2014-15 college bowl games

Last night in the Poinsettia Bowl in San Diego, Navy beat San Diego State 17-16 with a late field goal.

http://www.wdsu.com/sports/navy-nips-san-diego-state-in-poinsettia-bowl/30381920

It so happens that Navy was my dad's alma mater, and San Diego State was my mom's alma mater!

I can't find any record that their football teams have met before.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spartans defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi was instrumental in their stunning comeback against Baylor yesterday when they won by one point, a fitting sendoff as he leaves to become Pitt head coach.

Today, he gets to watch as UH mounts an equally stunning comeback against Pitt, scoring 22 points in the final 3:41 to win by, yep, one point.

As a sidenote, Ohio State's offensive coordinator Tom Herman was just hired as UH's new head coach. He will remain with Ohio State until the end of their season, but has already begun working with UH as well. The UH AD's hiring of Herman is looking like quite a coup right about now.

Duck land is happy.

Finally about to get over the hump? I hope so, but we'll see... OSU looked very good yesterday, especially after trailing pretty big against a #1 team like that.

What a debacle for FSU. All those turnovers, losing by 39 points, the QB gets in a shouting match with the head coach, and more than half the team (3/4 ?) fails to come out and offer a handshake after the game.

What a debacle for FSU. All those turnovers, losing by 39 points, the QB gets in a shouting match with the head coach, and more than half the team (3/4 ?) fails to come out and offer a handshake after the game.

FSU shouldn't have been in the playoff mix, IMO. I kept hoping week after week they'd drop a game and we'd be done with them. Nope.

Winston's not in the same league as Mariota, as a football player or a leader. He'll too often look to make the selfish play so he can show off his arm rather than make the right play.

And as far as what's between the ears, Jimbo Fisher and the entire school cut that kid way too much slack. Nothing new in college football, I know. But they took it to a whole other level. (He's suspended for a half. No wait. The public's pissed. He's suspended for a whole game. No wait, here he is on the sideline in full gear ready to go -- cause he's, I dunno, all about himself?)

The SEC did take it on the chin this year. It's good for college football that other conferences have caught up. The Big 10 is underrated, turns out (partly because of Michigan). And the Pac 12 is looking like the best conference in the country now, top to bottom (or at least, top to middle of the pack).

Two big takeaways from this bowl season:

1) There have been more than a few really uncompetitive games. Flat out mismatches. Even some of the games where the final score looks fairly close weren't competitive. A product of too many damn bowl games maybe.

2) As alluded to above, somebody has to teach these kids how to tackle again. Lost art. Way too often you'd see a ballcarrier get hit -- maybe even in the backfield -- and he would bounce off one defender after another for 10, 15, 20, 50 yards or more, defensive players flopping all over the place and pawing at the ball. I saw very few good defenses this bowl season. Very few.

And as the old saying goes, defense wins championships. ... Advantage, Buckeyes?

FSU shouldn't have been in the playoff mix, IMO. I kept hoping week after week they'd drop a game and we'd be done with them. Nope.

I don't think this new system would have gotten off to the right start if somehow a 13-0 defending national champion were kept out of the mix. I agree they could have, should have lost somewhere along the way but when they didn't, they had to be in there.

And reality is that until FSU started taking steady aim at their own feet, this was anyone's game. They probably don't win unless the defense stepped up, but if I recall correctly, they were down 5 in the third quarter, with the ball, and were executing on offense. If they don't kill themselves with turnovers, I'd have laid even-ish odds that they pull out that game. Winston had done it all season long.

Dan, I know you're from Florida and were probably rooting for FSU, but that sounds like Winston's line after the game - "We beat ourselves". That doesn't take into consideration that Oregon's defense forced three of the turnovers - 2 fumbles were takeaways and the intercepted pass was tipped by an Oregon lineman. Plus, FSU's defense had a world of trouble stopping Oregon's offense.

