Gene Clark

Teasing the Korean

I saw Gene Clark in Atlanta, not too long before he died, I guess in the late '80s. He was touring with a group called The Byrds, but it was just him and four other guys. He sang lead. It was all Byrds songs.

I'm glad to have been able to see him, but I can't say that I was all that impressed. There wasn't anything bad about the show; it just wasn't that big a deal.

now you want to talk white boys with soul

(+ Jesse Ed Davis, guitar & the Indian of the group.)

i once, for a few weeks anyway, paid lip service to the idea "No Other" was overrproduced but that's ridiculous; it's PERFECTLY, brilliantly produced... that some younger musicians have recognized it's towerring acheievment is one of the happier pop/rock resucitations of recent years (decades). Moment to moment, only peak Lowell George matches it & Lowell's peak-- ends with a couple songs on "Dixie Chicken" & never returns-- was a whole lot shorter.

to be continued

Yeah, you can't judge Clark as a songwriter by his years with The Byrds. Not that he did not write some fine, fine songs for them ("I'll Feel a Whole Lot Better"). But the real deal is to be found on the Dillard & Clark LPs, the 70s solo albums, and even on occasion in the 80s, when he went full-on Nashville and experienced a sort of mini-Renaissance.

Here's a pretty good anthology that pulls work fro all these disparate sources and provides a fuller picture of what the man's music was all about.

1246653.jpg

http://www.allmusic.com/album/flying-high-mw0000453561

• 3 years later...