Freddie Webster possibly unknown soloist on...

dankarlsberg

Lately I have had Freddie Webster on my mind, so I don't know if I am trying to see something where it isn't, but... I was listening to the Don Byas "Midnight at Minton's" High Note CD issue (Jerry Newman 1941 recording). On "Body and Soul" they have the first trumpet solo listed as an unknown trumpet. I think it sounds like Freddie Webster.

Does anyone else think this? The solo starts at about 1min 40 sec in.

I also had Freddie Webster on my mind a few days ago, when I was revisiting some Joe Guy stuff from Minton´s. I also was aware of the "unknown" trumpet player but I don´t know who it is.

Freddie Webster had a beautiful broad sound with vibrato. I heard him only on a few records, his intro on Dameron´s If you could see me now on the great Sarah Vaughan album ist famous.

Joe Guy, Freddie Webster and Little Benny Harris, I think they were the unsung heroes of the early bebop days.....

Thanks for that David.

Fine trumpeter - big bright sound, wide vibrato - to my ears very much on the swing side of the swing-to-bop musicians - hard to hear any obvious influence on Miles, but if Miles says so ...

I presume that last track, the "Perdido" recorded in Cleveland, was a Tadd Dameron arrangement? Great program.

Q

according to the discography I linked to above, it was arranged by Willie "Face" Smith who also arranged and composed parts of Joe Lovano's 52nd Street Themes albums, see also here:

http://www.cleveland.com/obituaries/index.ssf/2009/12/willie_smith_played_composed_a.html

Whatever ... beautiful music. Thank you.

Q