVwd-8

This epitomizes what I love best in jazz. The theme is infectious. The solos are compelling. The rhythm is complex and driving. It's masterful.

Oh, this is a great track! Somehow I missed this album! I have to rectify that! This is just outstanding!

13. The Mitchell-Ruff Trio "The Catbird Seat" The Catbird Seat

Piano: Dwike Mitchell

Bass: Willie Ruff

Drums: Charlie Smith

Recorded 1961

One I've enjoyed on a 32 Jazz compilation for some time, but haven't gotten around to exploring the actual album. Joel Dorn was really providing a service with that reissue label. I loved the low prices for high quality music, even if the graphic design and presentation left a lot to be desired. Anyway, hip little track by musicians I thought folks might confuse for others or be confounded by.

I have often read about the Mitchell Ruff duo, but I do not know if I had ever heard them before. I did not recognize Dwike Mitchell on piano, but I enjoyed his playing very much.

14. David Matthews "Sandworms" Dune

I got a bunch of laughs at the reactions to this hunk of cheese. I love about the first 15-20 seconds of this, and then I skip it. That opening bass line is killer to me. But yeah, it's corny. If only someone could work the theme of this like Idris Muhammad did "Wander…"

This was about as far into this style of music as I would want to go. I did not find much to engage me here.

15. DB Shrier Quartet "East" Emerges

Recorded April 1967

Enjoyed the hell out of this on a Gilles Peterson compilation and thought it might really stump listeners as to who it might be.

Oh, this was just great. D.B. Shrier--I have never heard of him before. I liked his tenor sax solo a lot. I thought it was quite memorable. This one cut was worth listening to the entire Blindfold Test!

More comments later.

My next set of comments:

16. Stanley Cowell, Stanley Clarke, Jimmy Hopps "Miss Viki" Illusion Suite

Bass: Stanley Clarke

Drums: Jimmy Hopps

Recorded 1973

I like Stanley Cowell, but I have to agree with the overall impression that this feels…incomplete or not fully realized. I still like the mood it conveys. Perhaps hastily recorded or under-rehearsed?

I have heard a lot of Stanley Cowell and generally love his playing . I would have never guessed that this was him. I have seen this early ECM album around often, but never bought it. I did not like this track all that much. There just isn't much there for me.

17. Cedar Walton "Mode For Joe" Eastern Rebellion

Most nailed this classic. Phenomenal. Although I am squarely in the camp that loves Joe's original best. Hey, c'mon. It's Joe.

Really excellent piano solo. I am poor at identifying musicians so I did not identify Cedar Walton. This is top notch stuff.

18. The Heath Brothers + Brass Choir "Voice Of The Saxophone" In Motion

Trombone: Wayne Andre

Drums: Keith Copeland

French Horn: Joseph DeAngelis

Bass Trombone: Paul Faulise

Bass: Percy Heath

Flute, Alto Sax: Jimmy Heath

Tuba: Howard Johnson

Trumpet: Irvin "Marky" Markovitz

Guitar: Tony Purrone

Recorded 1979

Another that really toes the line for how smooth I'll actually go, so I thought it might rankle some feathers but still endear itself to others. Also intriguing for me as it was sampled to great effect on the DJ Shadow album Endtroducing.

I really liked the Heath Brothers group in their run of albums in the late 1970s and early 1980s, and I saw them live once--they were great. Their albums usually had a few commercialized cuts in this era, and then a lot of straight ahead acoustic songs. I did not remember this particular track. When I listened to it for this Blindfold Test, the beautiful tone of the saxophone really made an impact on me. There again, is your background with sampling, Jon, which I totally lack. It gives you such an interesting viewpoint on this music which just goes right past me.

19. Moses Dillard & His Tex-Town Display "Tribute To Wes" NOW!

I love Wes. And I love this tribute. I'll shop there. My bag. Funky as all get out.

I like this, it has a really nice feel to it, but it is too short! I wanted to hear more. Is there a credit for the pianist on the album? I liked the pianist's playing.

20. Sunny Ade & His African Beats "Ja Fun Mi (Instrumental)" Nigeria 70 Vol. 1

Truth be told, I had no idea this was a remix. I thought it just was what it was.

I like this. I know very little about Sunny Ade's music, so I could not identify this. I found it to be infectious and really good.

21. Maceo & All The King's Men "I Remember Mr. Banks" Doing Their Own Thing

I can always go back to James Brown, Parliament/Funkadelic, and in this case Maceo doing his own thing. This album is so funking good. Maceo in peak form, and striking a rare melancholy vibe on this one. I love this with all my being.

I like Maceo, and have heard other recordings by him after he left James Brown that I liked better than this. He has such a soulful way of playing. This was a little bit too slow and moody for me, just my personal taste.

More comments to come.

My final set of comments:

22. Eddy Senay "Cameo" Step By Step

Recorded 1972

Sounds like an Isaac Hayes or Curtis Mayfield instrumental soundtrack number that somehow supersedes everything expected of that scenario (much like those guys often did). I love this groove and the refrain grabs me every time. Just an odd something I wanted to share.

Wow, I had no idea who this was, and now that I read the Reveal, I still don't know. I have never heard of Eddy Senay. I like this, it is soulful.

23. Johnny Lytle "Blues To Be There" Fast Hands

Drums: Greg Bandy

Organ: David Braham

Congas, Percussion: Lawrence Killian

Guitar: Melvin Sparks

Bass: Peter Martin Weiss

Vibes: Johnny Lytle

Tenor Sax: Houston Person

Recorded 1980

Threw this mellow ditty on there since I thought it might be tough to spot, but I didn't count on you guys being able to spot Houston Person without hardly batting an eye! Anyway, another I owe my exposure to the 32 Jazz label.

