Grant Green french TV '69, 43 min of grant

chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

Holy. Shit. Too bad about the deletion of KB and BK's solos on the one tune (the title is escaping me at the moment), but that closer (I Wish You Love) is dynamite. One of the greatest rhythm guitarists in jazz history accompanying one of the greatest soloists. I had heard about this concert, and hoping it would surface. Big props, Chewster.

Holy. Shit. Too bad about the deletion of KB and BK's solos on the one tune (the title is escaping me at the moment)...

This was driving me nuts, but I finally figured it out. The tune is "How Could You Do A Thing Like That To Me" (also known as "Sultry Serenade"). It's usually listed as having been composed by Tyree Glenn, but I've also seen it listed as an Ellington composition. Anyway, now I can sleep tonight.

Amazing how Grant doesn't use the pinky finger that much.

There are a lot of great guitarists that never used their pinky that much; Kenny Burrell, Wes, Jimmy raney, George Benson, Chris Flory and Peter Bernstein, who Peter Leitch thinks is so Grant Green influenced that he calls him Peter 'Green'stein.

I posted a link to this on a jazz guitar forum, and got yelled at by some dude who thinks that it should be taken off of youtube, because Grant Green Jr. isn't getting any money from it.

He said there's a video of it that's being sold somewhere.

There has never been a lack of moral indignation on internet forums...

I posted a link to this on a jazz guitar forum, and got yelled at by some dude who thinks that it should be taken off of youtube, because Grant Green Jr. isn't getting any money from it.

Did he tell you where to buy the video?

i wonder if this same french tv studio ever did a hank mobley episode

Amazing how Grant doesn't use the pinky finger that much.

There are a lot of great guitarists that never used their pinky that much; Kenny Burrell, Wes, Jimmy raney, George Benson, Chris Flory and Peter Bernstein, who Peter Leitch thinks is so Grant Green influenced that he calls him Peter 'Green'stein.

?

wouldnt grant bernstein be a better nickname, i mean, come on.... :smirk:

Edited by chewy

Did he tell you where to buy the video?

His facebook page links to a site where it can be purchased, it looks like it's a download-only deal.

Edited by bluesoul

Does Green Jr. own the rights to the video in order to sell it?

Discussion on the Hoffman forum:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/watch-grant-green-perform-seven-songs-live-in-paris-in-1969-unreleased.399278/

This appears to be the setlist. Anyone know the title of song 6?

1. Don't Want Nobody to Give Me Nothing

2. Oleo
3. How Insensitive
4. All Day Long
5. Sonnymoon for Two
6. ? (not sure what this song is)
7. I Wish You Love

Does Green Jr. own the rights to the video in order to sell it?

Discussion on the Hoffman forum:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/watch-grant-green-perform-seven-songs-live-in-paris-in-1969-unreleased.399278/

This appears to be the setlist. Anyone know the title of song 6?

1. Don't Want Nobody to Give Me Nothing

2. Oleo

3. How Insensitive

4. All Day Long

5. Sonnymoon for Two

6. ? (not sure what this song is)

7. I Wish You Love

Please read post #8, above.

Grant Green was part of a Guitar Night in a Jazz Expo tour. I didn't get to this concert in the London leg of the tour but I'm guessing 1968 or 69.

Maybe November.

(sorry didn't spot that Brownie had come up with the date)

Edited by JohnS

Burrell recorded "How Could You..."/"Sultry Serenade" for Columbia (part of the "Moten Swing" CD release on Euphoria several years ago); Cadet ("Cool Cookin'"); and also for Muse ("Ellington A La Carte").

It also appeared on Sinatra's "Swing Easy", Garner's "Concert By The Sea" and "Dance Awhile With Doggett" (w/Billy Butler)...

Edited by Jim R

The video was taken down from YouTube and the message says: "The video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Grant Green Jr."

Interesting. Did Green Jr. actually obtain the legal copyrights (from apparently the French television entity) to sell the Parisian video himself? It looks like he just obtained an incomplete, multi-generational edited bootleg dub from somewhere and is selling it on payloadz.com.

While I have no issue with the Green family being compensated, if he is not the owner of the video, then the actual copyright owner is not getting compensated for those sales. If Green Jr. is the copyright owner as he claims, why does the footage he is selling not appear to be complete and first generation in video fidelity?

I'd love to see the complete program transferred from the source tapes and issued on home video in the best quality, such as the Jazz Icons series.