Nessa SPAM

Chuck Nessa

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No problems with my copy either - finally made it through, listening to multiple segments over about a week in the car. Outstanding stuff, with a really nice "you're in the studio" atmosphere and overall feeling of good cheer.

With this and my slightly earlier purchse of APOGEE, I continue to thoroughly enjoy gradually discovering this musician who on my first 10 years of serious jazz listening I managed to largely overlook. Fun to wade ever more deeply into Marshville.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

CHUCK NESSA.

I've told yesterday to Braxton that you try to contact him about the WARNE MARSH CD.

I post this here because I can't find the BRAXTON thread.

The concert was great (he plays, as an encore, EVIDENCE) but BRAXTON is in bad physical shape.

He was oblige to interrupt his Vienna's concert the previous day as he feels sick on stage.

He was dead tired after this one (where he plays generously around 1h20.)

So, I just spoke with him less than a minute.

I'm not sure he will remember what I've said.

I'm really worried about his health, as I've never seen him before in such bad condition.

Edited by P.L.M

CHUCK NESSA.

I've told yesterday to Braxton that you try to contact him about the WARNE MARSH CD.

The concert was great (he plays, as an encore, EVIDENCE) but BRAXTON is in bad physical shape.

He was oblige to interrupt his Vienna's concert the previous day as he feels sick on stage.

I'm really worried about his health, as I've never seen him before in such bad condition.

That explains the long break between sets (I attended the Vienna concert). Admirable that he even played a second set under these circumstances. I didn't notice a weakness in his playing, it was a beautiful concert.

CHUCK NESSA.

Hopefully, these were just a couple of bad days. Braxton was in good spirit and fine condition about a month ago when I saw him in Geneva. Was telling me that he's got quite a few projects in the pipeline, including a DVD release.

Well, I got some explanation about what happened to BRAXTON in Vienna and why he was in such condition in Leut (Belgium.)

When He arrived in Vienna he had toothache who turn in somekind of dental abcess during the concert who forbid him to sleep most of that night.

When he arrives in Brussels, his manager here in Europe (Rob Leurentop) takes him to a dentist who have solve the problem.

But, when he gave his concert (who was excellent), he still feels the pain and he was under medicament and had very little hours of sleep from the last 48 hours.

That's the reason he was so tired after the concert.

But everybody who knows BRAXTON, knows also that he has never care much about his health (eating bad food and that kind of thing) and got some big hart problems, like ten years ago.

So, to see him in such bad condition with, on the moment, no explanation why was quite disturbing.

While readying to pull the trigger on "All Music", I was googling around and found this tidbit from a Steely Dan Fan page:

During the recording sessions for Gaucho, Donald and Walter were preparing to leave New York for Bayshore Studios in Miami when at the last minute the prospect of a late-winter avalanche of college kids deterred them, so they stayed in Manhattan. But their publicist, Katie Valk, went anyway and wound up making front page news.

A former lifeguard, Valk pulled a man from a Cadillac Seville which had plunged into a creek and revived him. "Bystanders rescue five from car in Indian Creek," the Miami News headline read. When she returned to New York, Becker sent a limo to the airport to pick her up and then feasted with her on a box of stone crabs she had brought back. Valk's comments on the whole episode? "Everybody knows press agents use their mouths more than their heads anyway."

"Donald and Walter? Yeah, they've been down to hear us this week. They offered to record the band, mainly to have a record of it, if only for themselves." So said Warne Marsh in 1980 after some dates at New York's Village Vanguard. And Fagen and Becker, who rarely appear in public, weren't the only wones who crawled out of the woodwork to catch him. A few months later, Fagen and Becker asked New York Times journalist Robert Palmer to write the sleeve notes for Apogee, the album they had produced for Marsh and Pete Christlieb. When Donald Fagen visited Palmer's apartment and scoured through his 10,000 album collection, he pulled out the only disc he wanted to hear: a particular Becker and Fagen favorite, Warne Marsh's 'All Music' on the Nessa label.

Neighbors/Everybody needs good neighbors/Full of love and understanding...

Tell that to Mitch Miller, famous for his sing-alongs and one of the world's best-selling recording artists in the 1950s, who does not think much of contemporary music. "Most of it is very bad. This guy from Steely Dan -- Walter Becker? He lives in my apartment building in New York. He plays the same licks all night long. I feel like calling the cops on him. To get into rock, you don't have to be a very good musician."

:tup

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm