Those who have passed away this year in the world of jazz in 2014

Hardbopjazz

Some not already mentioned, some of whom haven't had (and deserve!) their own threads:

Daniel Jackson, the saxophonist and composer who contributed many of the compositions as a precocious member of Lenny McBrowne and the 4 Souls.

Charles Moore, the fiery trumpeter from Detroit who was a member of Kenn Cox's group on their excellent Blue Note albums.

Ray Santisi, the highly respected educator and pianist who recorded with Donald Byrd and Serge Chaloff, and taught many of the modern giants of jazz piano.

Chris White, bassist with Dizzy Gillespie and many others. He did some arrangements for the Eric Dolphy: Freedom of Sound festival this past summer.

Milton Cardona, a prolific percussionist.

Frank Strazzeri, whose tasteful playing and appreciation of obscure Great American Songbook tunes enriched many groups.

Med Flory, the mastermind behind the fun Bird tribute band, Supersax.

Herb Wong was a wonderful, warm man. I treasure his friendship.

I remember going to KJAZ to do some volunteer work (shelving LPs, moving boxes) with Bob Houlehan and thinking "who's that guy?". My puzzlement only lasted a moment. "Ah, must be Herb Wong." And of course it was. So it goes with people on the radio (especially before the internet). Hip far beyond his appearance, IMO.

Edited by BeBop

when I met Dupree Bolton, many years ago, he was living on the street, and he said the only person who was helping him was Herb Wong.

You met Dupree Bolton? Incredible! Where was that? Was he playing in the street or what? He was last seen in San Francisco in the 1980s, if I remember correctly (from reading "Gifted" in Granta magazine).