Suggestions sought: popcorn and popcorn oil

I strongly recommend Orville Reddenbacher--the real stuff. I've had my share of microwave popcorn, but I've heard some stories about chemicals and such. I started making popcorn in a a pot, and I'm firmly back to that. I use olive oil or canola oil.

Reddanbacher tastes great and almost all of it pops.

Milestones, in 1969 New Orleans was a test market for Orville Redenbacher popcorn. So that September when I returned to college, I brought along a supply. I believe that I introduced Redenbacher's to my college campus!

The picture of Orville on the label was exactly the same as what it was for the remainder of his life, except that he had a flat top!

I would never waste my money on "microwave popcorn" with all that crap on it. Just throw regular popcorn in a brown paper bag and toss it in the microwave. Of course, that leaves you with the same problem as the Presto popper, but I'd rather add my own butter than have the stuff flavored by that chemical swill.

My vote's for Orville, too: the original. And follow Orv's proportions of kernels VS. oil.

I use peanut oil, a neutral taste, and it'll get hotter before any kind of smoking. Put the oil in the pan (an old dutch oven thing in my case), add half a dozen kernels and put the lid on.

When they pop you know the oil's hot enough, so dump the rest in and shake the whole thing. Now, leave the lid slightly askew to vent the steam and keep shaking the pot. When the popping has just about stopped, take it off the heat and remove the lid. Toss it into a bowl with some salt and butter if you wish...

Yummy!

We used to buy the bagged microwave stuff. God, I put up with that for too long, knowing that I was sacrificing taste for convenience. A few years ago, I finally came to my senses and got one of these, for popping quality popcorn in the microwave: http://www.amazon.com/Presto-04830-PowerPop-Microwave-Multi-Popper/dp/B00005IBXK

National-Presto-04830-rw-153355-255788.j

You don't need oil (although you still have that option), and the results have been great. I know that the Orville R corn is very good quality, but I haven't gone that route yet with this new popper (happened to get some Pop Secret, which is also very good).

The biggest struggle I have now is trying to add butter evenly, without ending up with sogginess at the bottom of the bowl.

Edited by Jim R

Stovetop. I usually heat olive oil, butter, and coconut oil. Toss a few kernels in. Close the lid. Pop! Pop! Toss in the rest. Close the lid. Shake across burner until popping slows to a stop. Salt. Close lid. Shake. Serve.

I grew up with microwave popcorn, and I have no idea why. Strange phenomenon.

I grew up with a mom who made it on the stovetop up until the very last time she ever made popcorn. My lovely wife who is quite often very particular about what she feeds us made it on the stovetop too until she tried some good microwave, upon which reflected on the old-school effort involved and gave her lady-like equivalent of "pshaw, fuck THAT nonsense!" She doesn't do that much (or often), but when she does, she don't be no walking it back, ever.

Me, I really don't see enough of a difference to make it matter, at least as far as making up a batch to mindless y chomp on, which, if I'm to be honest, is the only reason I'll eat regular popcorn.

I do like this kettle korn thing, though, but damn if I'm going to do whatever it is you have to do to make that, what is it, a kettle and all sorts of, what are they called, ingredients, is that it? I'll let the Boy Scouts sell me that.

I ate microwave for years until I saw kernels on sale at my local Aldi. Bought a bag, followed the directions(1/8 inch of oil, put in 1 kernel, once it pops put in enough to make a single layer of kernels, cover and shake, take off heat when popping slows down, salt, butter if desired) and I love it, great popcorn. I use canola oil, but I'm sure peanut oil works well, too.

I use canola oil, but I'm sure peanut oil works well, too.

Phil, I learned just recently that "canola" is merely a word coined by marketers for a variety of rapeseed!

The CAN stands for Canada, which is where the rapeseed is grown (and where, at the Univ. of Manitoba, the variety was developed). OLA stands for "oil, low acid."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canola

Jim, I've noticed the PowerPop before, but I see that you also have to buy a number of something called the Concentrator. How long does each Concentrator last?

OK, I've gone to gopresto.com and found my answer.

Sorry I missed your question, GA. Be aware that the concentrators can last longer than the instructions suggest. I'm still on my first one, and I've probably used it nearly double the amount of uses it was supposed to have. It's kind of like a desktop printer telling you that you need to replace the ink before you can keep printing, which often proves false (at least in my experience).