News from home - post your own news here!

I was an asshole earlier in the thread and 'fess up. Sorry to all.

It takes one hell of a standup person to say as much, Chuck.

As a professional asshole, I find your comments admirable.

And every last word of that is 100% genuine.

You gave me more chances than I earned. I would personally be remiss not to grant you the same.

I hope you and your family are well.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife made the most delicious meat loaf last night, a recipe from Arthur Rubinstein's wife Nela -- not passed on personally but delicious nonetheless. It's one of those meatloafs that has two hard-boiled eggs inside, which is fun, but that's not why it's delicious.

http://www.amazon.com/Nelas-Cookbook-Nela-Rubinstein/dp/039451761X

I'm doing photography now. Painting hasn't been rewarding, as I can't put in the physical labor and time into it that I would like.

I am showing here, at the Black Box Gallery in Portland, Oregon

http://blackboxgallery.com/Poetics%20of%20Light%20EP.html

Last month, I had a piece in the same gallery, different show:

http://blackboxgallery.com/Color%20Space-EP.html

Those are cool, Stefan! The one at Niagara Falls is really surreal feeling, with that nebulous rainbow-laden background. How large are they printed?

I love photography but I've yet to invest the time or money to approach it artistically. Someday...

Here's some of my newest paintings. A restaurant is hanging them to sell, and the owner even bought a couple.

64276_10205512208872635_2394720676479084

BB King

10407368_10205391971266770_7712654784664Frank Sinatra

10370895_10205322729615772_5442857308324Miles Davis

All are acrylic on canvas.

Not a deal of news here.

I've been enjoying my good health after successfully completing a gruelling antiviral course that has cured my Hepatitis C.

I feel like a new man, walk 10k or more a day and sleep like a baby.

We are off to Thailand for a three week holiday in early January.

It's the first time for The Missus but my 4th or 5th. The last time was more than thirty years ago so I'm looking forward to seeing the changes.

The addition of a train system in Bangkok will certainly make life easier. We'll visit Bangkok, Ayuthaya, Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai.

No beaches, I'm not a sand and surf fan.

The Missus is busy compiling lists of restaurants , looks like it's going to be a gourmet trip.

Not a deal of news here.

I've been enjoying my good health after successfully completing a gruelling antiviral course that has cured my Hepatitis C.

I feel like a new man, walk 10k or more a day and sleep like a baby.

We are off to Thailand for a three week holiday in early January.

It's the first time for The Missus but my 4th or 5th. The last time was more than thirty years ago so I'm looking forward to seeing the changes.

The addition of a train system in Bangkok will certainly make life easier. We'll visit Bangkok, Ayuthaya, Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai.

No beaches, I'm not a sand and surf fan.

The Missus is busy compiling lists of restaurants , looks like it's going to be a gourmet trip.

Great news about the health improvement!

I'm getting married! She's a beautiful, tall, fair, feisty Mexican gal who makes me laugh and want to be a better man for her. First time I have really been in love and in a lasting relationship. She even likes jazz.?

?

We sold our house, quit our jobs, and moved up to Richmond in late Spring. My wife took the summer off to spend time with the kids before the school year. She landed in a great position with the James River Association a few weeks back. Perfect fit.

I'm reluctant to share much personal information online these days. Still a bit shell-shocked for obvious reasons I guess.

Richmond is a cool town, my sister lives there. Maybe I'll look you up if I get down there again this decade. :) Glad it suits you all. And I live 30 miles west of Richmond so let me know if anyone wants to meet up!

Cool, I definitely will if I get down there. I'll add the caveat that I probably won't be leaving Ohio for any trips for any length of time. My sister is pressuring my Dad to move in with her and her husband in Richmond but he clearly does not want to go. And I'm in charge of caring for him here which is a seven day a week job for me and prohibits me from traveling.

News for this week is that my Uncle (Jack Armstrong the All-American boy) is visiting this week from Portland and my Aunt Mary Alice is coming up in a few days for a few days from Michigan. It's really nice for my Dad to have his siblings here at this time. More work for me. . . but that's okay.

Really sorry to hear about your mom, Lon. Good most of you were there at that moment. It does help to share especially with the people you love. Hope your dad is coping. Drop me a note whenever you feel like it. I haven't forgotten your kind words either. liefs

I've had a gig tonight with a big band. First time after a very long time of not being able to perform because of health problems and some personal stuff, so I was really nervous. I didn't do great, but it went okay and someone even suggested I should ask him for a duet some time in future, so I guess it went okay and I'm just being a perfectionist. I now am going to get back to working on my own music and some Dutch jazz and I'm going to record my vocals over a track an overseas friend made me since he loved the song so much and we are now planning to be long distance duet partners. :)

Great news that you are back doing some performing page!

My uncle and aunt, my Dad's two siblings, were here for a week, and though it was sort of a pain for me in ways it was great for my Dad. He's sunk a bit since they left but I think the worst of the immediate grief is over for now. It's interesting to me that because I lost my spouse seven years ago I can recognize emotions and reactions he's having.

We also have had some good talks that have resulted in my having a clear plan to work towards next year---in July I'm going to move way over to Chardon to live with my girlfriend (may be my fiancé by then) and we'll arrange help so that I can have person here with Dad in the morning and evening and I can make the long commute from Chardon to Bay Village and back six days a week or so for as long as that can last. . . . I'm looking forward to a new life with my lovely Lucinda and hope this works out for Dad. So much can happen between now and then.

Edited by jazzbo

Bit of news here...after an extended battle with cancer (multiple-myeloma) and a weight loss of 80 pounds, it looks like I have finally turned the corner toward recovery. Two back surgeries and neuropathy in both legs was the physical cost, but the pain has eased off a bit and with the aid of physical therapy, I am beginning to walk again. The cancer has been stopped and I am in what the oncologist calls clinical remission.

I also retired this last month (my medical concerns forced me out a bit early), so I look forward to that journey as well.

The result is I am a changed man. And I offer to all of you on this BBS, my sincerest apologies for anything I said or did which may have caused you anger or distress. This battle with cancer came at a bad time in my life and at a high cost. I am better now and ready to move on with a new perspective on life. It is my hope forgiveness will trump past indescretions. At this point in my life, any day above ground is a good day. I hope you will give me that chance.

Best,

Tim

Edited by TimMcG

I walked to Shinjuku and back yesterday, 19K. Hope you had a good time down under. Picked up the pass btw, thanks.

Really excellent time, thanks and no hitches. Thanks again for the pass !

I would have a hard time walking to Shinjuku without popping in every time to Disk Union.. :rolleyes:

Edited by sidewinder