I wonder whether the Cohn Colpix will be mono or stereo. I was told there was something wrong with the stereo version (phasing? bad balances?) and got the mono years ago. It's a terrific record, with great clarinet work by Phil Woods.

And this is the Bill Crow reminiscence: http://www.billcrowbass.com/billcrowbass.com/To_Russia_Without_Love.html

I wonder whether the Cohn Colpix will be mono or stereo. I was told there was something wrong with the stereo version (phasing? bad balances?) and got the mono years ago. It's a terrific record, with great clarinet work by Phil Woods.

And this is the Bill Crow reminiscence: http://www.billcrowbass.com/billcrowbass.com/To_Russia_Without_Love.html

The Fresh Sounds site lists Colpix SCP433, which is the stereo version, but frankly that doesn't mean much. They might well have used a mono source.

Jazz Mission To Moscow was one of the first 150 or so jazz albums I owned, found in the black hole of the Treasure City cutout bins ca. 1971-2.

It's good, spry, and frisky, but also a little...huffy-puffy full of itself. for that reason, I dumped it at some point and always think I want to hear it again until I do.

Let me put it this way - the "spiritual leader" of the record seems to be Phil Woods in full "fuck you" mode, with no humility around to check him. As much as I love Mel, Mel is just egging him on here. Everybody, even Willie Dennis, seems to just want to piss on the corpse of what they had just gotten away from.

That BG USSR tour must have been a tortuous experience for a lot of people in a lot of ways. But considering all the genuinely horrific atrocities that humans have committed against each other, ancient and recent, I don't know that it would rank in top half-million, if you get my drift. So, a lot of the horror seems to me like maybe more bruised egos than genuine human rights violations, although, yes, Goodman was by all accounts King Self-Absorbed Asshole. Then again, perhaps the band just resented being topped in that area. Phil Woods screaming FUCK YOU KING OF SWING on a hotel balcony, I mean...yeah, right.

If that sort of thing sounds appealing in whole or in part, then this is the record for you!

The Feldman album is nice, but not quite what the line-up might make you think, IMO. I don't return to it often at all.

Fresh Sound is continuing to milk the last P.D. year, 1962, it seems. Nobody else would have reissued them I suppose, but how they can be "remastered" in the usual sense of the word is beyond me since I can't believe they have got the masters to work from.

"... but how they can be "remastered" in the usual sense of the word is beyond me since I can't believe they have got the masters to work from."

The actual "Jazz Mission to Moscow" was part of one of a Japanese EMI series a few years ago - pretty good.

I think we may have an answer!

I don't know nuthin' 'bout no Woods "huffing and puffing" but as I recall it's damned good swinging jazz, and Marky Markowitz sounds great -- an under-acknowledged trumpeter...

"... but how they can be "remastered" in the usual sense of the word is beyond me since I can't believe they have got the masters to work from."

The actual "Jazz Mission to Moscow" was part of one of a Japanese EMI series a few years ago - pretty good.

I think we may have an answer!

Hm, you really think they'd flat-out copy that? There's also that story, once told by Pujol, about how he acquired many tapes (supposedly ones not too far removed from the masters) and that he's working from those.

No idea where the truth lies there ...

What a great article. Thanks, Ted.