Quality 70's Blue Note Albums

JCR1992

I'm looking for good blue note albums during the 70's. I'm looking for actual material that was recorded in that decade. So no rainbow series albums or anything like that.

I've gotten some CD's from the 70's already. I have enjoyed Horace Silver's In Pursuit of the 27th Man and the Silver N' Series. However I hated the United States of Mind Trilogy (expect That Healin' Feelin', the title track)

I also enjoyed Lee Morgan's Last Album but wasn't crazy about Bobby Hutcherson's Head on.

I am interested in any straight ahead jazz and some early mild fusion but nothing like Donald Byrd's Black Byrd, Street Lady and etc.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A hesitant recommendation for this one, because it's interesting, but not great, and very damn overlooked:

nhkq.jpg

Mickey Tucker, Roland Hanna, Richard Davis and Eddie Gladden. How can that fail, you ask. Well it doesn't. But how does that not totally kick ass you then ask. Well, you and me both.

Of course, there's Bobby Hutcherson's Knucklebean (at the very least) and Elvin's 70s sides. And if you don't mind a little funk in your junk, Grant Green, up to and including Visions, although mileages vary greatly on that.

If you like the Brazilian, go for the Moacir Santos items. Some better than others, even on the same album, but still, worthy, all.

Myself, I like the Marlena Shaw & Chico Hamilton albums, as well as the first Ronnie Laws and Noel Pointer sides. But I'll be damned if I'll recommend them to you without knowing you first. Also, still making up my mind about the Carmen McRae things.

The Elvin Jones Mosaic set. Much of this is available via single CD.

The Bobby Hutcherson Mosaic Select.

Lee Morgan - LIve At The Lighthouse - 3CD set.

Chick Corea - Song of Singing.

Donald Byrd - Kofi.

Hank Mobley - Thinking of Home.

Edited by Eric

In addition to 1970s releases by Elvin Jones, Bobby Hutcherson and Lee Morgan, there are:

Lonnie Smith, Drives, Live at Club Mozambique

McCoy Tyner, Extensions, Cosmos, Asante

Jeremy Steig, Wayfaring Stranger

Donald Byrd, Electric Byrd

Grant Green, Alive, Live at the Lighthouse

Wayne Shorter, Odyssey of Iska

Big John Patton, Memphis to New York Spirit

I just checked out "Delphi" from the New Heritage album and I liked it!

Is Knucklebean anything like Head On because I was very dissapointed in that. That was recommended to me and it's kind of halted my progress in buying other Hutcherson CD's. I like him on Gettin' Around and The Procrastinator but I'm skeptical about buying albums where he's the leader.

Lol I'll pass on the Noel Pointer. I think Phatazia, is that how you spell it? Was the album I've heard by him and it didn't do anything for me.

The Elvin Jones Mosaic set. Much of this is available via single CD.

The Bobby Hutcherson Mosaic Select.

Lee Morgan - LIve At The Lighthouse - 3CD set.

Chick Corea - Song of Singing.

Donald Byrd - Kofi.

Hank Mobley - Thinking of Home.

Been looking for that Lee Morgan boxset for a while. I'm trying to find one near $30-35 bucks. Should I just buy it at $50 plus?

Knucklebean is a pretty straight-ahead affair w/Freddie Hubbard * George Cables on board and in good form. Head On is not like it, not too much at all.

Cirrus is another good Hutch album from the 70s. Woody Shaw & Harold Land on that one. Recording's a little weird for my taste, though, weird balances and reverbs and shit. Maybe it's been done better on CD, I don't know. I only have the LP.

I can only speak to the Eddie Henderson things as somebody who heard them in real time (and after having been fully immersed in the earlier Capricorn sides). At the time they seemed kind of a "pull back", but as time has leveled all that out, they are pretty good on their own terms. Better by far than most of the Blue Note Hits A New Note fare of the time, no doubt about that.

