Weinberg / Vainberg (Clap Hands Here Comes Mieczyslaw)

MomsMobley

Larry Kart's been listening and though I initially scoffed, making the Lester Young & Paul Quinichette comparison, I believe that was incorrect, victim of DSCH hegemony... Weinberg is at least-- at least!-- Dexter, Teddy, Harold Land, maybe more... Most people until recently heard (read) so little Weinberg... but this is changing the music is why (i.e. Shosty is great but there's lots else to glom onto there for those so inclined... and who wouldn't be?)

more anon

Well we have discussed Weinberg before and I can only repeat that I have given him time and really do not understand the valuation that recording companies and collectors place on him. Not conductors, orchestras, soloists, or concert promoters, as far as I can tell. I just don't hear him making any interesting moves.

Well we have discussed Weinberg before and I can only repeat that I have given him time and really do not understand the valuation that recording companies and collectors place on him. Not conductors, orchestras, soloists, or concert promoters, as far as I can tell. I just don't hear him making any interesting moves.

have you read interviews with the musicians who have taken up Weinberg? they would disagree with the impetus here & since nobody is getting rich-- few probably even breaking even-- recording/distributing, performing Weinberg... Kremer 2-cd set on ECM just the latest...

Larry Kart's been listening and though I initially scoffed, making the Lester Young & Paul Quinichette comparison, I believe that was incorrect, victim of DSCH hegemony... Weinberg is at least-- at least!-- Dexter, Teddy, Harold Land, maybe more... Most people until recently heard (read) so little Weinberg... but this is changing the music is why (i.e. Shosty is great but there's lots else to glom onto there for those so inclined... and who wouldn't be?)

more anon

Glad that you've come to feel this way, but I don't agree with the implicit dis of Quinichette. Yes, he's very close to 1940s Pres but within that intense affinity Lady Q definitely had his own thing IMO. Don't recall ever mistaking either one for the other. Check out Quinichette on "For Basie" with Shad Collins or "For Lady" with Webster Young (see below). And there's a lot more Quinichette of value on record. Yes, it is quite unusual, perhaps even exceptional, for a man to model himself so closely on another player and still be a creative figure in his own right, but that's what I hear.

I've really enjoyed the Weinberg discs on Chandos and Naxos released in recent years. Never had any problem with music created within an existing idiom. Although it frequently reminds me of Shostakovich, so what? There's no end of jazz or folk or rock that reminds me of other jazz or folk or rock.

I'm glad there are composers in every era trying to push beyond the frontiers of what is the norm for that era. But that does not mean that there is not plenty of enjoyable music being created within those frontiers.

This one is very enjoyable too:

51ZQEycO0BL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Edited by A Lark Ascending

more anon

Glad that you've come to feel this way, but I don't agree with the implicit dis of Quinichette. Yes, he's very close to 1940s Pres but within that intense affinity Lady Q definitely had his own thing IMO. Don't recall ever mistaking either one for the other. Check out Quinichette on "For Basie" with Shad Collins or "For Lady" with Webster Young (see below). And there's a lot more Quinichette of value on record. Yes, it is quite unusual, perhaps even exceptional, for a man to model himself so closely on another player and still be a creative figure in his own right, but that's what I hear.

I agree with Larry. There are many recordings by Quinichette that I find very worthwhile. Not only the two Larry mentioned, but also

"The Kid From Denver" on Dawn, and "Like Basie" reissued on Mighty Quinn.

oh I like Quinichette a lot-- just more, ah, 'functionally' than as an inspiration or whatnot. And for the many Basie-ite functions I yet host & have attended, those two Swingville sides are corkers.

re: Moishe / Mieczyslaw, anyone know, rate the "Requiem"?

Mark Stryker, very hep you saw Kremer and having a top Weinberg program on ECM will hopefully kick awareness up a notch.

Listening to this now btw--

I just ran across what may be the most characteristically nutty/grotesque (mostly in a positive sense) Weinberg work I've ever heard, the 18-minute, 5-movement Sonata op. 108 for solo double bass. There's a version on YouTube, but the one on Spotify, from a CPO disc -- played by Nabil Shehata, principal double bassist of the Berlin Philharmonic -- is much superior IMO.

I see that another recording of the violin concerto is about to appear, this time recorded by Ilya Gringolts. The disc also includes the 4th Symphony.

http://www.europadisc.co.uk/classical/120400/Weinberg_-_Violin_Concerto,_Symphony_No.4.htm

The blurb amused me though:

'Although Weinberg’s music bears traces of the acerbic wit, melancholy and grotesquery associated with Shostakovich, his lively, neoclassical idiom remains accessible in the manner of film music.'

Gosh ;)

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...