Uh, I'm a graduate Paul so my interest is a little more than just parochial.

And I don't understand your assertions about some of the turnovers. Every turnover is a takeaway. You either protect the ball or you don't. It doesn't take some special effort by the defense. A ball carrier holds onto and protects it, or he fails.

FSU let it, the ball and the game, get away.

Finally, yes, the Oregon offense was moving the ball. But so was the Seminole offense. The difference at the moment that FSU started collapsing, was Oregon scoring TDs and FSU settling for FGs. And yet they were only down 5. If FSU's offense executed, it's anyone's game.

I don't know how anyone can rationally argue against that observation.

I don't understand your assertions about some of the turnovers. Every turnover is a takeaway. You either protect the ball or you don't. It doesn't take some special effort by the defense.

I don't see it quite the same way, Dan. Clearly, the ball should be protected on every play, but some turnovers are more a result of extra effort or clever plays by the defense, and some are just gaffes by the offense. This particular game had two somewhat unusual variations which might be placed at opposite ends of that spectrum (the "take-away" from behind by the Oregon defender at the end of a run; and Winston's unfortunate give-away). Neither of those occurs anywhere near as often as the type where a ball-carrier gets it jarred loose by an arm or a helmet or whatever.

At any rate, I agree that this could have been a pretty close game if not for all the TO's.

I think the only reason FSU made it to the playoffs was their undefeated status, and the fact they were defending national champs. Certainly not their play.

If you look at their performances all season long, they struggled against a very soft schedule for the most part. They were very lucky to be undefeated at the end of the regular season. Not dominant at all.

I think any of the other three teams in the playoffs would have dominated them just like Oregon did.

Winston's not in the same league as Mariota, as a football player or a leader. He'll too often look to make the selfish play so he can show off his arm rather than make the right play.

And as far as what's between the ears, Jimbo Fisher and the entire school cut that kid way too much slack. Nothing new in college football, I know. But they took it to a whole other level. (He's suspended for a half. No wait. The public's pissed. He's suspended for a whole game. No wait, here he is on the sideline in full gear ready to go -- cause he's, I dunno, all about himself?)

The SEC did take it on the chin this year. It's good for college football that other conferences have caught up. The Big 10 is underrated, turns out (partly because of Michigan). And the Pac 12 is looking like the best conference in the country now, top to bottom (or at least, top to middle of the pack).

Two big takeaways from this bowl season:

1) There have been more than a few really uncompetitive games. Flat out mismatches. Even some of the games where the final score looks fairly close weren't competitive. A product of too many damn bowl games maybe.

2) As alluded to above, somebody has to teach these kids how to tackle again. Lost art. Way too often you'd see a ballcarrier get hit -- maybe even in the backfield -- and he would bounce off one defender after another for 10, 15, 20, 50 yards or more, defensive players flopping all over the place and pawing at the ball. I saw very few good defenses this bowl season. Very few.

And as the old saying goes, defense wins championships. ... Advantage, Buckeyes?

Winston did not lose that game for FSU. I thought he was leading his team to a comeback from being only 5 points down at the start of the 2nd half when Cook, his running back, fumbled the ball leading to an Oregon touchdown. Then the same running back committed another turnover enabling a second touchdown for Oregon. FSU went from a 5 point deficit to a 19 point deficit. And that was as they say "the ol' ball game."

I thought Winston was brilliant but his team let him down. I know I'm in the minority here but I think Winston doesn't get the credit he deserves because of his off-field mistakes. But as a former football player, as I'm sure a lot of you are, I say that dude can flat out play! You don't win the Heisman trophy as a freshman, win 29 straight games in NCAA football, even if you are playing so called weak teams, (after all, they're all division 1 teams). Also, you don't rally your team from behind in several late game comebacks, by being lucky. He's a leader and a winner. I've never seen anyone like him. You may never see another one like him. I watched him on the sideline trying to rally his team, even when they were hopelessly out of the game. Keep in mind, after the game he stayed on the field to congratulate Oregon on their victory.

The guy is also an All-American baseball player who pitches, plays the outfield and is a switch hit batter. He's a great athlete. Like him or not, I don't think anyone in the history of college football has accomplished what he has done. Tell me one other player who has matched his football accomplishments......

I'll wait.....

<script src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/1643ade1/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js" type="text/javascript"> </script>

My issue with FSU -- putting aside their up and down play all year, which left them highly suspect -- is basically that not just Winston, but the whole program embodies and promotes even crafts the kind of self-centered, immature athlete so typical today.

This athlete is not just all too common in major college athletics but in sports in general. Elite athletes today are coddled and given a pass for their behavior from a very young age. They are surrounded by enablers, not teachers and mentors.

Fisher, while his intentions may have been good, the result speaks for itself and you're left with a cry baby QB yelling at you on the sideline when things aren't going his way. And Winston's not alone. Hardly. Look at the Ohio State QB, who tweeted something to the effect of "why should we even have to go to class? It's a waste of time."

I frankly get more enjoyment out of something like the Army - Navy game, where you know these "men" are for real, than I do high-level college football, where the athletes are all too often all about themselves. Heck, we don't even expect them to finish college anymore.

If Winston would have pitched the ball on that fourth down play right before the half (I think), it was a touchdown. The running back was wide open and likely would have trotted into the end zone. But he didn't pitch the ball. Why not? I'll let you figure that one out.

Edited by papsrus

My issue with FSU -- putting aside their up and down play all year, which left them highly suspect -- is basically that not just Winston, but the whole program embodies and promotes even crafts the kind of self-centered, immature athlete so typical today.

This athlete is not just all too common in major college athletics but in sports in general. Elite athletes today are coddled and given a pass for their behavior from a very young age. They are surrounded by enablers, not teachers and mentors.

Fisher, while his intentions may have been good, the result speaks for itself and you're left with a cry baby QB yelling at you on the sideline when things aren't going his way. And Winston's not alone. Hardly. Look at the Ohio State QB, who tweeted something to the effect of "why should we even have to go to class? It's a waste of time."

I frankly get more enjoyment out of something like the Army - Navy game, where you know these "men" are for real, than I do high-level college football, where the athletes are all too often all about themselves. Heck, we don't even expect them to finish college anymore.

If Winston would have pitched the ball on that fourth down play right before the half (I think), it was a touchdown. The running back was wide open and likely would have trotted into the end zone. But he didn't pitch the ball. Why not? I'll let you figure that one out.

Stick to your Army and Navy games, my friend. After watching Army/Navy play to a 3-3 tie in 1981, I vowed never to watch another of their inept games.

I should say, this hasn't always been the case at FSU -- seek Derrick Brooks, Warrick Dunn, etc. And I'm sure there are plenty of fine fellows on the team. But I really think that program should have, or could have, taken a more responsible stand with Winston. Any other student would have been kicked out of school for some of the shit he pulled (and not just talking about the alleged assault).

Remember that kid who ran out on the field during an Ohio State game and was body slammed by the strength coach? Kicked out of school within days.

Yeah, and it has been kind of a one-sided deal lately, with Navy ripping off something like 7 straight, there's still something about it.

Likewise Ivy League games. Student athletes. Not athletes that are stopping off at a big time college to burnish their skills for the pros.

Anyways, probably being too harsh on old FSU. Miami, after all, was a far worse offender back in the day.

But the whole trend of elevating these kids for their prowess on the football field above all else (like getting an education, for instance) just sours me a little. (Plus nobody tackles anymore. There's that, too).

They now have high school bowl games here in Florida where they invite state champions from other states to come and play our big time high school programs.

It's all a bit much. I wouldn't pay attention, but I kind of have to for my job. Maybe that's part of it, too. I'm just burning out on football period.

Pitchers and catchers report in, what, about a month?