Great Songs Buried In Obscure Albums

StarThrower

In God We Trust, from the Harper Brothers album "Artistry." I always liked it. I've always been bummed that the Harper Brothers couldn't continue, as their aspirations were to become like the Cannonball Aderly Quintet (around for many years), but I guess it wasn't to be -- a lost opportunity for mainstream jazz in my book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3TQa8dvqPc

'Killing Jar' on the other FFK&T album fits the bill too.

Thompson played it regularly on tour around that time.

You might also add 'The Nine Funerals of the Citizen King' on the first Henry Cow album (Frith connection).

I never did pick up the first Henry Cow album. I have the other ones. I get a kick out of March Of The Cosmetic Surgeons, and As The World Turns, on Invisible Means.

Here's a beautiful tune by Simon Dupree, later to become Gentle Giant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlnQL6_N6uQ

I'm not sure if it counts as obscure, but I really like the album Live by Oscar Peterson, his last Pablo record and featuring a great assist from Joe Pass. This may actually be one of my favorite records from either player (technically Peterson is the leader). The 3-part "Bach Suite" is mighty fine, but the true highlight is the closer: "If You Only Knew." What a beautiful melody, and Oscar's approach is subtle, his touch tender. For all those who believe that Oscar Peterson was all about technique and pounding the keys, you need to listen to this track.

I imagine 99% of my English/British folk albums would count as obscure here.

Nic Jones' 'The Noah's Ark Trap' is obscure for no other reason that it has never been allowed to appear on CD - the (recently deceased) chap with the rights has refused to part company with it. A shame as it's a superb LP and given the now legendary status of 'Penguin Eggs' would sell by the bucket load.

The crowning track on the album is a Scottish song called 'Annachie Gordon' - a real heart breaker that Jones pulls off with his usual vocal understatement, matched to that intricate percussive guitar style. The lyrics are like a pebble worn down the years to perfection. My favourite line links the first part revolving round the tragedy of Jeannie with the arrival of Annachie..."The day that Jeannie married was the day that Jeannie died was the day that young Annachie come a-rolling on the tide."

Widely recorded by others since...but the Nic Jones version is a pearl.

Not on YouTube that I can see - though there are lots of other people playing it. [Edit: Seems the whole album IS on Youtube - go to 38 mins - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUZo5r2m_d8]

Going to have to play the album now...

alb50228.jpg

Edited by A Lark Ascending