Blue Note fade-out

Milestones

I always enjoyed turning up the volume as the fade continues to try and hear every last second of what's going on, especially if cats are improvising or embellishing rather than just repeating the vamp.

The fade on "De Pois do Amor O Vazio" from Odyssey of Iska is one that's always been interesting to me. The percussion starts to swell in particular, bass would seem to drop out, and somebody actually yells. Always struck me in a weird way. The fade on "JuJu" is also one I've listened to many times with interest.

I've frequently wondered — what actually happened in the studio? The music itself of course wasn't fading. Did the leader on the date just say, "OK guys, um, we can stop now."

Did anyone ever break into a Sousa march to stop the proceedings? We'll never know.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's a more contemporary fadeout from Mike LeDonne's first record. This is the entire track, which appears last on the CD and functions as a coda, fading in and then fading out. Conjuring up the ghost the Wynton Kelly Trio is really what this is about, a brief nightcap and toast to LeDonne's heroes. The whole record is excellent. In the idiom, sure, but very fresh and creative and and they really strike a groove. When it feels this good, you can play anyway you want. It self-justifies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk_sxcGG6_Y