Opinions on Analogue Productions Prestige mono series?

Homefromtheforest

I have Miles "Cookin" and "Steamin", along with a couple Sonny Rollins titles, and they sound really excellent. I'd recommend them and am planning to pick up a few more.

There is a stereo series coming out at some point as well that has some interesting titles.

Edited by vinyltim

I've been thinking about looking into this as well. I'm tired of finding Prestige originals / early pressing only to find they were pressed with crappy, noisy vinyl.

Any idea if there are any differences between the AP's and the OJC's pressed at the same facility, presumably with the same plating?

These are newly mastered versions and pressed at QRP.

The covers are very nice and the vinyl is much heavier than OJC.

I compared the titles I got to OJC versions, and the APs were better in every case. That said, the OJCs do sound good, and you can buy 4 of them used for the price of one of these new ones.

Edited by vinyltim

So I bought 3 titles on this series and will be buying about 8 more. They look and sound superb and will definitely be buying the upcoming Dolphy titles in the stereo series. Original Prestige vinyl was not the greatest..I've heard even scratch-free copies that were noisy. So for a tiny fraction of a "mint"(ie could still be noisy recycled vinyl) original you get a top notch replica with far better sound.

I bought several from the mono releases and like the sound quite a bit. I have a preference for their older 45 rpm versions which sound a bit better, but that's not a knock against the new ones.

I have a bunch of original Prestige/New Jazz (the former on the older NYC and later NJ address fireworks label) and none of them play as quiet as these reissues.

I'm also really happy that for the stereo releases they are releasing some material that doesn't usually get a vinyl reissue like all the Booker Ervin titles. I just wish Space Book was amongst them!

So now I got 16 of the 25 titles in the mono series. I was lucky to buy these all from a local collector for $20 Canadian (that's about $15 usd now) and they are all in pristine condition. I skipped a few of the Miles Davis titles because I'm happy enough with how they sound in my AP "great prestige recordings" Miles box.

I must give special mention to the Tommy Flanagan trio record which was recorded in Europe; this one in particular sounds fantastic!

I also have a handful of original prestige/new jazz titles and agree that these new reissues sound better.

I find Esquires to provide the best sounding original vinyl pressings of Prestige material - and they usually have 'RVG' in the runout. To be honest though, you really can't go wrong with the 70s RCA 24000 series twofer reissues either (apart from the French Carrerre versions), which can usually be picked up at moderate price. Don't think I have any Analog Production titles.

Edited by sidewinder

Red Garland - All Mornin' Long; Phil Woods/Don Byrd - Young Bloods; Phil Woods - Woodlore; Rollins Plays for Bird; George Wallington - Jazz for the Carriage Trade

I need to spend more time with a couple of these sessions, like Elmo Hope's Informal Jazz and both of the Mobleys.

I'll have to give both the Mobleys another spin. I'm a huge fan, but in the past didn't find the two Prestige albums that inspiring.

• 4 weeks later...