East Wind Reissue

Victor Christensen

As I recall from back in the day, the Reggie Lucas and Hubert Eaves titles were a jazz-rock/funky-disco blend that wasn't very distinctive. Certainly nothing like Miles; more like Stanley Clarke wannabes.

One side of the Reggie Lucas album was like that, but the other side was a bunch of stuff that is very much in between On The Corner & Get Up With It.

I only played that one side once or twice, but the Miles-y stuff I played a lot.

On a completely unrelated note, that Air Pocket thing will appeal to anybody who digs hyper-complex Zappa-is fusion material It's a Fowler Brothers project. I cuaght it on a blog, played it once, and put it away

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I recall from back in the day, the Reggie Lucas and Hubert Eaves titles were a jazz-rock/funky-disco blend that wasn't very distinctive. Certainly nothing like Miles; more like Stanley Clarke wannabes.

One side of the Reggie Lucas album was like that, but the other side was a bunch of stuff that is very much in between On The Corner & Get Up With It.

I only played that one side once or twice, but the Miles-y stuff I played a lot.

On a completely unrelated note, that Air Pocket thing will appeal to anybody who digs hyper-complex Zappa-is fusion material It's a Fowler Brothers project. I cuaght it on a blog, played it once, and put it away

Well wouldn't ya know it, only the side one tracks are on youtube. The first cut, Slewfoot actually sounds pretty good. Would love to check out those side two tracks :)

I ordered one with Sam Morrison as a sideman and his as a leader.

I know nothing of him, other than reading that he played with Miles in 1975. What is Dune like?

I only to my knowledge have heard what he has done with Miles (on bootleg) and liked that. So I'm taking a leap of faith here, have never heard Dune.

I heartily recommend the Art Farmer studio albums; this was a great time in his career. In particular, "The Summer Knows" is one of my favorite jazz albums, period. I don't particularly love the "At Boomers" CDs...like too many live sessions of that period, the tunes simply go on for too long, and seem kinda flabby as a result. YMMV.

Re the Great Jazz Trio's Village Vanguard sessions: they're all really good, consistently so. There's a really nice balance between Hank Jones's class and classicism, and Carter and Williams's more modern thing and higher energy. They don't let Hank get too sleepy, and he reins in their desire to race off at the tracks.

Any thoughts on the Don Friedman and the Ronnie Mathews?

I have one of the Haigs, "Duke 'n' Bird," which I got as an eMusic download back in the day. Nice, almost classical in its arrangements. I suspect that Allen Lowe can speak far more knowledgeably about the music, but I did enjoy it.

I placed an order with CDJapan for the Sam Jones, Hank Jones Hanky Panky, the Tristano and The Pentagon. In addition, I got Attila Zoller - When It's Time and Eddie Costa - House of Blue Lights. The new exchange rate is kinda nice.

Don Friedman's "Hope for tomorrow " is really good . Al Haig's "Chelsea Bridge" I recall as being a bit dull. I'll spin both LPs this afternoon to check

I'm a big Friedman guy. Can you provide details on that session?

From CDJapan and google translate:

[EAST WIND MASTERS COLLECTION 1000] Jazz label recommend adults JAZZ! Japan, which started in 1975 is world-class, East Wind. "To celebrate the 40th anniversary of the label, all catalogs 1000 yen limited recurrence (excluding tax). The series release for the first time in '13. People board" Circle Waltz "(Riverside) from '13. Bill Evans School Don Friedman of pianist, and make full use of Akopi and electric piano rock beat tone unique work that was played at the center of the original number of. mysterious and exciting trinity sound listening far from the. [personnel] Don Friedman (p , el-p), Lynn Christie (b), Bill Goodwin (ds) ● 7 月 8th- and the 9th, 1975, to use the recording ● DSD remastered in New York
Tracklisting
HOPE FOR TOMORROW / Don Friedman
Hope for Tomorrow / Don Friedman
A PLACE WITHIN / Don Friedman
A Place WITHIN / Don Friedman
PAULA'S WISH / Don Friedman
Porazu Wish / Don Friedman
BEEDIES / Don Friedman
Bee Deeds / Don Friedman
CANVAS ON MY MIND / Don Friedman
Canvas On My Mind / Don Friedman
LULLABY FOR LYNNE / Don Friedman
Lullaby-for-phosphorus / Don Friedman

:)

Are you guys that have these very low total costs going for the cheap shipping option? The reason I ask is that I broke down and bought some of those SHM BN discs and shipping got a little pricey (bec I used fedex and wanted to be sure that all went well for my first order from them). Want to place a larger order but don't want to get killed on the shipping.

Edited by Jay

Just noticed Joe Sample The Three on this list. That's a very nice "modern straight-ahead" session, nothing at all like his or The Crusaders' work of the times (not that there's anything wrong with that, but, you know, some people might worry).

I remember stumbling across that album once, I saw The Three and excitedly pulled it out of the rack only to discover it had nothing to do with The Three Sounds or Gene Harris.

Man was I pissed. :rmad::rmad:

Just noticed Joe Sample The Three on this list. That's a very nice "modern straight-ahead" session, nothing at all like his or The Crusaders' work of the times (not that there's anything wrong with that, but, you know, some people might worry).

The other 2/3 being Ray Brown and Shelly Manne. It is a nice, straight-ahead session. A little short, though, since it was originally a direct-to-disc. But really, you could do a lot worse. (It was probably titled just "The Three" because of contractual reasons re Sample.)