• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

interesting note from the DMG newsletter today

Notice to anyone who ordered the ORNETTE COLEMAN - New Vocabulary CD or LP
from us and hasn't received it. We will not be getting any more copies to
sell, very sorry about that. We have tried our best to get the label to
send us another box of CDs & LPs but can't convince them to do the right
thing. All back-orders are now canceled. - BLG/DMG

CD still listed as available here: http://systemdialingrecords.com/market/albums/new-vocabulary/

I like people who handle their business rather than the other way around.

LP is not listed, btw, so DMG's claim of being "unable to convince" them to send them more rings hollow, smells like bullshit, and remind me again, this is the place that openly sells self-produced CDRs of OOP items, correct?

OTOH - a VERY indie label controlling costs/staying alive, hi-quality DLs available until the cows DON'T come home, hard copies increasingly becoming niche-market, you had your chance to get an LP, looks like you still do a CD, DMG, poor pitiful DMG, I think not, I'm calling bullshit, don't bother reversing the charges, this one's on me.

If there's one thing you can ALWAYS count on, it's that sales loves to sell shit they don't yet have and then bullyscareshame production into delivering it - and THEN blame production when they have to back down even a little. If I had a dollar for every time I've seen that happen, I could retire, at least for a week or so.

Last month I cancelled ny back order from DMG. They sent a "bullying" email basically stating I was foolish for my action. Also hinted that they would burning CDR if they could not get another delivery.

Supply versus demand, but I think that I will pass.

LWayne

Edited by LWayne

Last month I cancelled ny back order from DMG. They sent a "bullying" email basically stating I was foolish for my action. Also hinted that they would burning CDR if they could not get another delivery.

LWayne

Wow, i was going to say in jest "aren't these the guys that do their own CDRs? If yes, where's the supply issue?" but didn't want to cast aspersions, especially as i couldn't remember if these were the guys. Dang.

LWayne

Wow, i was going to say in jest "aren't these the guys that do their own CDRs? If yes, where's the supply issue?" but didn't want to cast aspersions, especially as i couldn't remember if these were the guys. Dang.

Wow....... not a way for customer service. I ordered from them when the Tzadik version of "Tap" was released, I had no problems, but that really sucks

I got a cdr from them before. I'm sure it's difficult being an indie music store with a niche market. Every time I've asked if something was in stock for their site it never is. That's frustrating. Between that and another instance with them I've steered clear. I've also tried to be removed from the newsletter to no avail. They do give so nice info on new releases so I don't mind too much.

Although I don't order often and the location is a bit hard to get to and/or find parking, they have always been very good to me all the way back to their older locations.

As far as stock, there is no jazz or improvisation actual store that I know of on the East Coast that is in any way comparable to what they offer.

I have no knowledge of any of the above.

I'm trying to make a visit to the store next Tuesday (if I can escape work early) before going to The Stone that night.

Usual DMG crabbiness aside, I am glancing side-eyed at this "label". I don't mean to suggest that Ornette is not being properly compensated, as it seems he is, but everything else about this weirds me out. Seems like a whole lot of bullshit. Big city, venture capitalist, crypto-corporate faux-artisanal, internet-y bullshit.

From perusing their website & other catalog, and from my discussions with them regarding my order, it seems to me to be a basic musician-operated label. If their business model skews towards downloads over hard copies, well. maybe they're out in front in that regard, maybe not. Time will tell.

Wal-Mart treats their customers well too, btw.

Although I don't order often and the location is a bit hard to get to and/or find parking, they have always been very good to me all the way back to their older locations.

As far as stock, there is no jazz or improvisation actual store that I know of on the East Coast that is in any way comparable to what they offer.

SQUIDCO. Wilmington NC. I've been to both. SQUIDCO offers a very different experience.

CD still listed as available here: http://systemdialingrecords.com/market/albums/new-vocabulary/

I like people who handle their business rather than the other way around.

LP is not listed, btw, so DMG's claim of being "unable to convince" them to send them more rings hollow, smells like bullshit ...

Well, who knows. I'd have liked to buy the CD, but the label had it as sold out ... see above. Something weird there.

But fine album!