Alois Haba

MomsMobley

When I was dating my wife, she visited me one afternoon at the small apartment I was renting at the time. As she walked up, I was playing a recording of Haba's trombone quartet, replete with quarter tones. It was pretty loud, and I had the windows open. She was horrified.

Now everying I play sounds "normal" to her.

if JSngry sees this, have you stumbled into Haba yet in the course of your Janacek studies?

Not yet, but will, thanks.

BTW - there are no "studies" going on. More like road trips with no maps, itineraries, or planned destinations. Hell, not even cars sometimes, just pull the motherfucker over, get out, and walk for a while.

i actually pondered what word to use; 'excursions' seemed too flip, but yes, 'studies' too formal...

here's the Haba Quartet-- they who have recorded their namesake's cycle for Neos-- btw, in Smetana--

-- which they have recorded, along with Janacek 2--

http://www.habaquartet.com/en/media/cds-en

music starts at 2:00 but for us kolach lovers, Haba speaking is likewise compelling--

Edited by MomsMobley

• 3 years later...

Just got e-mail from Berkshire touting Haba's complete string quartets (plus some other pieces) recorded by the Stamitz Quartet on Bayer.

Any opinions on Haba's quartets? I'm favorably disposed to microtonal music, so might like these.

[Added] Have been listening on Youtube and greatly enjoy what I've heard. Budget tight right now, so will revisit after the holidays.

Edited by T.D.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/4/2018 at 0:58 PM, T.D. said:

Just got e-mail from Berkshire touting Haba's complete string quartets (plus some other pieces) recorded by the Stamitz Quartet on Bayer.

Any opinions on Haba's quartets? I'm favorably disposed to microtonal music, so might like these.

[Added] Have been listening on Youtube and greatly enjoy what I've heard. Budget tight right now, so will revisit after the holidays.

I picked this up from Berkshire (thanks for calling it out!). Started playing it this afternoon. Very much enjoying it, although it's not something that is going to benefit from the "one and done" plan I had for it. There's a lot there. And also, I don't think it benefits from an "all at once" listening attempt either. Smaller does, instead, not because it wears down, but because there a lot to digest at any one time.

And it's not all microtonal, it applied microtonality, only when it's "integral to the story" as they say.

Cool. I put the set in my Berkshire cart for future purchase, but it went out of stock. Really enjoyed the clips I sampled.

There's a newer set (mentioned above) performed by the Haba Quartet, but I may instead try Ben Johnston's quartet cycle, 3 fairly recent CDs by the Kepler Quartet on New World. Johnston's quartets are (as I understand it) in "just intonation" and more "integrally" microtonal. I've heard a reasonable amount of Johnston's music, but only one quartet so far.