Do you listen to jazz on the radio?

Utevsky

Thank you, Jim. Very much. We are now going to make available our previous evening's jazz program on line for 24 hours after it broadcasts. The program airs live Monday through Friday, 10 p.m. - 3 a.m. eastern standard time. I record Saturday morning, 7-10 a.m. and Sunday night 7-10 p.m. Here's last night's broadcast, starting about 2:30, featuring vocalist Catherine Russell: http://199.176.235.218/ondemand/17-1-20141212.mp3

Edited by Lazaro Vega

Thank you, Jim. Very much. We are now going to make available our previous evening's jazz program on line for 24 hours after it broadcasts. The program airs live Monday through Friday, 10 p.m. - 3 a.m. eastern standard time. I record Saturday morning, 7-10 a.m. and Sunday night 7-10 p.m. Here's last night's broadcast, starting about 2:30, featuring vocalist Catherine Russell: http://199.176.235.218/ondemand/17-1-20141212.mp3

Listened to the Tyner link. Thanks!

Generally I'd rather hear music than hear people talking on jazz shows. But Larry Kart was a thoroughly rewarding and entertaining guest on two of my WHPK (and whpk.org) shows.

I usually program a show in a sort of Voice-Of-America style: early jazz and swing-era idioms at the beginning, moving to bop and and idioms that emerged in the bop era, then to Ornette and post-Ornette idioms. Since recorded jazz is nearly 100 years old, the styles are approx. evenly apportioned.

Monday Dec. 22 will be a extra-long show, 4 hours, and the first show of 2015 will be mostly Thelonious Monk records.

Listen to quite a bit of jazz radio mainly on the net only a few hours a week on Public radio in my area and those sets I'm not feeling. I'm a mainstream kind of cat and my fav stations are WWOZ , WRTI and KJAZZ. I listen at the job, in my ride using my monster hook-up and late night at the crib as I fall to sleep. Thank God for Pillow Speakers keeps the wife cool. I also us XM , Pandora , AccuRadio and just hooked up Google All Access for $10 bucks a month u can listen to just about any album out there. That's pretty hip.

word

• 2 years later...

I'm so far behind in listening to new acquisitions that I never listen to radio at home or in the car, either terrestrial or satellite stations. 

The backlog is always 1200 or more releases, some of them boxed sets.

I produced a weekly broadcast program for fifteen years, but after the first five, jazz was moved to Sundays, where listenership is scarce.

I had the opportunity to interview a number of greats for my program and I think jazz on the air has its place. 

I used to listen fairly widely to jazz radio to hear new/different sounds, but the Spotify streaming service now fulfils that function better than anything before.

I still listen to Ghost of Miles's Night Lights on WFIU because of his interesting and informative approach, now cemented by our personal friendship.

On 12/10/2014 at 7:57 AM, Teasing the Korean said:

When it comes to jazz, larger public (NPR) radio stations don't have any freedom. I think they are expected to play new releases and to "keep jazz alive" through your tax-deductible contribution. If you got a DJ gig at an NPR station and played nothing but classic Prestige and Blue Note LPs, you'd be fired before your first week was out.

I agree that non-NPR college stations and smaller community radio stations can play whatever they want, but not the larger NPR public stations.

I should add that JSngry's comments above generally reflect where I am.

Well, I guess there are exceptions to the rule. The only limitations regarding freedom is that of a general listener ship that may not completely want to engage in Albert Ayler's music at 8 a.m. on a Saturday morning and will let you know. Otherwise, I'm free to choose. The compromise is to offer historic music for 20 minutes and new music or whatever local concert needs support or whatever crosses the mind for 40 minutes, 5 hours a night. We've improved our on demand resource, but the programming is intended for late night listening, 10 p.m. - 3 a.m., which you may keep in mind should you check out Jazz From Blue Lake here: www.bluelake.org/ondemand 

My discovery of jazz coincided with the launch of "Jazz FM" here in the UK, around 1993/94. The daytime programming was distinctly lacking in jazz, but the evenings were pretty good, especially "Dinner Jazz" (you can imagine what it was like!). After a year or two it rebranded to "JFM", which meant less jazz, then I think it was taken over and rebranded "Smooth FM", which was as bad as it sounded.

Still, for a year or two, you could actually hear jazz on the radio. Jazz FM's slightly older cousin "Classic FM" is still going, playing Classical music's greatest hits and adverts for very middle-class folks on rotation.

As far as I know, BBC radio still plays "Jazz Record Requests" for an hour a week, the other 167 hours being strictly classical music.

Edited by rdavenport

I gave up on Jazz FM pretty well from the mid-90s onwards. Very thin offerings on the serious jazz front but plenty of soul/MOR and jazzy muzak for bankers and bankers molls. :)

My favourite station was actually Radio London back in the early 80s when on Sat you used to get a couple of hours of Brian Priestley followed by another hour or two of a young Gilles Peterson.

Radio 3 with Charles Fox and co. had some good stuff on around that time as well, not least the sessions they recorded of UK groups at Maida Vale for broadcast.

These days most of the jazz radio action as far as I'm concerned is on the streaming services and non-UK stations. No great loss !

Edited by sidewinder