I love the soulful sounds of both Houston Person and Johnny Lytle on this one. This is a great recording! Thanks for presenting it! Somehow I missed this album back in 1980.

24. Harry Whitaker "Black Renaissance" Black Renaissance

Recorded January 15, 1976

I thought this one would be a little better received. I really dig it.

I really dig it too. I like this a lot, and have never heard of it before. I love the bass playing at the beginning--now I see why, it is Buster Williams. For years on Blindfold Tests, I have guessed Azar Lawrence whenever I was not sure who was playing on a 1970s album. Now Azar is playing here and I could not identify him. I have gone online and read about this album. I am going to buy it today! This is one of the highlights of my entire Blindfold Test experience over the past five years.

25. Mildred Bailey With Red Norvo & His Orchestra "Smoke Dreams" Swing That Music Disc 1

Oh, I knew who this was! They both have such a distinctive sound. I love it when there is some swing era music on a Blindfold Test. I was fortunate enough to see Red Norvo live in 1982, with Tal Farlow in his group--a very memorable concert.

26. Elmo & Bertha Hope "Blues Left & Right" Hope-Full

Elmo and his wife tickling the ivories together. I was scouring my shelves, came across this, and did a wicked villain laugh thinking I'd confuse the hell out everybody with this unusual pairing. Not even really all that familiar with the song, or fond of it, and it didn't fool everybody!

I have albums by both Elmo and Bertha on their own, but I could not identify them together. You fooled me. It is quite an enjoyable piece of music, too.

27. Carlos Nino & Miguel Atwood-Ferguson "Find A Way"

What's interesting here is that this is a jazzy (jazz-ish? jazz attempt?) at a hip hop song. So this was a melody and song that was the result of a sample, which was then nearly transformed back into a jazzy instrumental. Though I have to agree that they dropped the ball and didn't really do anything with it. And that's really all that's happened with any of this sort of thing. C'est la vie.

Once again your familiarity with hip hop takes you into a realm which I do not know. Now that I know that this was a sample expanded back into a song, I can give this more respect. I did not like it much when I played it. It is interesting though now that you have explained that.

28. Vin Gordon "The Message" Dubstrumentals

OK, so I love this trombone. And it can just do that simple thing it's doing here. It feels *tough* to me, similar to what I get from surf guitar songs or funk 45s. It's like 'here's this bad ass feeling, and we're not going to let it quit, we're just going to milk it a little and see who else is feeling it.'

Oh, I love this. The rhythms, the soulful tone of the trombonist. If he played a virtuoso solo with feeling in the middle of the song I would consider this recording to be a masterpiece. As it is, it is a very enjoyable recording.

29. Yusef Lateef "Michelle" Suite 16

Guitar: Earl Klugh

Arrangement: Yusef Lateef

Now this was a cheapie. When you upload it to your PC it's a Yusef Lateef track, on which he doesn't play, a silly little outro on an obscure 1970s Lateef album. Muwahahaha.

I do not think it is silly at all. I really like how the guitarist plays this Beatles song. I did not recognize Earl Klugh. It is one of the better recordings I have heard by him. This is another album I have often seen in the used LP bins over the years and never picked up. I wish there were some comprehensive Yusef Lateef box sets.

Conclusions: When I did my first BFT, I made it a 2 disc set. One member said that it was "a LOT of music to listen to and absorb." That is also what you have presented. However, virtually all of it was fun, and very enjoyable to listen to. So like the Beatles' White Album, and the Rolling Stones' Exile on Main Street, one can carp at individual tracks but in the end, it is better that they were as long as they were. Thanks for a very enlightening and enjoyable BFT, one of my favorite BFTs ever!!!

Thank you for all your thoughtful responses, Hot Ptah! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

You guys all have such sharp ears, I'm always blown away by the ability to pick someone out of a blind listen. I can do it with some obvious guys who I have really saturated my brain with (Coltrane, or say Stan Turrentine, a few others), but to be able to say oh that might be Grady Tate but the snare's too sharp or to just immediately know Houston Person like it's the most obvious sound in the world impresses me to no end. That I come from this sample-hunting background might be interesting, but I can't help but feel my ears are little less knowledgable than a lot of our jazz experts here. There's a sensitivity you guys have, a consideration for the individual players, that I might not ever develop. Often I read the responses to the BFT's even if I didn't participate, just so I can be amazed by how a lot of the participants will so adeptly ID players.

Thank you for all your thoughtful responses, Hot Ptah! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

You guys all have such sharp ears, I'm always blown away by the ability to pick someone out of a blind listen. I can do it with some obvious guys who I have really saturated my brain with (Coltrane, or say Stan Turrentine, a few others), but to be able to say oh that might be Grady Tate but the snare's too sharp or to just immediately know Houston Person like it's the most obvious sound in the world impresses me to no end. That I come from this sample-hunting background might be interesting, but I can't help but feel my ears are little less knowledgable than a lot of our jazz experts here. There's a sensitivity you guys have, a consideration for the individual players, that I might not ever develop. Often I read the responses to the BFT's even if I didn't participate, just so I can be amazed by how a lot of the participants will so adeptly ID players.

That's nice Noj. I am also in awe of those who can identify the artists on these Blindfold Tests. Actually not that many members can do it, I think.

I can't do it, but I still enjoy participating. I learn so much about music and get introduced to so much music I had never heard before.