Mike Nesmith is Better Than and More Important Than Gram Parsons

Teasing the Korean

Can't say that I've ever had the Gram Parsons bug myself, or, really, the Nesmith bug, so you may be right. Or not.

If it helps, I think the Byrds were a better album band then The Monkees, but The Monkees were an infinitely better singles band.

Cant we have a binomial and throw Rick Nelson into this?

And Mike Nesmith invented MTV, or something like that. And he begat, sorta, Linda Ronstadt. One deep foul and then fooled by a change-up.

So to protect the plate with an 0-2 count, there's this:

The flip side of Valleri, and once in a while a local (as in Longview & Tyler) DJ would give it some air time. Of course, this was when local DJs could get by with that type of thing, but everything is at some time, right? Not a particularly great song, but I still love the intro.

There, I've said it.

I agree.

are you trying to bait me? Gram Parsons is dogshit; a LOUSY country singer in a genre that demands brilliance, a worse white 'soul' singer (hardee har har, "To Love Somebody" in a world of Bee Gees and James Carr)... at best he had an adequate light voice for some bluegrass/folk tunes on the first Burritos album... Byrds "Sweetheart" is garbage... and the two solo albums are fluff with a couple OK songs... only "rock" heads, by accident or prejudice, unfamiliar with country repertoire & the HUGE # of superior singers & songwriters could be gulled... but he was rich & traded heroin suppositories w/ Keith, big deal... and then there was a generation who wanted to sleep with almost always insipid (but ooooh, so tastey) Emmylou because hey, they understand, man...

Gram stole 97% of his schtick from Bobby Bare, who kills him in every way possible except death btw but since "rock" don't know from Bare...

re: Nesmith, a pretty good songwriter, a little tedious with the girl/women problems, solo albums are inconsistent but flecked w/ brilliance, even that last RCA one w/ synthesizers, "The Prison" ain't exactly the Prisonaires or "Escape From Alcatraz" (watch for the Don Siegel direction, not Clint) etc etc. Later Mike is a "tastey" snooze, lost it near completely but still, you know, "pleasant," "Spanish" guitar solos included.

Ricky Nelson country rock via Buck Owens destroys Gram in every way also but that goes without saying.

Spare me the Monkees musical shit otherwise unless you were a adolescent/teenage girl OR are willing to pay no less than $100/foot for your interconnects, of which you must have multiple sets because each brand/forumalation is optimized for different styles of music, etc. TV show was decent, "Head" better than that.

i could go continue for days but in no way does Gram rate except legend, while Nesmith is a notable, if not major, country rocker. Gene Clark and Doug Sahm (to say the least) far better than both.

ignore the anachronistic Waylon image here & know he was mostly greater pre- "outlaw" than post- (ego tumors & cocaine kill)

Edited by MomsMobley

I've enjoyed The Burritos, Sweetheart and the solo albums - some marvellous songs and performances there. But also got the impression of an emerging talent rather than a fully formed one.

I expect Parsons became a legend where Nesmith remains less known because the former lived the rock and roll lifestyle in full view. It's what legends are made of.

If you want to fully understand what was happening in LA "rock circles" there at the ass-end of the sixties, you are in some wahy obligated to own copies of the first three Nesmith First National Band LPs. Besides, he had Red Rhodes on pedal steel.

Always loved Zappa's Byrds reference in this little bit, how it breaks Nesmith up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNJy-OgCzB0

PS - more incontrovertible, IMHO, Souled American > the entire mass of "No Depression" bands

Edited by Joe

My impression of Gram Parsons isn't what it was when I was 18 and damn near worshipped the guy, but I sure don't think he's nothing. He had a spirit in him that comes through in his best work, and nothing he did was less than fine. Now, is it fair to put him against James Carr? That's not fair to anyone. Like most he's suffered his share of overinflated posthumous blabbery but that's not fair to hold against him either. Is what it is.

For my part I never could cotton onto the idea that The Monkees were anything less than junk, despite whatever cred Mike Nesmith lays claim to, Head included. Just don't buy it and never will. The idea that The Byrds are a lesser singles band than anyone is personally offensive to me.

Most important takeaway? Gene Parsons had the talent, Gram Parsons had the spark, and Gene Clark is the most superior white rock musician of the 1960s era.

My 2 cents, YMMV^ ∞

Gene Clark is to Gram Parsons as Arthur Lee is to Jim Morrison. Papa Nes is no Townes Van Zandt, to be sure, but he's no Mac Davis either.

Nesmith has appeared recently on PORTLANDIA. He still has comedy chops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRm0I7cTSNE

There was a BS quotient to his solo tour last year (the spoken introductions to the songs), but the songs themselves retain much of their charm.

Edited by Joe

I feel strongly both ways. When I'm traveling to the north country fair, i like to tote a great, authentic singer-songwriter record or two or a dozen, I like a man's or lady's first few, that's where it's usually at. Don't matter whose is best, you just gotta like it or love it or not. And for the record, when I go long, I go with the first two Burrito records as the benchmark recordings of Parsons' life, good sheet smokin hippy music, comparable to Workingman's and Baxter's..... let's roll another and keep me happy all the time.

...and Gene Clark is the most superior white rock musician of the 1960s era.

Gene Clark was the single greatest component of the Byrds.

Not exactly equivalent statements, not sure if you meant them to be. In any case I think Gene Clark is every bit as overrated by his supports as Gran Parsons is by his. Both are better than Pigpen, unless you take that as comedy - but even then...