Nessa SPAM

Chuck Nessa

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listening again, I wonder whether anyone out there agrees that Warne's solo on "317 E. 32nd" is essentially one long line, a single, unbroken evolving thought. If so, it may be, at two choruses, the longest (or one of the longest) such sustained episode in recorded jazz or in any comparable improvised music, period. Bach no doubt could have done it in real time too, so could Usted Ali Akhbar Khan (if comparable).

• 2 weeks later...

Got mine on Saturday, Chuck.

Haven't made it to the last track yet but will let you know.

Only listening I've been able to get in has been in the car to and from work. But really enjoying ALL MUSIC so far, an all expenses paid trip to the wonderful off-kilter world of Warne.

And Levy was having some good days too, wasn't he?

Edited by DrJ

Sorry to bring this thread back but I have now had 2 complaints about the last track "not tracking". If you have this problem, let me know now.

My CD player recently broke down and I blamed all CD anomalies I heard on the player. It looks like I'll be without music for quite some time, so I won't be able to check.

My copy skips at 2:28. Most often, it "jumps" back a few seconds, but sometimes it will go all the way back to 1:24.

Incidentally, I also had excessive "jitter" errors on that track when I tried to MP3 encode this disc for my portable player. On the MP3-encoded track, the problems also start at 2:28.

Here is what I know.

Last week I exchanged a cd for a customer. That disc has a visible flaw (probably a bubble) at the outer edge. It mistracks on my machines.

Yesterday someone else contacted me about tracking problems on the final track and I sent a replacement. I should have the "defective" copy back in a couple of days to check.

Since then I have pulled 10 discs, at random, from my stock and played the final track on 4 different machines - my regular player, my Sony portable, my computer and the player in my wife's car. None of the 10 discs gave me a problem on any of the machines.

At his point I don't know what to think. I may know more when the disc in transit reaches me.

Hans and Skid, do your discs have visible flaws near the edge?

Hans and Skid, do your discs have visible flaws near the edge?

My copy with the unplayable track 14 has a tiny, hardly visible bubble near the edge, the other copy I bought from you hasn't and plays fine - at least in my CDRom drive.

Edited by J.A.W.