File format

Hardbopjazz

I recently copied all my music on to external hard drives. To save space I want to convert the files to a format that doesn't compress the music, so I won't use MP3 as the format. I can convert to FLAC or Apple's MP4. Either will net me about 50% of the original size. My issue with flac, I can play the files in Windows' Media Player, but only one track at a time. MP4 works in both iTunes and Media Player. Plus, I can queue up more than one track at a time.

Are there any formats that any of you are using that don't diminish the sound like MP3? I have 24 TBs nearly filled and I need to make room still so I don't want to leave the files as WAV.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

You can stick with MP4 & iTunes (which you seem to be suggesting ain't broke, so...you know) or you can create playlists for your FLAC files in WMP http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-change-media-player-regular-playlist#1TC=windows-7 If you use other media players, I'm sure there are playlists options in them too.

Ultimately, I'd say it comes down to which player you enjoy the most.

How committed are you to Windows Media Player? There are other arguably superior programs that will queue up multiple FLAC files in a playlist. I like foobar2000 - it's very flexible and configurable, and it has a devoted following.

I'm not. Since it is loaded with the OS I have been using it. I will take a look at foobar2000.

You can stick with MP4 & iTunes (which you seem to be suggesting ain't broke, so...you know) or you can create playlists for your FLAC files in WMP http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-change-media-player-regular-playlist#1TC=windows-7 If you use other media players, I'm sure there are playlists options in them too.

Ultimately, I'd say it comes down to which player you enjoy the most.

I've tried this, but the play list don't work with flac files. Only the first file plays.

What codec are you using for the mp4 files? It encodes in both AAC and ALAC. If you want full lossless audio, you need to make sure you're encoding with ALAC.

I personally cannot hear the difference, but for archival purposes I'd be lying if I said that I don't use lossless.

I am using Switch Sound Convert Plus and selecting (ALAC) and 16 bit and sample rate of 44100 from the list of various formats. It has 29 different formats. Some I've never heard of before

At one time there was Winamp, but that product is now defunct.

• 4 years later...
On 12/24/2014 at 11:21 PM, Hardbopjazz said:

I recently copied all my music on to external hard drives. To save space I want to convert the files to a format that doesn't compress the music, so I won't use MP3 as the format. I can convert to FLAC or Apple's MP4. Either will net me about 50% of the original size. My issue with flac, I can play the files in Windows' Media Player, but only one track at a time. MP4 works in both iTunes and Media Player. Plus, I can queue up more than one track at a time.

Are there any formats that any of you are using that don't diminish the sound like MP3? I have 24 TBs nearly filled and I need to make room still so I don't want to leave the files as WAV.

I know this is an old thread but it only makes your post all the more impressive.  24TBs!!! That's a LOT of music even if not compressed.  Do you know how long it would take you to listen to each tune just one more time?  

49 minutes ago, Coda said:

I know this is an old thread but it only makes your post all the more impressive.  24TBs!!! That's a LOT of music even if not compressed.  Do you know how long it would take you to listen to each tune just one more time?  

A long time.  I haven’t listen to it all.  When I retire I will make it a  priority.  

I think it's odd that this "mp3 is bad" thing continues on & on despite the science that shows that this cannot be used a blanket statement. I now encode my mp3 files with VBR Q0 (used to use Q2). This is the highest quality variable bit rate mp3 and as they say in the write-ups, 99.9% of the people can't hear a difference between this and the CD that was used to create it. I am not one of the .1% and I expect that as the years go on, I will continue to find less & less to complain about when it comes to audio. :) :)

Has anyone encountered with the extension <.ape>?  I've googled it and it appears to be a lossless format similar to flac but with minimal "platform" support.

I received a file in this format and am looking to convert it to wav.  There is an encoder/decoder at www.monkeysaudio.com but I have no experience with the format or the software and am wary about downloading the app.

Anyone have experience with this?

I had to download the foobar ape codec. But it was all in-house w/foobar.

7-ZIP, now that's another story...had to get that one for one - ONE - blog. It was worth it, but geez, who thinks shit like that is a good idea, unless they're trying to scare away casual traffic (which is actually a more than good enough reason, come to think of it).

• 3 weeks later...

Although I have access to all audio formats, plus all the various players (VLC etc.), I have found that 320 mp3 sounds fine. Yes, my hearing is not what it used to be, but I can still hear the difference between an early McMaster track and its Japanese counterpart.

I have used 320 mp3 for (live) house DJing without any problem.

Windows Media player is a Mickey Mouse program, O.K. when it deigns to work. VLC is excellent and very versatile. Winamp was discontinued a few years ago, but still works fine. I always use it for ripping, and it offers both 320 mp3 and WAV formats. For recording from the computer audio mixer, a program called MP3MYMP3 is great, and (in spite of its name) it offers WAV.

• 10 months later...
On 7/19/2019 at 2:30 PM, bresna said:

I think it's odd that this "mp3 is bad" thing continues on & on despite the science that shows that this cannot be used a blanket statement. I now encode my mp3 files with VBR Q0 (used to use Q2). This is the highest quality variable bit rate mp3 and as they say in the write-ups, 99.9% of the people can't hear a difference between this and the CD that was used to create it. I am not one of the .1% and I expect that as the years go on, I will continue to find less & less to complain about when it comes to audio. :) :)

I have done ABX tests many times. I cannot tell the difference between FLACs and high-bitrate mp3 and aac.  I can't even reliably tell the difference between FLAC and medium bitrate aac.

So, I listen to mp3 and aac almost all the time.