Great Christmas Music

David Ayers

I feel we started off on the wrong foot with the topic of Christmas music. Lets mention or post good ones here. No negative comments please....

Bereite dich, Zion, mit zärtlichen Trieben,

Den Schönsten, den Liebsten bald bei dir zu sehn!

Deine Wangen

Müssen heut viel schöner prangen,

Eile, den Bräutigam sehnlichst zu lieben!

Edited by David Ayers

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure we did this before but I've never had any problem repeating myself.

Britten's 'A Boy Was Born', Honegger's Une Cantate de Noel', Messiaen's 'La nativite du Seigneur' and the obvious Bach and Handel always go down well here. Might explain why no one visits me at Xmas.

The three Coope, Boyes and Simpson Xmas records (plus a new one from Coope, Simpson, Fraser and Freya) are my first choice for a folky Xmas.

On the traditional carols front 'O Little Town of Bethlehem' and 'O Come O Come Emmanuel' (even if it does make me think of a 70s riske film).

Though the folksy 'Shepherds Arise' from the Copper Family collection is my all time favourite - tremendous crunchy harmonies and a melody line that seems to change direction every two bars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6vNkUDkRDA

A more polished version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB1wz8F-57Q

I also have a fair few folky Scandinavian Xmas albums which are lovely.

Jazz wise I like that 'Jazz for Joy' record, the Ella album and, of course, Miles' 'Blue Xmas'.

Oh, and 'Blues, Blues Christmas' - a fabulous 2 CD collection of blues and R&B tunes including the immortal 'And Death May Be Your Santa Claus'.

51LutBg8woL._SS280.jpg

And if you like a bit of Central French hurdy gurdy music...

61rG7rM1iYL._SS280.jpg

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Another option I've been enjoying is Pandora.com. I think I just typed in "Christmas carols" which plays a lot of Christmas choral music. I'm kind of surprised at how refreshing it is to listen to this kind of stuff because it's not played to death on the radio. Beautiful stuff...

Edited by mikelz777

61RldYaBlAL._SY300_.jpg

For "straight" Christmas music, I love Robert Shaw's choral arrangements - but I admit that it's in my blood. This was some of my parents' favorite Christmas music, in various incarnations - my mom had the 78 albums by the Robert Shaw Chorale back in the day. That was before my time, but I remember the mono LPs, followed by the stereo versions. Shaw's last version of these arrangements (I think) is from 1994, by what was basically the Atlanta Symphony Chamber Chorus - Songs of Angels on Telarc. It's beautifully recorded, and includes some haunting, unusual repertoire along with the usual stuff. I particularly like this arrangement of "O Come, O Come Emanuel," the English "The Boars Head Carol" and "The Coventry Carol," "The Cherry Tree Carol" from Kentucky, and the odd, medieval "My Dancing Day."