new wes montgomery?

hgweber

at the time, resonance said that will release the montgomery/johnson 2cd at the end of 2014.

i too am curious about the other wes that was mentioned in that thread. the author couldn't/wouldn't give details at the time. i hope that it's live material from 1966-68. or issued studio material from 1964-68, but without the overdubbed strings/orchestras.

thank you guys! so probably april for the resonance release. did anyone get the vinyls last year?

I picked up the 1955 studio album a few months after Record Store Day, when I spotted it in an Atlanta record store. It's good, not earth-shattering. I'm guessing from the liner notes and the length of the tunes (each less than four minutes) that these were intended as singles, and I'm further guessing that they weren't released at the time because they were not deemed commercial enough. But that's just my speculation. The track just given the title "Blues" alternates between a Latin/R & B beat and swing - think Ray Charles' "Mary Ann." The tunes are too short for anyone to stretch out much, but Wes is (not surprisingly) the standout soloist, even if his playing is not at the level it was by the early 1960s. I particularly liked his solo on "Far Wes" - not flashy, but very well constructed. The sound is good, although at times the balance is less than perfect - I could have used more guitar sometimes.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Wes Montgomery 
In Paris: The Definitive ORTF Recording

First official release of Wes Montgomery's one and only concert in Paris, France 
on March 27, 1965 at the Théâtre des Champs-Élysées

Second Resonance release in partnership with France's National Audio-visual Institute (INA) 
with remastered high-resolution audio transferred directly from the original tapes

Deluxe limited-edition, 180-gram 2LP gatefold set released exclusively for 
Record Store Day's Black Friday Event on November 24, 2017 
Deluxe 2CD & Digital Edition available January 26, 2018

Wes Montgomery In Paris

Los Angeles, CA [November 2017] - Resonance Records is proud to announce the first official release of Wes Montgomery - In Paris: The Definitive ORTF Recording which captures the jazz guitar legend in concert during his only tour of Europe on the night of March 27, 1965 at the Théâtre des Champs-Élysées in Paris, France. Considered perhaps the greatest live Wes Montgomery performance ever, In Paris is being released in partnership with the  Institut national de l'audiovisuel (INA) with remastered high-resolution audio transferred directly from the original tapes, and will mark the first time the Montgomery Estate will be paid for this recording, which has been available as various bootlegs since the 1970s. This is also Resonance's second album released in partnership with INA in a series of ORTF recordings, following 2016's critically acclaimed Larry Young - In Paris: The ORTF Recordings.

In Paris: The Definitive ORTF Recording will be released as a limited-edition, hand-numbered (of 3,000) 180-gram 2LP gatefold set exclusively for  Record Store Day's Black Friday Event on November 24, 2017. Mastered by LP mastering icon Bernie Grundman and pressed by Record Technology Inc. (RTI). The album features an all-star band with venerable post-bop pianist Harold Mabern, bassistArthur Harper and bebop drummerJimmy Lovelace, along with special guest tenor saxophonist  Johnny Griffin (who played on another classic live Wes recording from 1962, Full House).

The beautifully designed CD package by longtime Resonance designer  Burton Yount includes an extensive 32-page booklet with stunning archival photos from the actual concert by famed French music photographer Jean-Pierre Leloir; essays from Wes Montgomery scholar and director of jazz studies at Rutgers University in New Jersey, Vincent Pelote, the Chargé de Mission  Pascal Rozat from INAand Resonance producer Zev Feldman; plus interviews with pianistHarold Mabern and contemporary jazz guitar icon  Russell Malone. The deluxe LP edition also includes a collector set of 6 Jean-Pierre Leloir postcards.