Freddie Hubbard solo on Lost Dreams (liquid love 1975)

l p

Yup, first two names I thought of too - Eddie Henderson (his first two leader-dates on Capricorn are fantastic, and collected on one CD), and Hino.

Would love to know if anyone else was playing quite like this specifically in the 70's (I realize there have been others more recently, in the last 20-25 years).

thanks. i've been checking out Terumasa Hino on youtube today, including the tune linked above, and i'm stunned at how well he plays. and so effortlessly.

the other 2 stretched out tunes on youtube that i like are

Terumasa Hino Be And Know (1973)

This Planet Is Ours - Terumasa Hino 5 Live at Pit Inn (1977)

this type of music is what i'm looking for in mid tempo, and still going through trying to find fast tempo tunes that i'd like by him.

will check out henderson, and the other suggestions next.

>>>Would love to know if anyone else was playing quite like this specifically in the 70's (I realize there have been others more recently, in the last 20-25 years).

>>>

well, miles 1971-75 concerts have this kind of stuff all over the place, especially 1975.

check out his solo on 'it's about that time' from this concert

http://www.concertvault.com/miles-davis/fillmore-west-may-07-1971.html

btw,

there is a live version of Hubbard Lost Dreams at

http://www.concertvault.com/freddie-hubbard-quintet/carnegie-hall-july-01-1975.html

and it's wild.

Edited by l p

if want to hear the miles 'it's about that time' solo, and don't do wolfgang's, it can also be heard at sugarmegs (google it).

do a search for Miles Davis, and the show is listed there as

MilesDavis1971-05-06_09FillmoreWest.asx

'it's about that time' starts at 26minutes, and the solo in question starts at 38minutes.

Edited by l p

Freddie solos with a wah wah on "Gleam"

on the tune "Kuntu" and "Too High"? that's not a wah wah. it's some kind of an electronic device/delay.

Yeah, those tunes

here's an example of trumpet with wah wah. miles starts at 4minutes into the video, and the wah wah can be seen at 5:20.

are there other trumpeters who used the wah wah? i seem to recall there was at least one other person besides miles, but don't remember who it was.

Come to think of it (and just to name names), if you go back through early 70s Randy Brecker, I think you can find some wah-wah. I know you can find electronics. Definitely in the Brecker Brothers, but before that.

Ok, I see Randy Brecker has already been mentioned. Never mind.

(Not to derail the thread, but ... ) Man, I hope the Davis Bootleg Series eventually gets up to 1973. With Cedric Lawson and Badal Roy in the band (and just one guitar) ... a different sound! Below are two quotes pertinent to the YouTube clip that LP posted above.

From Pete Losin's site:

Davis broke both legs in an automobile accident on October 19, 1972 (NYT report). This kept him off the road until these Village Gate appearances in mid-January, but there were several studio sessions in November-December. This concert excerpt was issued in Teppei Inokuchi's film, Prince of Darkness (1974). Despite Davis's immobility, the group continued its live bookings: Village East, New York (January 12-13); Toronto (January 24); Michigan State University Auditorium, East Lansing (January 26); and Guthrie Theater, Minneapolis (January 28). There were also apparently a number of Columbia studio sessions during February, but none of the music from these sessions has surfaced. Davis was arrested on February 23 on weapons charges.

And from Dave Liebman's site:

So on Friday night, Jan 12, 1973 I got on the bandstand with Miles Davis at the Fillmore East, all plugged in (my horns — tenor, soprano and flute were all drilled to accommodate microphone pickups that day for amplification), not knowing anyone in the band except tablaist Badal Roy who was with me was on the “My Goals Beyond” recording with John McLaughlin in 1972 and drummer Al Foster from jam sessions in my loft. That I had no idea what I played or what was happening on the bandstand that night would be an understatement. The energy, volume and sheer textural density was overwhelming. After the gig I returned to the Vanguard in time for the remainder of [Elvin Jones'] first set. It felt like I had gone from the future back in time; from the 21st to the 20th century on the most significant night of my professional life. I was to become part of history playing in the same position as Coltrane, Bird, Wayne Shorter and others alongside the most important musician of the past decades whose sidemen by and large became significant forces on their own. That was the “baggage” which was undeniably part and parcel of being in the saxophone chair with Miles Davis.

(Not to derail the thread, but ... ) Man, I hope the Davis Bootleg Series eventually gets up to 1973. With Cedric Lawson and Badal Roy in the band (and just one guitar) ... a different sound! Below are two quotes pertinent to the YouTube clip that LP posted above.

Technically, two guitars--Balakrishna at this point was playing one of those electric sitar guitar things, probably a Coral. Would love to hear more from that band too.

What they accused Miles of in this period ... I don't hear it at all in his work ...

Same. 70s Miles has been my favorite Miles for a while now, and I'm still trying to get my mind around it. It seems/feels like there's still a lot of catching up (listening-wise) to do. I wonder, fifty years from now, how this period of his music will be viewed.

What they accused Miles of in this period ... I don't hear it at all in his work ...

Same. 70s Miles has been my favorite Miles for a while now, and I'm still trying to get my mind around it. It seems/feels like there's still a lot of catching up (listening-wise) to do. I wonder, fifty years from now, how this period of his music will be viewed.

Time will tell, but to me I guess that all depends on what happens between now and then and I wouldn't even hazard a guess there.

I wonder, fifty years from now, how this period of his music will be viewed.

Time will tell ... [ ]

Agreed. I have a feeling it will feel less revolutionary, but no less musical — somewhat like how Ornette's 50's work is viewed (heard) now. Beautiful work, and the public's ears finally caught up.

i've been checking out the recommendations in this thread.

TERUMASA HINO- INTO THE HEAVEN 1970
Terumasa Hino Be And Know (1973)
This Planet Is Ours - Terumasa Hino 5 Live at Pit Inn 1977
the above 3 are all fantastic, but i've not found anything else on youtube by him that was nearly as good as these.
Eddie Henderson - after the first 2 tunes on his first album, the rest of his 70's output is really bad music. it's hard to even focus on the trumpet playing.
Donald Byrd "Ethiopian Nights" and a bit of "Kofi" are very good, but again, the rest of his 70's output is hard to listen to.
i really liked parts of Cannonball's "Black Messiah". i can now see why this album is mentioned so often.

It's been a while since I've listened to them, but my recollection is the other live recordings of the post-OTC / fall 1972 band are better than In Concert.

I wonder, fifty years from now, how this period of his music will be viewed.

Time will tell ... [ ]

Agreed. I have a feeling it will feel less revolutionary, but no less musical — somewhat like how Ornette's 50's work is viewed (heard) now. Beautiful work, and the public's ears finally caught up.

Yeah, it probably will be more apparent as time goes by that 'Miles was still Miles' and that there are other elements of contiuality as well...

I remember a lot of angsty-ness aout Michael Henderson at the time, along the lines of Miles his devolved from Paul Chamber to to Michael Henderson, yuck. Michael Henderson couldn't walk a line to save his life, which I always thought was missing the point that it was as likely equally true that Michael Henderson having to walk a line to save his life was as it was unlikely to be true for him as it had been undeniably true for Paul Chambers.

Life is lived in real time, so whatever is needed to save it will be a real time response.