British Jazz Festivals 2015

Lean years since the recession bit - Appleby gone, Cheltenham leaning over-much to its populist side, Bath just a fragment of what it once was. New festivals aiming straight down the middle-ground.

Please alert to anything interesting kicking off.

Cheltenham promises the Sun Ra Arkestra (Marshall Allen led).

We could really do with a more left-field festival outside of London, where most of the interesting stuff happens.

The folk music world has adapted far more creatively.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

From my perspective, Cheltenham looks a bit more interesting this year with the Arkestra/Allen appearance, among other things.

Sad that Bath is now rapidly turning into a 'jazz free zone', with the CD store also gone. I guess it is Pump Room quartets and operattas in the Roman Baths from now on.. :(

The best jazz line up in this neck of the woods this year looks to be the schedule of concerts coming up at Turner Sims, Southampton.

Edited by sidewinder

There always seem to be a fair number of, for want of a better term, 'mainstream' festivals going on (often in Butlins!) - veteran (and younger) musicians playing music in the early/Swing/Bop styles. Suspect they have an established and loyal audience (that was the main focus at Appleby) and a dedicated and well-networked group of musicians and organisers.

I might have imagined the Butlins bit - I know they do folk and 'classic' rock megabills.

I suppose this is is the one to replace Appleby:

http://www.naturistfoundation.org/jazz_festival/

I wonder if you are allowed to wear your beret?

There are a lot of festivals listed:

http://jazzfests.net/countries/?country=uk

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Has anyone noticed that Anthony Braxton is playing at The Colston Hall in Bristol next Tuesday? Apparently it's his only UK date and his first gig in ten years. I wonder how this came about?

PS if it didn't clash with my trip to London to see Harold Mabern at Ronnie's, I'd be tempted..........

Edited by Head Man

Thanks for the info about the Braxton appearance - didn't know about it. Tuesday night would be difficult though. I remember seeing him at either RFH or Barbican with Ornette about 10 years ago so presumably that was his last previous UK appearance?

PS if it didn't clash with my trip to London to see Harold Mabern at Ronnie's, I'd be tempted..........

It's years since I've seen Harold Mabern live. Every time - he delivers. Should be great !

Edited by sidewinder

with a fair wind I'll be at the Colston Hall.

I saw that one with Taylor, Parker and Oxley. I think the 10 years is since his quartet played RFH (released on Leo) opening for Cecil Taylor, Bill Dixon and Tony Oxley or did they come on after that trio - the memory fails

I'm with Alex on this. Braxton Quartet on a double bill with Taylor Oxley, Dixon in 2004. The Braxton is the Leo release.

In 2007 Braxton played with Taylor, Oxley and William Parker as a quartet. Can't remember if there was a support more a case of duos building up to the full Quartet

I was at both - I know that much!

I'm with Alex on this. Braxton Quartet on a double bill with Taylor Oxley, Dixon in 2004. The Braxton is the Leo release.

In 2007 Braxton played with Taylor, Oxley and William Parker as a quartet. Can't remember if there was a support more a case of duos building up to the full Quartet

That's the one I was thinking of. They started off that performance as a trio and Braxton came on as a guest for one or two of the numbers. I remember him almost blowing the roof off with that contra bass sax on one of his solos, spurred on by Oxley. Edited by sidewinder

That's the one I was thinking of. They started off that performance as a trio and Braxton came on as a guest for one or two of the numbers. I remember him almost blowing the roof off with that contra bass sax on one of his solos, spurred on by Oxley.

the roof and my head I think. Wasn't that to celebrate the reopening after the RFH refurb?

That's the one I was thinking of. They started off that performance as a trio and Braxton came on as a guest for one or two of the numbers. I remember him almost blowing the roof off with that contra bass sax on one of his solos, spurred on by Oxley.

the roof and my head I think. Wasn't that to celebrate the reopening after the RFH refurb? Yes, I think you are right.

Edited by sidewinder

Thanks for the info about the Braxton appearance - didn't know about it. Tuesday night would be difficult though. I remember seeing him at either RFH or Barbican with Ornette about 10 years ago so presumably that was his last previous UK appearance?

It's years since I've seen Harold Mabern live. Every time - he delivers. Should be great !

I saw Mabern two weeks ago with George Coleman, Eric Alexander, Bob Cranshaw and George Coleman Jr. Mabern was great.