If you can find a cheap, I mean cheap, copy of Bobbi Humphrey's Flute In, consider it, because Lee Morgan & Billy Harper put in a few brief moments. But really, don't pay too much for it, if you know what I mean. I found a somewhat plowed LP for $1.50 and I had to think about whether I overpaid before finally deciding no, but just barely.

In fact, don't pay for it at all if you can help it. You can get far better late Lee (and early-ish Billy) on a couple of Charles Earland Prestige records. Those are worth paying for.

In addition to 1970s releases by Elvin Jones, Bobby Hutcherson and Lee Morgan, there are:

Is Odyssey of Iska better than Moto Grosso Feio?

I'm trying to understand that album but its kind of extreme.

Supernova is pretty similar right?

Knucklebean is a pretty straight-ahead affair w/Freddie Hubbard * George Cables on board and in good form. Head On is not like it, not too much at all.

Cirrus is another good Hutch album from the 70s. Woody Shaw & Harold Land on that one. Recording's a little weird for my taste, though, weird balances and reverbs and shit. Maybe it's been done better on CD, I don't know. I only have the LP.

I can only speak to the Eddie Henderson things as somebody who heard them in real time (and after having been fully immersed in the earlier Capricorn sides). At the time they seemed kind of a "pull back", but as time has leveled all that out, they are pretty good on their own terms. Better by far than most of the Blue Note Hits A New Note fare of the time, no doubt about that.

If you can find a cheap, I mean cheap, copy of Bobbi Humphrey's Flute In, consider it, because Lee Morgan & Billy Harper put in a few brief moments. But really, don't pay too much for it, if you know what I mean. I found a somewhat plowed LP for $1.50 and I had to think about whether I overpaid before finally deciding no, but just barely.

In fact, don't pay for it at all if you can help it. You can get far better late Lee (and early-ish Billy) on a couple of Charles Earland Prestige records. Those are worth paying for.

Wow I just listened to two tracks from Knucklebean. I might buy that CD tonight. That was excellent!!

I checked out the Bobbi Humphrey tunes with Lee and I didn't like it too much. The Sidewinder was decent but I don't know if it is just because it was familiar.

Plus I don't collect any vinyl. I'm 22 so all I know is CD's and MP3's basically.

My dad said I should consider buying some LP's but I'm not sure yet.

Others can comment on your first question, but Supernova is a little more straight-ahead than the other two. It is my favorite of the bunch by a wide margin.

Odyssey of Iska is one of Wayne Shorter's best, in my opinion.

Edited by kh1958

So, what is it about 70s BNs that you are interested in? Their best years were the 50s-60s.

I have so many from those two decades so it only makes sense to get some stuff from the 70's.

I don't have EVERY good release from those decades but I have enough at the moment.

Odyssey of Iska is one of Wayne Shorter's best, in my opinion.

I just checked it out and liked it way more than Moto Grosso Feio. "Calm" was amazing.

McCoy's Extensions is probably my favorite by him, and Asante is fantastic as well. I also love Bobby Hutcherson's Head On, though I guess that was a bust for you. Donald Byrd's early electric stuff (Electric Byrd, Ethiopian Knights) is also good. I don't know if I have heard anything else that's relevant.

There are only a couple that are really worth having. I wouldn't allocate too much funds to seventies BN if I were you.

So far there has been 7 titles recommended to me that I will purchase. The 70's blue notes surely won't get the same attention

as the 50's or 60's material but I could see myself having a pretty good amount.

McCoy's Extensions is probably my favorite by him, and Asante is fantastic as well. I also love Bobby Hutcherson's Head On, though I guess that was a bust for you. Donald Byrd's early electric stuff (Electric Byrd, Ethiopian Knights) is also good. I don't know if I have heard anything else that's relevant.

Extensions is very good. I need to still get Expansions as well. I think I will give Head on another chance possibly later this week.

I just listened to "The Dude" on Electric Byrd. It reminded me a lot of Fat Albert Rotunda so I believe I'll definitley enjoy this.